Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8602 8603 [8604] 8605 8606 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14518403 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129045 on: November 27, 2017, 11:48:10 pm »

That's the one. Most of the recipes with odder ingredients I noticed were just a list of ingredients with no quantities or cooking instructions.

I just assumed the quantities are supposed to be flexible to handle local/seasonal variation in ingredients and the lack of instructions just implies that only one of the options available to Roman cooks made sense. They had boiling for tough things, pans for anything small enough to cook via conduction and an oven for large articles. Anything fancier than that, Apicius tends to lay out explicitly.

And smjjames - laser root is another name for silphium, a now-extinct plant the Romans used with great frequency as a flavorant. It was probably related to fennel, but since we don't know it can be hard to know how to handle the substitutes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #129046 on: November 28, 2017, 11:57:09 am »

Today I've learned that "meme" (plural: memes) in Turkish means "breast(s)".
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129047 on: November 28, 2017, 01:27:57 pm »

This is an actual thing somewhere, in a store.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #129048 on: November 28, 2017, 01:31:42 pm »

At that point, as a staff member, you should unscrew the manikin's head, make a new head out of wadded up bags, and then set the old head on fire and bury the remains in consecrated ground.

I mean, everyone will remember the shopping trip to your store. This is true. Just, you know, not for the best reasons.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129049 on: November 28, 2017, 01:57:57 pm »

Folks over there must be very upset with what we claim to be sharing everywhere in great quantities
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129050 on: November 28, 2017, 02:00:01 pm »

"Doing it for the maymays" takes on a whole new meaning.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129051 on: November 28, 2017, 02:15:14 pm »

Shows that Turkish language isn't that far away from english. Same word root from Latin as for example mammals, or mama, in Latin, 'mamma = breast'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129052 on: November 28, 2017, 02:16:28 pm »

They just don't like'm dank in Turkey, I guess.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129053 on: November 28, 2017, 04:01:41 pm »

What do you get when you mix 1984, The modern surveillance state, the concept of a domestic panopticon, and santa's naughty list?

The Elfie!

What the hell is wrong with people?! Why do they have to make products like this!? (Yes, it's fake but the effect of being watched on psychological development is very real, which ironically, is why this device exists--- and sickeningly, also makes the concept of such surveillance "normal" to developing children.)

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #129054 on: November 28, 2017, 04:17:00 pm »

What do you get when you mix 1984, The modern surveillance state, the concept of a domestic panopticon, and santa's naughty list?

The Elfie!

What the hell is wrong with people?! Why do they have to make products like this!? (Yes, it's fake but the effect of being watched on psychological development is very real, which ironically, is why this device exists--- and sickeningly, also makes the concept of such surveillance "normal" to developing children.)

this is despicable, fuck who ever made this.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129055 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:15 pm »

Ironically, the company name is 'elves behaving badly'.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #129056 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:49 pm »

It has 100% 1-star "what sick asshole would buy this" reviews on Amazon, if that makes you feel better.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #129057 on: November 28, 2017, 04:23:02 pm »

It has 100% 1-star "what sick asshole would buy this" reviews on Amazon, if that makes you feel better.
good.
I just have a problem with needless surveillance.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #129058 on: November 28, 2017, 04:25:00 pm »

Is that the same or something different as that elf-on-a-shelf thing?
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129059 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:27 pm »

Hell, I don't have any kids, but that sure looks like a relatively cheap thing to go with my fake security system sign on the window.  Even a burglar who is pretty confident the sign is fake may think twice if he sees what looks like real security system cameras and motion sensors on the ceiling when scouting the place.

My WTF: Tried to sign up at healthcare.gov again and yet again they didn't think I existed.  This time I did get someone on the phone who was able to force it through for me (not sure if I should consider that a good or bad thing that they can do that over the phone with no physical documentation), but wtf healthcare.gov.  It's not like I'm off the grid.  I have a driver's license, I pay taxes every year, I am a native citizen, I don't move around a lot, I just don't have credit because I don't like owing money.  Yet you can't prove I am a real person?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:53:32 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 8602 8603 [8604] 8605 8606 ... 11037