Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8576 8577 [8578] 8579 8580 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519367 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128655 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:44 am »

I would suggest Rolan7 gets a qualified non-cowboy electrician to check that wiring is safe but random and not going to randomly start electrical fires. Okay it'll cost a few bob but its better than a few grand+ and/or serious permanent injury.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128656 on: November 13, 2017, 06:06:17 am »

Inuyashiki - new anime about an old man who gets superpowers - was expecting an endearing comedy here. Got the exact opposite, basically. Pretty hard-hitting show, doesn't pull any punches and has a lot of feels.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #128657 on: November 13, 2017, 06:49:01 am »

A friend I used to hang out with in highschool (half a decade ago jesus it's been long) offered me a job, in germany, sounds like mostly janitorial duties in some hotel and the pay would be higher than what an engineering degree would get me here. We'd start in a month or so, doesn't sound like a temp gig either.

So many things are making me go wtf in this that I'm kinda stumped for words or reactions.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128658 on: November 13, 2017, 07:22:13 am »

Sounds dubious.

Let me tell you something: noone gives out dimes for nine cents. If you go to do a menial job elsewhere, you will more likely than not get menial wages.

IMO too many people move abroad (often without qualifications or even without speaking the language!) hoping to make a killing. Things... are more complex than that, I feel. Speaking as someone who made the jump mostly successfully(whether its fully successful will be determined by whether I can make it stick) and who has seen many people who haven't.

I wouldnt recommend moving abroad for a lower position than your current one, no matter how they bait the hook
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:25:21 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #128659 on: November 13, 2017, 09:07:45 am »

Thing is, my current position is that I'm unemployed after almost a year of looking for work, both in my proffession and outside of it. So anything is a step up. And the thing with wage difference is that menial jobs in germany are better paying and more secure than what we have here now, I understand that it comes with higher living costs and the like but at the end of the day, you're still left with more than if you stayed here.

Aditionally the dude says he's getting the work based on a reccomendation from a friend, so I think he has someone there already who's done the work and knows the situation, in any case I'll be meeting him later today to gleam as much info from him as possible.

Language might be an issue but I'd have atleast a month to get some basics down, either way, even if it's temporary and doesn't end up earning me much it's still a chance to get away from home and get some new expiriences.
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128660 on: November 13, 2017, 09:42:21 am »

I've heard too many stories of "bait and switch" contracts. I'd hesitate if I were you.

I assume Germany is overseas for you?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #128661 on: November 13, 2017, 09:52:37 am »

Jopax is Croatian, as far as I know.

It certainly can't do any harm to find out more, but I would be quite cautious about biting until you're very sure what you're signing up for.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #128662 on: November 13, 2017, 09:56:54 am »

If you hear the word putzfrau, and someone hands you a maid outfit, run.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128663 on: November 13, 2017, 10:03:18 am »

Inuyashiki - new anime about an old man who gets superpowers - was expecting an endearing comedy here. Got the exact opposite, basically. Pretty hard-hitting show, doesn't pull any punches and has a lot of feels.

I want to reassure you Reelya, it is 100% comedy. The evilness is so outrageous and played so straight as to be laughable.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128664 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:41 am »

Just sat down to do some exercise before dinner and bed, then got distracted with daydreaming and promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours or so.
Great job, self.

At least I'd already done some exercise for the day, but still. That's annoying. I'd had plenty of time to do some more but I procrastinated a ridiculous amount.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #128665 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:09 am »

It's couple of days by bus and not extremely expensive so I'm not putting myself into extreme debt by taking the chance. And if it turns out to be a shit deal then I'll just up and leave (I doubt they offer long term contracts with these things, especially out of the gate). Even if it turns out good I doubt I'd be working for longer than 6 months, get some money saved up and look into other options.
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128666 on: November 13, 2017, 12:00:26 pm »

I guess we don't need any more context than that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128667 on: November 13, 2017, 12:48:08 pm »

Heh, I remember boycotting Hardees for the Paris Hilton Washing A Car commercials.
I was a confused and edgy teen and, as I later realized, I just didn't like the food either :P  Also the commercials were pretty gross.

I'm much more serious about boycotting Chik-Fil-A, heh, and I actually really liked their food /:  I heard the secret ingredient is lime juice, which is a flavor I love.  But noooo, they just have to be evil.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #128668 on: November 13, 2017, 01:29:42 pm »

I heard the secret ingredient is lime juice, which is a flavor I love.  But noooo, they just have to be evil.

Wait, what? What has Chick-Fil-A done now?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128669 on: November 13, 2017, 01:42:45 pm »

Nothin' illegal, they just donated a lot of money to fighting same-sex marriage (through their charitable foundation, so I bet they got tax write-offs for it, but that's another issue).

Basically the company's president is outspoken on the issue, and used his company to support his position.  Hey, that's capitalism, I just can't support said company in good conscience.  It makes me happy when other people boycott it too, but a lot of people also went to Chik-Fil-A specifically to support said agenda so meh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 8576 8577 [8578] 8579 8580 ... 11037