Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8636 8637 [8638] 8639 8640 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520751 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129555 on: December 22, 2017, 08:07:04 pm »

So apparently the issue was the place I'm currently at had a router issue and it was unplugged and plugged back in and works again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129556 on: December 22, 2017, 09:48:15 pm »

Good grief, this forum really jumps at any chance to begin espousing the evils of the demon drink.
The mere mention of the word "teetotallers" sets the bandwagon a-rolling. :P

I must say, I somewhat dislike the inclusion of vegans alongside "atheists, tee-totallers and ex-smokers" - those are all purely personal choices, whereas the whole point of veganism is refusing to take part in perpetuating the wholly unnecessary suffering of beings other than yourself. (I'm pretty sure the occasional weirdo who follows such a diet for health reasons is more correctly referred to as "plant-based", rather than vegan.)   
Well, I guess an anti-smokers argument could be based around the nuisance of secondhand smoke, but eh. Still pretty different.   

Point is, though, I don't really make a habit of preaching my beliefs on animal rights to people (although that's probably more to do with my social anxiety and lack of confidence, aka 'cowardice'), especially not my parents with whom I generally try my best to get along well with despite all the weird and/or stupid shit they get up to.
Generally they tend to extend the same courtesy to me, which is why in this case I was caught off-guard.

Also, never trust a teetotaller. Just what are they doing with all that money they save by avoiding astronomical bar prices? Shifty bastards, hoarding wealth for nefarious purposes no doubt...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #129557 on: December 22, 2017, 10:03:05 pm »

Eh. Nah, a good chunk of anti-religion and general anti-drug sentiment is based on refusing to take part in perpetuating the whole unnecessary suffering of beings other than yourself thing, too. Alcohol is one of the primary causes of vehicle related deaths, ferex, tobacco is a hefty weight on most healthcare systems (and there's stuff like prenatal issues, too, iirc) which drains all sorts of resources that could be helping others, so on, so forth. It's hella' easy to have very much non-personal concerns influencing decisions to abstain or minimize use of most sorts of mostly-recreational drugs.

Dislike of organized religions (if maybe not straight up atheism) because of what they do to other people isn't exactly a small part of that stuff, either. Pretty sure I recall you being in australia, which iirc had a fairly recent report come out involving that subject and child (sexual?) abuse, just as an example.

E: Did just hit me that if I make it to the grave without falling off the proverbial bus, I'll be the first male of my particular convergence of bloodlines, least as far back as we've found record enough to know, that didn't spend some or most of their lives addicted to alcohol. Almost makes me feel like having no intention to have kids is something like a waste; I'd be one of the very few in my family tree that didn't subject their children to spending part of their life having a parent at least half in the bottle...

Not nearly enough to offset the desire not to inflict the slate of genetic fuckups that are pretty certain to have been a major cause of that history on someone, but still. Never really percolated that I'd be more or less the first. Feels melancholy, man.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:36:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #129558 on: December 23, 2017, 12:06:10 am »

My view of vegetarians can be summed up quite simply: Vegetables are what food eats.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129559 on: December 23, 2017, 12:22:27 am »

My view of vegetarians can be summed up quite simply: Vegetables are what food eats.
But yellow squash and zucchini are so tasty.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129560 on: December 23, 2017, 12:34:23 am »

Mine aren't so harsh/black-white.

More broken down depending on TYPE of vegetarian..

1) Animals are friends, not food (and associated "all meat is cruelty" and other hyperbole)
No, sorry. Not buying it. Having raised food animals free range in my youth, and personally knowing people that still do, no. Just no. If you want to believe that, you can join the ranks of other irrational belief holders, but you wont be able to convince me you are right. I will budge a little, and agree that most food animals are grown in abysmal conditions-- but most is not *all*. I do just as much to help combat factory farming by buying exclusively from known free range growers as you do by boycotting meat entirely. Also, it helps to research what happens to "Strategy R herbivores" when they do not have predation. Just sayin'. (Chickens are a mostly strategy R critter, and I eats me a LOT of chicken.)

2) "I just dont like meat"
Ok, Fine. No problem, I wont force you to eat it. I will continue to enjoy my grilled chicken sandwich though.

3) Producing meat is resource inefficient; that land should be used to grow soybeans instead. (etc)
This is a very "human centric" (as in, maximizing immediate human use), and less "Ecologically mindful" view! While factory raised meat animals certainly fit this bill, free-range actually serves a valuable role as a preserve for a wide assortment of wild ecologies, which is NOT WASTED LAND.  Monoculture, which "plant all that to soybeans" et al directly requires, is devastating to the environment. Animal pasturage can happen on tracts of land not suitable for crop based agriculture. (Brush and trees, rocky, brooks and streams etc...) This is very apples and oranges. Asserting that you can just turn that pasturage into productive cropland like magic is nonsense: Production will be very low, cost to cultivate will be very high, and chance of crop failure will be very high. It works best being what it is-- marginal land left to wild plant and animal species, with food animals allowed to graze on it. This produces an economic incentive to leave that land alone (so it does not become an erosion hazard, or worse) Granted, this only works properly when PROPER grazing practices are observed, and economic forces favor cramming too many animals into too small a space, but it is still much more feasible than turning it into soybeans.

4) Meat is unhealthy
This is not exactly true, but not exactly false. Like basically all food items, overconsumption is not healthy. People like meat; we are evolutionarily programmed to love it, because it is rich in proteins and fats, with little filler (cellulose is bulk fiber filler. Meat? No fiber.) It is very nutrient dense. As such, people tend to over-consume meat. Meat is a good thing to add to a diet, not a good thing to dominate a diet.  In moderation, meat makes a great nutritional supplement that tastes great.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #129561 on: December 23, 2017, 12:41:17 am »

vegetarian options suck here so it's not an option for me

if i move somewhere where i can i probably would just because vegetarian food is fucking awesome

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129562 on: December 23, 2017, 12:43:19 am »

good summery. I tend to encounter a lot of "meat tastes bad" type arguments. Which is normally based on saying that unseasoned meat doesn't taste good. I find this both wrong and rather like an excuse for other justifications they don't want to say. Most food is rather bland if simply raw or cooked and that which is not generally has sugar in it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129563 on: December 23, 2017, 12:44:30 am »

With enough of the right sauces, anything vaguely organic can taste good.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129564 on: December 23, 2017, 12:55:21 am »

I just don't consider meat to be valid food, due to having not been raised eating it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #129565 on: December 23, 2017, 06:35:53 am »

The only thing worse than a preachy teetotaller is an insistent drinker.
Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129566 on: December 23, 2017, 07:53:38 am »

Or a serial/organized criminal/terrorist/totalitarian dictator's lackey murderer. Those are pretty close to the worst.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129567 on: December 23, 2017, 07:57:09 am »

Or someone who talks at the theatre. There's a special hell for those, I've heard.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #129568 on: December 23, 2017, 08:22:50 am »

Or someone who talks at the theatre. There's a special hell for those, I've heard.
They are the real terrorists.

Batman vs Superman was not a good movie. But what made it worse was that there were a pair of teenage girls behind me TALKING ALL THE DAMN TIME, COMMENTING EVERY SCENE EVEN IF IT WAS JUST A CHARACTER CAMLY WALKING DOWN A CORRIDOR. Everyone in the theatre was telling them to shut the fuck up. Their friends were telling them to shut the fuck up. And they didn't. It was horrible.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129569 on: December 23, 2017, 09:09:16 am »

1) Animals are friends, not food (and associated "all meat is cruelty" and other hyperbole)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 8636 8637 [8638] 8639 8640 ... 11037