Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8591 8592 [8593] 8594 8595 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516907 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128880 on: November 20, 2017, 09:44:27 am »

...Although I've no idea what anyone means by referencing 'that guy' anywhere. I've read those phrases a lot and I don't know what it references. (I assumed someone unspeakable but that seemed too extreme for the context everytime)
It's not a particular person, but an archetype, usually "the kind of guy who does something undesirable"; like in this case something along the lines of "the guy who tells you you're the problem and you need to try to appreciate the other person's side more".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128881 on: November 20, 2017, 10:07:13 am »

Tiruin:

The best I can explain the idiom, is that "That guy" is the person who invariably draws attention to things like "the elephant in the room", (eg, draws direct blunt attention to an unspoken, and undesired but obvious truth that everyone wants to ignore, and thus draws social enmity.)  When people are talking about Micheal Jackson, and his art-- he is the guy who brings up the child molestation charges. 

Every social group has a real person who plays the role of "That guy."  (In that respect, he is similar to the village idiot-- every village has one, and everyone in the village knows who that person is-- they are just too polite to discuss the matter.)  In general use, "That guy" as an idiom represents the archetype for this person. That said--

"That Guy" can be a source of much needed balance in an otherwise purposefully blindered conversation, but he is almost universally reviled for breaking down those mental barriers in very uncomfortable ways.

Additionally, "That Guy" (as an archetype) is associated with the guy who has no social IQ at all, and is practically a sociopath.  "That guy" gropes the girls at the nudie bar. "That guy" farts really loud at church, then laughs. 

In this case, "That guy" reminds you that while you are angry, you need to be aware of all sides of an argument to resolve it properly, rather than align themselves in solidarity with you in full agreement with your position. (It is a variant on the "Elephant in the room" use.)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:09:10 am by wierd »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128882 on: November 20, 2017, 10:43:47 am »

"That guy" is also the person who has an ambiguous position or status: trains with the waterpolo team, sometimes goes to matches, but doesn't get put on the teamsheet or asked to the team photo. There are thousands of uses.

It can mean a lot of different things. The common thread is that the person is made or makes themselves an outsider, different in some way, or the centre of attention, along with the implicit recognition that such a person is generally/always/often present in that situation/arrangement/etc. So "that guy" is both atypical and an archetype.
One wheel short of a wagon

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #128883 on: November 20, 2017, 11:47:35 am »

Had a day today.

I scheduled to have my recording session for Graduate studies. I get suited up in fancy attire and show up at the hall to find out that, 'oh hey, this room has been double booked, how bow dah.' Given that it's a campus event, they need the hall, and I've got it booked for two hours, and they only need it for an hour, I'm not particularly worried. I'll just grab my SD card and- Oh fuckshit.

It's gone. The card that I need to record with is gone. Immediately, I start to scour the place looking for the damn thing; in the practice room, the hall, under the chairs, the library where I stopped to do my music. No fucking card. So I run across the street to the grocery store. None on sale. Ok fuck. Run down the road. Oh hey. Larger grocery store discontinued the product. Well shit. I'll just run back home. Literally run, I have to start soon. No fucking luck, the damn SD card vein has been all mined out. I contemplate stealing one from my roommates, but think better of it. Well, the campus bookstore is bound to have one. And hey, they remodeled so certainly- wait fuck really? No damn it. Your SD card is another castle. Sunovabitch.

I end up having to run down the street to yet another store, spend 25$ and run back, suit, tie, and all. By then, my accompanist had arrived, and after one last minor panic about where the hell I put my music for him, we get down to business. Actual recording went ok. Not good. Not great. Ok. I'll worry about that later.

Finally, I find the damn thing. At the library. It had gotten dropped when I was doing my music and the receptionist put it into the lost and found. Hallelujah! Now everything is once more right in birdyspace. For now. ;.;

((Also, hallelujah is a really weird word come to think of it. That's a minor WTF for the day.))
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128884 on: November 20, 2017, 01:29:11 pm »

My home city is run by imbeciles.
They've spent the last 7 months completely rebuilding one of the main streets in our shopping district, rebuilding all tram stops along the road to be more accessible for movement impaired people, which is a laudable thing to do. Now, the problem is that apparently those morons have taken their measurements from the wrong model of tram, one that has already been bordering on ancient when it was decommissioned 25 years ago and of which the city owns exactly two that are only ever moved out of storage for special events.
The other two models of tram my city uses are are vastly longer (about twice as long actually, for the more modern one) and have their doors slightly lower, so whenever you try to exit the tram on one of the new "improved" stops there is a noticeable step upwards.
Even better, the longest model of tram has most of ist wheelcheir slots and seats with extra room (for people who move with a cane for example) in ist backmost third, which it can't align with the raised part of the too short stops because then ist front third would poke out onto the next street crossing.

Frigging. Bureaucrats.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128885 on: November 20, 2017, 02:07:05 pm »

Had a day today.

I scheduled to have my recording session for Graduate studies. I get suited up in fancy attire and show up at the hall to find out that, 'oh hey, this room has been double booked, how bow dah.' Given that it's a campus event, they need the hall, and I've got it booked for two hours, and they only need it for an hour, I'm not particularly worried. I'll just grab my SD card and- Oh fuckshit.

It's gone. The card that I need to record with is gone. Immediately, I start to scour the place looking for the damn thing; in the practice room, the hall, under the chairs, the library where I stopped to do my music. No fucking card. So I run across the street to the grocery store. None on sale. Ok fuck. Run down the road. Oh hey. Larger grocery store discontinued the product. Well shit. I'll just run back home. Literally run, I have to start soon. No fucking luck, the damn SD card vein has been all mined out. I contemplate stealing one from my roommates, but think better of it. Well, the campus bookstore is bound to have one. And hey, they remodeled so certainly- wait fuck really? No damn it. Your SD card is another castle. Sunovabitch.

I end up having to run down the street to yet another store, spend 25$ and run back, suit, tie, and all. By then, my accompanist had arrived, and after one last minor panic about where the hell I put my music for him, we get down to business. Actual recording went ok. Not good. Not great. Ok. I'll worry about that later.

Finally, I find the damn thing. At the library. It had gotten dropped when I was doing my music and the receptionist put it into the lost and found. Hallelujah! Now everything is once more right in birdyspace. For now. ;.;

((Also, hallelujah is a really weird word come to think of it. That's a minor WTF for the day.))
I went to a school with a film program and I can assure you: this is a universal experience.  Video, still images, audio, doesn't matter.  Everyone forgets or runs out of memory.  That and batteries.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #128886 on: November 20, 2017, 05:56:51 pm »

That which sleeps posted a video showcasing some mechanics and shit.

I'd completely forgotten I was subbed to the channel until this popped up on my feed, completely out of nowhere, especially considering the last video was posted two years ago :o
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128887 on: November 20, 2017, 05:59:02 pm »

Ninjaed by Jopax
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128888 on: November 20, 2017, 06:02:44 pm »

My home city is run by imbeciles.
They've spent the last 7 months completely rebuilding one of the main streets in our shopping district, rebuilding all tram stops along the road to be more accessible for movement impaired people, which is a laudable thing to do. Now, the problem is that apparently those morons have taken their measurements from the wrong model of tram, one that has already been bordering on ancient when it was decommissioned 25 years ago and of which the city owns exactly two that are only ever moved out of storage for special events.
The other two models of tram my city uses are are vastly longer (about twice as long actually, for the more modern one) and have their doors slightly lower, so whenever you try to exit the tram on one of the new "improved" stops there is a noticeable step upwards.
Even better, the longest model of tram has most of ist wheelcheir slots and seats with extra room (for people who move with a cane for example) in ist backmost third, which it can't align with the raised part of the too short stops because then ist front third would poke out onto the next street crossing.

Frigging. Bureaucrats.

How even does that happen? Now they're gonna have to start all over again, let the wasted money be a lesion to them.

Brings to mind the old adage of "measure twice, cut once".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128889 on: November 20, 2017, 06:05:57 pm »

I remember back in NJ they spent a more than a year adding a built in concrete divider into a large highway. After which they stopped and just added one of those movable concrete barriers and called it done.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128890 on: November 20, 2017, 06:08:43 pm »

Presumably it happens the same way my local council thought the best place for a new school was along road with no footpath on top of an old gasometer site.

Though that got nipped in the bud before they actual tried to build it, wish the same could be said about the "Shared Spaces" redesign near the city centre which is a thoroughfare for about 12 bus routes, they started work on that long after evidence (and fatalities) had emerged from other cities of why it was a really bad idea.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128891 on: November 20, 2017, 07:09:13 pm »

Crickets are rather bland.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #128892 on: November 20, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »

Personally, I think that depends on whoever's bowling.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128893 on: November 20, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #128894 on: November 20, 2017, 07:35:35 pm »

Personally, I think that depends on whoever's bowling.

You’re Norn Irish, aincha? You’re not allowed to like cricket. /something probably racist and about stereotypes or whatever I’m too tired and headaches to decide which
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 8591 8592 [8593] 8594 8595 ... 11037