Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8562 8563 [8564] 8565 8566 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524241 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128445 on: November 06, 2017, 11:34:09 am »

Life as we know it wouldn’t happen without Satan though.
If you are referring to the biblical genesis, the serpent is never linked to Satan in the book. Serpent = Satan is a later thing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #128446 on: November 06, 2017, 11:35:53 am »

Sure it would. Satan is a mythological creature, ergo it already does. Even if one is Christian, Satan's existence is somewhat shaky. Not to mention theologically problematic.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #128447 on: November 06, 2017, 11:36:56 am »

If you are referring to the biblical genesis, the serpent is never linked to Satan in the book. Serpent = Satan is a later thing.
Well... everything in the bible is a later thing to be perfectly honest. Written by folks after the fact, and then interpreted from Latin upwards of a thousand years later.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #128448 on: November 06, 2017, 11:39:03 am »

Well... everything in the bible is a later thing to be perfectly honest. Written by folks after the fact, and then interpreted from Latin upwards of a thousand years later.
What I meant was that the Serpent is never linked to Satan in the Bible itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #128449 on: November 06, 2017, 11:48:24 am »

I believe we should stop hectoring the poor fella :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #128450 on: November 06, 2017, 11:56:04 am »

That trump is still considered a good president by a fair portion of american population.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128451 on: November 06, 2017, 11:58:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128452 on: November 06, 2017, 12:13:28 pm »

Note to others: When fog has reduced visibility on the road to a distance shorter than that between two telephone poles, turn on your lights. Why do you not turn on your lights, people on the road where fog is heavy enough you can't see two car lengths ahead of you.

... it's been a while since I've drove in those conditions. I think I had forgotten this was a thing. Would have been nice to not have been reminded.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #128453 on: November 06, 2017, 12:19:59 pm »

I feel like Satan = Tempter is the bigger correlation at play here.
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128454 on: November 06, 2017, 01:17:37 pm »

Umm... you can argue about how literal, figurative, or allegorical the Bible is, but basically nobody today uses a translation of the Bible reinterpreted from the Latin.  Everything is translated directly from the early Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic manuscripts.

Heck, it's 2017 and we just had the 500th anniversary of the Reformation - a fair part of which was reforming the translation of the Bible.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128455 on: November 06, 2017, 01:20:17 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128456 on: November 06, 2017, 02:55:45 pm »

Umm... you can argue about how literal, figurative, or allegorical the Bible is, but basically nobody today uses a translation of the Bible reinterpreted from the Latin.  Everything is translated directly from the early Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic manuscripts.

Heck, it's 2017 and we just had the 500th anniversary of the Reformation - a fair part of which was reforming the translation of the Bible.
Although it could be argued that the folk/low-level bishop understanding of Christianity was defined at by the latin bible prior to the birth of Protestantism.  In the same way that the American on the street forms religious arguments around specific passages of the English bible despite that bible being translated to preserve meaning from latin, by translators who weren't necessarily aware which meanings would be considered relevant all these years later.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128457 on: November 06, 2017, 03:05:02 pm »

So here's a stupid question only partially related to the current conversation from someone who does not remember any of their preschool bible lessons.  In a lot of art like that I see satan with a crown but I never see it ON his head, it's always hovering above his head, or on his horns instead.  Is there some significance to that?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #128458 on: November 06, 2017, 03:14:15 pm »

So here's a stupid question only partially related to the current conversation from someone who does not remember any of their preschool bible lessons.  In a lot of art like that I see satan with a crown but I never see it ON his head, it's always hovering above his head, or on his horns instead.  Is there some significance to that?
Maybe it's like a halo?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128459 on: November 06, 2017, 03:23:32 pm »

BIG POST TIME - For my on-topic WTF, some guy called my call center and screamed to the point where he was disconnected from multiple people for the offensive things he said. I don't mean to be snide or judgy but I have a hard time empathizing with people who just lose control emotionally like that. Like I can get really upset too, but I don't try to hurt people.

Although it could be argued that the folk/low-level bishop understanding of Christianity was defined at by the latin bible prior to the birth of Protestantism.  In the same way that the American on the street forms religious arguments around specific passages of the English bible despite that bible being translated to preserve meaning from latin, by translators who weren't necessarily aware which meanings would be considered relevant all these years later.

Ah, but no indeed that is not the sole source. It can be cross-referenced with translations that were made directly from Hebrew translations into Greek. This bypasses the problems with direct translation from a dead language, and provides a way to detect and properly translate (or at least explain) things like cultural idioms. This also neatly bypasses the incredibly corrupt (at the time) Catholic church as the sole source of translation/interpretation, since they did not make these translations.

Current accepted translations of the Christian Bible are the result of this process. Others have absolutely tried to retranslate/reinterpret the Bible outside of these methods and resources but are generally soundly panned (The "New Age" translation comes to mind).

Maybe it's like a halo?

No idea, actually :>.

I expect that if it is a symbolic thing then it came from the old Catholic depictions of everything, since they took liberal "artistic interpretation" of everything from angels to Satan. Bible never says he's a red guy with hooves, or state that angels are remotely human in appearance (it routinely shows them to be outright terrifying). In fact I recall that the Bible says that Satan retains his angelic appearance.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:26:15 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 8562 8563 [8564] 8565 8566 ... 11037