Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8615 8616 [8617] 8618 8619 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517357 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129240 on: December 07, 2017, 01:57:55 pm »

Well, apparently Patreon has just decided to shaft me and everybody else who pledges small amounts to many creators. They switched to a system where the patrons pay a fixed processing fee for each of their pledges, despite the fact that they themselves use batch processing, and therefore don't actually have to pay their payment processor for each pledge. It appears as a blatant cash grab disguised as "ensuring creators get more" (creators actually now get less of what you pay percentage-wise), and will also reflect on creators for whom $1 and $2 pledgers make the bulk of their support. And there's a lot of those.
They're also keeping a poker face on social media and basically just deflecting all questions.
I'm actually kinda pissed. I had a fixed amount that I was ready to contribute monthly, and now they went and increased that amount on me unilaterally. That was a fucking trash move.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129241 on: December 07, 2017, 04:21:17 pm »

That really sucks.

My browser cache cleared itself for no apparent reason. This set up an embarassing chain of forgotten passwords in which I had to log into my school email to log into gmail to log into facebook.
One wheel short of a wagon

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129242 on: December 07, 2017, 07:56:03 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl39KHS07Xc&t

Nice new Kurzgesagt video explaining UBI. Comments section: Communism REEEEEEEEE

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129243 on: December 07, 2017, 09:55:03 pm »

I watched that video, and while I like all of Kurz's videos, I just plain disagree with UBI. I think the increasing modernization of the world is increasingly making people bored and unhappy with life, that people natively need the threat of death in their lives, and the threat needs to be real and constant, as opposed to simply hypothetical, to actually squeeze any enjoyment from living. That what people need now is pride and self-respect, things that are only won through personal hardship, and not 'increases in GDP' or 'Decreasing the income gap' or whatever. Overall, I think there's a mindset of 'material pros and cons' that is very dangerous and pervasive throughout society, that so long as the math adds up, the future is predetermined by what the factually correct, or atleast statistically likely, good choices are; I feel that that disregards the nonmaterial things that actually make people happy. UBI might cure social ills on paper, but in reality I think it will simply make people even more jaded with life, and distance them from actual happiness & fulfillment even more than they already are.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129244 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:38 pm »

That is extremely pessimistic of you. I'm perfectly fine living my life without the constant fear of death thank you very much and so is everyone else. also reducing wealth inequality and social support are exactly the things we need to increase general wellness of society.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129245 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:37 pm »

Nice new Kurzgesagt video explaining UBI. Comments section: Communism REEEEEEEEE
I like that the ad I got was about aggressive bargaining.

Also WTF, right-clicking the ad didn't give me an option to get a link to it.  I *know* that was a thing, before.  I had to search search, though "Verizon ad pony" got it in one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8FMft5T4Ng

Now to watch the video!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129246 on: December 07, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »

I can't really agree with JoshuaH's argument at all, it comes from a position of privilege. Only someone who has food and housing security would even argue that more adversity is good for you. By that logic, homeless people should be the happiest, and those who inherit great wealth should be miserable. We don't see that however.

You also have to note that UBI generally could replace progressive taxation. The argument against UBI should also be an argument against tax credits for low-wage workers, since they're economically indistinguishable.

e.g. it would be a better system if every adult got a lump-sum and you pay the same income tax (say 30%) on every dollar earned. Then, it replaces:

- welfare system
- progressive taxation
- tax returns
- food stamps

etc etc, while also removing the "penalty" for working part-time where they cut you off welfare. More people will choose to work moderate amounts, because currently, "moderate amounts" of work is artificially penalized because you lose more welfare benefits than you gain in income, so most people are basically forced to work either 40 hours or nothing, and no in-between unless you have some other source of income, such as a full-time employed spouse. UBI will open up part-time work to more people, and with higher numbers of people choosing lower numbers of hours, then that will in effect offset declining employment levels (more people working less hours each).

There's also the fact that if you're getting UBI, you aren't as beholden to your boss, so you can tell them to shove it if they suck, without risking homelessness. That increases the bargaining power for wage workers, meaning bosses will need to treat you better. Plus, since "money" won't be the sole driving factor any more, the bosses will have to shift emphasis to non-monetary rewards ... e.g. making jobs that are pleasant and meaningful.

There's also the fact that if people in general have more leisure time then that's going to be a big boost to the consumption of media, and someone needs to make all that media, which means more jobs in creative fields.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:30:39 pm by Reelya »

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #129247 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:31 pm »

The Death Stranding trailer.

Just... the Death Stranding trailer.

What?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #129248 on: December 07, 2017, 10:31:25 pm »

Nice new creation from a part of the internet. Comments section: Other part of the internet

How, exactly, is this WTF-worthy?

There are plenty of people who only see what they want to see (which probably includes myself to a larger degree than I'm willing to admit).

There are also plenty of people willing to scream in a manner that reminds one of horror game monsters (which generally does not include myself. Generally).

Put them in the same environment as people who do neither (or only one of the two, for that matter) and you get stuff like this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129249 on: December 07, 2017, 10:39:10 pm »

I was emailed a love letter meant for someone else >.<
It was sweet, and chaste.  Very romantic...
I sent an awkward explanation back, explaining how it was very nice and misaddressed.  I hope he resends it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129250 on: December 07, 2017, 10:41:27 pm »

I can't really agree with JoshuaH's argument at all, it comes from a position of privilege.

I'm going to work in five minutes, so I guess I can't hash out a better reply for you, but yes it is from a position of privilege. It's the only position I can argue from, and I'll say that, perhaps, somebody needs to argue on their behalf because the privileged people of the 1st world countries of the world are, in my opinion, slowly painting themselves into an inescapable corner that guarantees their own permanent unhappiness. That social and technological progress duhumanize people, and it's only a matter of time before the so-called 'fortunate' people of the world are totally removed from even the possibility of fulfillment in their own lives.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129251 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:33 pm »

I live in constant fear for my life and that of my wife and now my son. I can tell you is not fucking necessary and definitively not fun, to think otherwise is simply stupid.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129252 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:51 pm »

I can't really agree with JoshuaH's argument at all, it comes from a position of privilege.

I'm going to work in five minutes, so I guess I can't hash out a better reply for you, but yes it is from a position of privilege. It's the only position I can argue from, and I'll say that, perhaps, somebody needs to argue on their behalf because the privileged people of the 1st world countries of the world are, in my opinion, slowly painting themselves into an inescapable corner that guarantees their own permanent unhappiness. That social and technological progress duhumanize people, and it's only a matter of time before the so-called 'fortunate' people of the world are totally removed from even the possibility of fulfillment in their own lives.

The solution to rich people being bored is not to make it easier for poor people to starve.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #129253 on: December 07, 2017, 10:51:22 pm »

The solution to rich people being bored is not to make it easier for poor people to starve.
A core characteristic of any solution would be thoughtfulness, I'm seeing as a similarity. :-\ I don't know why there's a lack of sharing and openness in some cultures but that also contributes to these kinds of focused individualism. I've never understood how social and technological progress removes people from people when there are people all around, and one could just communicate with them. It looks like an unspoken issue. Much like how I've wondered why sometimes, when one is asked 'value', there is material things instead of people, such as friends and otherwise.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129254 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:03 pm »

I was emailed a love letter meant for someone else >.<
It was sweet, and chaste.  Very romantic...
I sent an awkward explanation back, explaining how it was very nice and misaddressed.  I hope he resends it.
Did your reply include the fact that you hope he resends it?~
Pages: 1 ... 8615 8616 [8617] 8618 8619 ... 11037