Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8541 8542 [8543] 8544 8545 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528388 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128130 on: October 29, 2017, 10:37:43 am »

This is one of those things you can gloss over but when the backstory starts to get filled in then it all comes apart.

e.g. I don't believe the name "Anakin Skywalker" is ever uttered in the original trilogy, and his uncle and aunt are always referred to as just "Uncle Owen and "Aunt Beru". So they could have been the Skywalker family, and his father could have had a different name altogether. So in the original trilogy this naming problem didn't exist.

But you know the one thing I always thought was odd was that Darth didn't know about Owen and Beru, considering the way they talked in the first movie make it clear they certainly knew who he was. Perhaps originally his uncle was meant to be his real uncle, but Lucas retconned that. It just doesn't feel right, the "Lars" talk like they knew Vader before and after the "change" in the first movie, but with the way the prequels went, that would be impossible.

This is why noodle incidents should stay noodle incidents.
Actually, I think Anakin's name was mentioned in Ep VI, when Luke is first brought before Vader after surrendering on Endor. That might have been a Special Edition scene, it's been so very many years since I saw the OG trilogy.

Owen and Beru were the Lars, and introduced as such in Ep II. They really were Luke's family by way of marriage, since Anakin's mother married Owen's brother (the dude in the hoverchair), making them sort of step-relatives.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128131 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:25 am »

How commonly known is it that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker (before Luke and Leia learned of it)? Sure, some might have remembered an Anakin Skywalker from his youth, but the great majority would only know Darth Vader as Darth Vader.

AFAIK, canonically, the only ones who knew the connection are Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Palpatine. Also possibly Organa and Owen and Beru.

1 more: Darth Vader

The whole point of hiding Luke and Leia was to hide them from Darth Vader. Leia was hidden pretty well. Luke was with his uncle and his name was Skywalker. On Vader's home planet no less.

This is one of those things you can gloss over but when the backstory starts to get filled in then it all comes apart.

e.g. I don't believe the name "Anakin Skywalker" is ever uttered in the original trilogy, and his uncle and aunt are always referred to as just "Uncle Owen and "Aunt Beru". So they could have been the Skywalker family, and his father could have had a different name altogether. So in the original trilogy this naming problem didn't exist.

But you know the one thing I always thought was odd was that Darth didn't know about Owen and Beru, considering the way they talked in the first movie make it clear they certainly knew who he was. Perhaps originally his uncle was meant to be his real uncle, but Lucas retconned that.

Vader knew about Owen's father Cliegg Lars.
They met in Attack of the Clones, when Anakin was rescuing Shmi. And seeing how Shmi died that day, Owen must have been already born.

Edit: Owen was actually the the son of a different woman.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:41:45 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128132 on: October 29, 2017, 10:41:35 am »

Owen was indeed born, seeing as how he was the one who friggin greeted Anakin.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #128133 on: October 29, 2017, 11:24:58 am »

But you know the one thing I always thought was odd was that Darth didn't know about Owen and Beru, considering the way they talked in the first movie make it clear they certainly knew who he was. Perhaps originally his uncle was meant to be his real uncle, but Lucas retconned that. It just doesn't feel right, the "Lars" talk like they knew Vader before and after the "change" in the first movie, but with the way the prequels went, that would be impossible.

This is why noodle incidents should stay noodle incidents.
Actually, I think Anakin's name was mentioned in Ep VI, when Luke is first brought before Vader after surrendering on Endor. That might have been a Special Edition scene, it's been so very many years since I saw the OG trilogy.

Owen and Beru were the Lars, and introduced as such in Ep II. They really were Luke's family by way of marriage, since Anakin's mother married Owen's brother (the dude in the hoverchair), making them sort of step-relatives.

The name was mentioned in the novelization of IV, and quite possibly in earlier revisions of the script.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #128134 on: October 29, 2017, 11:48:49 am »

The evils of society might only granted necessity on the level of society as a whole. But for one alone they are the chafing limitations of an unjust world. Are you to concern yourself with the whims of your masters and be bound in perpetuity?

What will it be, you aspirant of acceptability? Are you a smiling slave of God!? Burn in the fire of your ambition! Live and die screaming!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128135 on: October 29, 2017, 11:49:17 am »

Pretty sure Tatooine was a good place to hide Luke. For starters, Anakin hated his homeworld. His mother's death was, in his mind, his greatest failure. his greatest moment of weakness. That was the part of him he never wanted to be reminded of. When he tracked the Death Star plans to the droids dropped onto Tatooine, he probably wasn't too happy about going back there, less so when his stepbrother's name came up during the investigation, so he ordered his Stormtroopers to just burn the place. During Leia's rescue from the Death Star, Vader was too preoccupied with Obi-Wan that he didn't notice Luke, only recognizing him as merely Force Sensitive during the trench run. It wasn't until Luke became a big hero of the Rebellion that the Empire learned his name and the Emperor made the connection. Also, Anakin's name is dropped during Ep.V when the Emperor mentions to Vader that Luke is Anakin's son and orders him to capture Luke alive. (Again, that might be the Special Edition, not the original)

He also might not have realized that his children survived their mother's death, so he wouldn't have thought to search for them or sense them through the Force. Hence why he didn't recognize Leia's Force presence when he was interrogating her.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128136 on: October 29, 2017, 11:52:10 am »

If I remember correctly, in that Ep V scene you mentioned the Emperor only says "the son of Skywalker". No mention of Anakin.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128137 on: October 29, 2017, 11:58:03 am »

Just looked at both the original and HD remaster. Original is "son of Skywalker", remaster is "offspring of Anakin Skywalker".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128138 on: October 29, 2017, 12:02:58 pm »

WTF thread is now the star wars thread apparently.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128139 on: October 29, 2017, 12:05:32 pm »

Just looked at both the original and HD remaster. Original is "son of Skywalker", remaster is "offspring of Anakin Skywalker".
Aaagh. Frigging remasters, muddling things :P

There's my WTF for the day. All the different releases of Star Wars, each melding together until even fans of the series can have a hard time agreeing on things. Most of my knowledge comes from the (first?) Special Editions because the only time I saw the actual original releases was when I was five or so.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #128140 on: October 29, 2017, 12:25:19 pm »

han shot first
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128141 on: October 29, 2017, 12:53:19 pm »

What The Force thread
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #128142 on: October 29, 2017, 01:08:25 pm »

han shot

FTFY

Greedo didn’t shoot at all.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #128143 on: October 29, 2017, 02:00:42 pm »

Time for another post in the "would have gone in the rage thread if it still existed series".

So, Hollow Knight. It's a great game. The greatest I've played in a couple years, in fact. But Team Cherry absolutely shit the bed with their Halloween update just now. See, you know how Dark Souls and games following in the wake of its storytelling tend to have a decision along the lines of "Obey the cycle of ages or crush it underneath your heel"?

Well, the Grimm Troupe quest has a moment like that, right before the end. Except if you pick the latter option, it just ends the quest locking you out of a merchant and a boss fight. And immediately saves you into the decision. What the ever loving fuck, man? Why would I want do do that? It doesn't even make a lot of sense within the story it tells, because it could just let you finish it normally once and then be like "hey, this recurring hell sure is terrible, what if we brought it to an IRREVERSIBLE end now that you're done with it. You know, of the NO TAKEBACKSIES type?" This was a forty hour completionist save I'm on!

Fucking hell, man. A drop of sewage in otherwise fine gaming caviar. There's some other bonus level I can still reach apparently but I can't even stomach continuing this shit now. I think I'm done unless they add in a patch to unbanish the goddamn DLC. It was free, yeah, but this is like giving a dog a treat and then stealing it before they can bite down.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128144 on: October 29, 2017, 02:07:30 pm »

So you're mad that the choice you made was the choice you made, rather than the other choice in disguise?
Pages: 1 ... 8541 8542 [8543] 8544 8545 ... 11037