Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8580 8581 [8582] 8583 8584 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14518944 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128715 on: November 14, 2017, 09:40:56 am »

And yet the incredible hulk could be argued to be a loosely based sequel to the Ang Lee Hulk movie.
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #128716 on: November 14, 2017, 10:03:12 am »

Iron Man was first tho, and the first with a post credits teaser for the Cap movie, which makes it the first in the MCU.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128717 on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:37 am »

I had a WTF today, after realizing that hobbyists have created enough kit to make tiny internet radio dongles/receivers for home stereo equipment-- and wondering why such devices do not exist on the open market as finished products.

As far as I can see, such things could exist in the 50$ pricepoint, and basically be just COTS assembled kit in fancy injection molded shells, without ANY software development. Just plug it into the USB port on the back of the home theater head unit, and put a stereo patch cable on. Done.

There must be some reason the dont exist already.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128718 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:05 pm »

Maybe nobody's realized there's a market for that stuff. Or maybe there's no market.

Y'know, you could just make a kickstarter (or produce a couple yourself) and see how they sell.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128719 on: November 14, 2017, 12:41:37 pm »

I'm easily overwhelmed by anything AV related, to the point that things like Chromecast deeply confused me (I just watch things on my computer...) but I'm trying to understand.

What's the benefit of this device over an outdated phone with a SIM card, a Raspberry Pi, or even I guess a Chromecast or similar?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128720 on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:20 pm »

Ok.  You know sites like https://www.iheart.com/ ?

Those are internet radio sites.  They work by encoding a DRM free mpeg audio stream, and letting any device that understands that stream, play it back.  In the case of iheart, there are several simultaneously sent stream formats that you could use, the most useful being a shoutcast stream. You can add those stream locations as if they were files to be played by mpd, and it will happily connect to the internet and play them for you. EG-- you dont need their app on your phone, dont need a computer to play it in the browser-- Just pick it from the menu, turn off the phone, and enjoy. You could have hundreds of these added to your media library in the web portal, and just pick whatever you wanted to listen to. Access to hundreds of radio stations all over the place, FOR FREE.

OR,

Say you are in your living room. You have a fancy home theater system, and you would like to listen to some internet radio, or you would like to play an MP3 collection, or something similar, but you dont want to have to dig to get out media, or anything like that.  You would like to just plop on your couch/recliner, and pick the station/playlist of your choosing, and just rock that shit.  Alternatively, you are hosting a party, and want to have the theater system play a very, very, very extended mix-- Or even shake it up, and you let your party goers decide what to play juke-box style.

Well, a device like this comes to the rescue in all of those cases.

You whip out your cellphone, connect to the web portal, and make your selection. Magically, the song/stream plays through your home theater setup.

In the case of the party, you either set up the mix playlist in advance, and just tell it to play--- OR, you give your guests access to the portal, and let them go to town as they rock out at your party.

This is functionality that is similar to that found in home assistants, but without all the creepy as fuck tracking, without all the scary as hell EULAs, and with the capacity to use local centralized file stores. (Even a local NAS if you have one, since this thing could easily just mount a network file system, and play from there.)

There is definitely a market for it-- I frequently see posts to geek websites asking how to make things like this. The most recent was from slashdot.

https://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/17/11/12/0439225/ask-slashdot-can-you-convert-old-ipods-into-a-home-music-streaming-solution

He specifically wanted something he could use to stream to his whole house, with a web interface. (Gee..... That's exactly what this is!)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:51:09 pm by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128721 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:53 pm »

Gotcha. My dad (an AV buff) does most of that with a fairly robust android device (which replaced a chromecast). But I don't think he's rooted it like his phones, and the price point is slightly higher IIRC.

He has an original Xbox with xbmc too, but he hasn't used it in a while heh.

Thanks for the explanation! I try to understand this media stuff but it just doesn't interest me as much as it does certain friends and family. I usually watch shows on my phone, while doing other stuff. I wish Netflix would let me close the screen and save bandwidth!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #128722 on: November 14, 2017, 03:42:43 pm »

$50? I bet you could get dedicated devices made for less than half that.

Maybe nobody's realized there's a market for that stuff. Or maybe there's no market.

Y'know, you could just make a kickstarter (or produce a couple yourself) and see how they sell.

^^^ Good idea, I would back it. Well, I would back it if I had internet besides mobile data.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128723 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »

Isn't that basically just streaming with an extra step though? Most laptops can plug into TVs or external speakers after all. I don't know how many people would be willing to pay for the ability to use their phones to control a setup that's already probably wireless and never leaving the room it's set up in let alone their house anyway.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #128724 on: November 14, 2017, 04:21:13 pm »

A Fire TV stick or Roku device does this just fine already, other than being controlled by a dedicated remote instead of your phone.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #128725 on: November 14, 2017, 05:23:34 pm »

Firefox what have you done.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128726 on: November 14, 2017, 05:25:54 pm »

Firefox what have you done.

What did they do?

Also, minor wtf, autocorrect kept trying to change do into don't three times before giving up.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #128727 on: November 14, 2017, 05:28:01 pm »

Firefox Quantum just released and it even broke Classic Theme Restorer. It broke ton of add-ons I used. Nobody is like I had it set.

I can't even change tabs to not-on-top anymore.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #128728 on: November 14, 2017, 05:38:57 pm »

Firefox Quantum just released and it even broke Classic Theme Restorer. It broke ton of add-ons I used. Nobody is like I had it set.

I can't even change tabs to not-on-top anymore.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Because you should use chrome.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #128729 on: November 14, 2017, 05:39:53 pm »

Because you should use chrome.

I've been a Firefox loyalist since it had number 2 next to it, and I won't change :P

EDIT: I managed to fix most of thingies back to as they should be, tabs remain on top but I will deal with this heresy tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:42:01 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 8580 8581 [8582] 8583 8584 ... 11037