Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8572 8573 [8574] 8575 8576 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520253 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128595 on: November 10, 2017, 09:57:56 pm »

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain has an achievement that is an Undertale meme. Why.

My WTF is that those old CYOA books made it onto Steam in the first place.

Why would you be? FF books had great stories, very D&D stuff going on with a simplified combat system, and you had full-page character sheet, inventory, stats, the whole deal. They're pretty much the perfect thing to adapt. I'd recommend checking the old books out if you have a chance and like fantasy RPG games. They were the best solo RPG books ever made, I'm comfortable to make that claim. The writing was in fact top-notch: many of TSR's actual dungeon's and dragons novels were more poorly-written that the fighting fantasy "game books".

Notice however, that nobody seems to be adapting the actual CYOA book series to modern systems. That's because Fighting Fantasy had a lot of game-play mechanics that set it apart.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:08:23 pm by Reelya »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128596 on: November 10, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain has an achievement that is an Undertale meme. Why.

My WTF is that those old CYOA books made it onto Steam in the first place.

Why would you be? FF books had great stories, very D&D stuff going on with a simplified combat system, and you had full-page character sheet, inventory, stats, the whole deal. They're pretty much the perfect thing to adapt. I'd recommend checking the old books out if you have a chance and like fantasy RPG games. They were the best solo RPG books ever made, I'm comfortable to make that claim. The writing was in fact top-notch: many of TSR's actual dungeon's and dragons novels were more poorly-written that the fighting fantasy "game books".

Notice however, that nobody seems to be adapting the actual CYOA book series to modern systems. That's because Fighting Fantasy had a lot of game-play mechanics that set it apart.

Eh, I don't think they were THAT great. I remember in one of them, you're supposed to be collecting various gems to unlock a special door in the middle of a trapped filled dungeon. So there's this big idol with emerald eyes and you know that you have to pry one of them out to win. If you pry out the right eye, then you're that much closer to winning. But if you pry out the left eye, it turns out to be a crystal filled with poison gas and you die. No health loss, just instant death, start over from page one. And I wish I could say that was unusual.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128597 on: November 11, 2017, 05:12:41 am »

The universe is mindfucking me.
This is the third year in a row that I look at my clock (which I tend to do rather infrequently, I'm not much concerned usually by what time it is exactly).

Third year in a row, I randomly look at the clock at exactly 11:11am on 11-11
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128598 on: November 11, 2017, 05:39:43 am »

Almost got crushed by a forklift yesterday. The guy pushing it didn't check to see if he had room to push it(it's a hand-operated forklift) down the aisle, and as a result he smacks into several racks of clothing waiting to be sorted(my job), while I'm wedged in there pretty tightly so I had no way of jumping out of the way.

The universe is mindfucking me.
This is the third year in a row that I look at my clock (which I tend to do rather infrequently, I'm not much concerned usually by what time it is exactly).

Third year in a row, I randomly look at the clock at exactly 11:11am on 11-11

That happens a lot around here. My parents have a habit of calling out times like 4:44 and such. Possibly due to several family members dying at those exact times.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128599 on: November 11, 2017, 12:01:29 pm »

what do you guys do when you feel meh and like staying inside and not moving and all that jazz?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128600 on: November 11, 2017, 12:09:34 pm »

Read, do computer stuff, sleep. Marginally engaging stuff to pass the time until your go trickles back in or being passed out so the time passes without having to deal much with it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128601 on: November 11, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »

Something easy and constructive to some extent, if you've got anything like that.
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #128602 on: November 11, 2017, 01:29:18 pm »

Mope around engaging in self-destructive behaviour and procrastinating from the things I rally should be doing
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128603 on: November 11, 2017, 02:53:44 pm »

lol well I feel like apathy is today's watchword.

I forced myself to the gym just now, and compromised on a half measure workout.

work tonight, off tomorrow, quitting my second job tomorrow too I think.  well, giving 2weeks at least.

i have 4 interviews lined up, so no lose there
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #128604 on: November 11, 2017, 04:46:42 pm »

You lose the opportunity to try to survive with three jobs, man.

I mean, 8 hours each, 24 hours in a day. It fits!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128605 on: November 11, 2017, 05:03:00 pm »

... damn it, game. Your drama loses most of its bite when the great unknown power your initial evil dude is ranting about after protag shitkicks him is blatantly sweet bean confectionary. Idiot blue man what killed you was basically donuts. It happened in front of your face with dramatic pointing towards the sky and bright green sparkles and everything. Nothing mysterious happened except the leader of hell's first military squadron not being able to out damage the snack food two-tone beat out of ambulatory training dummies.

Game's far east of eden zero, don't be a jerk, etc., etc.

Though the vague absurdity of those manju just struck me. Common to many games with food based healing, in retrospect. Those things have been presumably sitting inside a shoddily constructed wooden robot for... how long? Days, months? The real magic is apparently these places preservation techniques.

Also I now totally want to see a game with that -- food items being a drop from enemies, particularly early game ones -- that plays it straight and actually makes you sick instead of restoring HP or whatever. You eat stuff that falls out of shambling undead in a centuries old crypt and you get what you deserve.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128606 on: November 11, 2017, 05:26:48 pm »

what in the living hell the second town in this game has a straight up whorehouse

i repeat the first non-starting town in this 90s era JRPG has a freaking brothel

what

Also yes death by donut would be okay.

E: whore update, one will apparently move in with you if you buy a house in town

this is a game before or far after its time
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:30:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128607 on: November 11, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »

Given that it's a JRPG, not surprised.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128608 on: November 11, 2017, 05:32:28 pm »

90s era JRPG smj. Literally no officially localized SNES ones had this, at the absolute least this early and this blatant. As far as I can recall no unofficially localized ones have, either. As someone that has actually put at least a few hours into just about actually goddamn every SNES RPG, j or otherwise, that exists in english (and more besides, for that matter) this is in fact pretty surprising.

E: 3k for the local house. Be a bit, but that's not that far out. This plot train is going to be rode like the primary non-protag character in it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:38:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128609 on: November 11, 2017, 05:46:26 pm »

I'm sorry, what's an smj?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8572 8573 [8574] 8575 8576 ... 11037