Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8539 8540 [8541] 8542 8543 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528985 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128100 on: October 28, 2017, 10:31:31 pm »

but since you will never have enuff dakka, it is sadly impossible.

False, on both counts! Never is a long time, thus possible, if improbable.
See, you're talking about having enuff dakka for a single task, which is theoretically possible. Moonie there, on the other hand, was talking about the very ideal of having "enuff dakka", which is completely impossible. One can always use more dakka.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128101 on: October 28, 2017, 10:52:47 pm »

What if you put a big enough bomb inside the planet? If you were to do something like that to Earth, wouldn't it crack like an egg?

I'm starting to think that "For Science" is a perfectly valid reason for destroying the Earth.

Well if you want to utterly destroy the Earth, here's the Wikipedia page with info on the required energy to send every particle of the planet to escape velocity relative (i.e. vaporize the planet). The value it gives for the earth is 2.24 x 1032 joules, or the Sun's entire energy output for a week or two.

If you just want to crack the earth, that's still a major undertaking since much of the interior is liquid or malleable and pressurized and it would likely cave in again afterwards. Exploding the Earth might be more doable. If you just want to split it in two and move the halves at some reasonable speed away from each other (like, say, 5000 m/s?) I get a required energy of 3.73x1031 joules (according to this table, enough to turn the Earth into an asteroid belt with energy left over). Even for a slow speed like 100 m/s (which should cause the pieces to collide again after about 20 seconds) it would take 1.49x1028 joules (calculated from (1/2)mv2), which is (according to the same site) about half the energy needed to melt the entire surface. This is about 100 seconds of the Sun's entire energy output.

Could you break the Earth in half? Theoretically yes. In practice you need a LOT of dakka.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128102 on: October 29, 2017, 01:36:55 am »

Sadly, as in-depth as Aurora is I don't believe it's that in-depth. The best you can really do is so badly irradiate and pollute a planet that it's virtually uninhabitable.
Didn't recall it being that in depth, heh. I'm just saying, if you really want to be sure, using fragments of their planet as the opening volley of a KKV bombardment on some other entity that's annoyed you is the way to go. Nothing says surety like the space frozen ashen wastes of their civilization turning to slag as it burns through another planet's atmosphere and crushes their habitable environments to ruin.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #128103 on: October 29, 2017, 02:49:30 am »

So you... want to send your alien foe a bombardment of the remains of their former planets that you destroyed?

That's a new level of harsh- to put that in perspective, that'd be like bombarding the Rebel Base on Hoth (Echo Base) with bits of Alderaan.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128104 on: October 29, 2017, 02:56:37 am »

Tarkin did nothing wrong
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #128105 on: October 29, 2017, 03:03:56 am »

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Empire as a villainous entity, but you can't claim the guy who ordered the destruction of a populated planet to send a message to dissenters 'did nothing wrong'.

If he really needed to display the power of the Death Star, there are plenty of unpopulated planets that'd do the job just fine without turning an Entire Civilization into a Intergalactic Matyr.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128106 on: October 29, 2017, 03:33:30 am »

I really liked the bit in Rogue One where the rebels

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It made me wonder why we never got a moment like that in the original trilogy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128107 on: October 29, 2017, 03:33:45 am »

But you're taking rebel propaganda at face value!  If they told you those weren't the droids you were looking for, would you believe it? Wake up sheeple!

:-P
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128108 on: October 29, 2017, 03:48:55 am »

At least no Earth nation would ever completely annihilate some civilian population centers as superweapon tests, mainly to send a message to their rival superpower*

*Oh wait, USA did that.

According to an account by Walter Brown, assistant to then-US secretary of state James Byrnes, Truman agreed at a meeting three days before the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima that Japan was “looking for peace”. Truman was told by his army generals, Douglas Macarthur and Dwight Eisenhower, and his naval chief of staff, William Leahy, that there was no military need to use the bomb.

“Impressing Russia was more important than ending the war in Japan,” says Selden. Truman was also worried that he would be accused of wasting money on the Manhattan Project to build the first nuclear bombs, if the bomb was not used, he adds.

Basically there's a strong argument that they dropped two bombs because they'd spent the budget developing two types of bombs and they thought they couldn't justify the expense to the taxpayers otherwise. Hiroshima was dubious, Nagasaki was just criminally unnecessary. They only had to tell the Japanese that they had more of those bombs and give them a few days to make a formal surrender.

In fact, this is the reason that Alderan was blown up by Vader, it had been budgeted in by the Galactic Senate before it was dissolved, so if they cancelled "blowing up a planet" then the paperwork would have been never-ending.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:58:50 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #128109 on: October 29, 2017, 03:57:49 am »

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Empire as a villainous entity, but you can't claim the guy who ordered the destruction of a populated planet to send a message to dissenters 'did nothing wrong'.

If he really needed to display the power of the Death Star, there are plenty of unpopulated planets that'd do the job just fine without turning an Entire Civilization into a Intergalactic Matyr.

He's doing you a Hitler meme bamboozle
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128110 on: October 29, 2017, 05:55:14 am »

I agree. Tatooine would have been a better target. Take out the hub of a major intergalactic criminal organization(the Hutts, possibly more), not to mention it's somehow the homeworld of several people who are a major pain in the ass to the Empire(Luke Skywalker for one, but there's others). I mean, they should have realized that there must have been somebody important on Tatooine if Leia was running there with the Death Star plans, even if he wasn't on Tatooine at the time they destroyed Alderaan, but the Empire could not have known that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128111 on: October 29, 2017, 06:46:35 am »

Tatooine isn't really a hub of the hutts', it's just a place under their influence.

And I don't think Leia was deliberately heading to Tatooine, they just exited hyperspace there for whatever reason, and she sent the droids to the only known ally on the planet when her ship got intercepted and boarded.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128112 on: October 29, 2017, 06:57:18 am »

Take out the hub of a major intergalactic criminal organization(the Hutts, possibly more)

But the empire liked Jabba. A corrupt regime enjoys having some thugs around that you can give the dirty jobs to.

And nuking Tatooine would have no propaganda value. Remember that only Vader was after the stolen plans, Tarkin was higher in the chain of command than Vader before he died, as pointed out by Leia saying he "held Vader's leash" and Tarkin never cared one jot about the stolen plans, because he thought they would be useless to the rebels.

And I don't think Leia was deliberately heading to Tatooine, they just exited hyperspace there for whatever reason, and she sent the droids to the only known ally on the planet when her ship got intercepted and boarded.

You're right, I was going to write that but I just thought we couldn't discount the fact that she might have gone past there on purpose. She did write the message mere seconds before the escape pod left, so it wasn't a pre-planned thing. Still, it'd be one hell of a coincidence if tatooine just happens to be on the route from Scarrif to Alderan. And on the route from the Corsucant to Naboo. And on the route from ... etc etc. One hell of a "remote" planet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:03:48 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128113 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:01 am »

Tatooine moves around. It is wherever it needs to be whenever it needs to be.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128114 on: October 29, 2017, 07:10:30 am »

So you... want to send your alien foe a bombardment of the remains of their former planets that you destroyed?

That's a new level of harsh- to put that in perspective, that'd be like bombarding the Rebel Base on Hoth (Echo Base) with bits of Alderaan.
You're getting the idea, yes. Probably make a closer comparison to bombarding whatever outer rim world was next with bits of bakura, after getting fed up with trying to stuff their population into your computers' batteries.

Hoth was pretty empty, if you're going to drop the wreckage of a destroyed planetary population onto another planetary population you want to hit something with a bit more impact, and the whole needlessly sadistic alien lizard people stuffing the souls of xeno non-people into pain matrices to power their kitchen appliances and whatnot is a lot more in line with turning a planet's debris field into the proverbial rocks fallen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 8539 8540 [8541] 8542 8543 ... 11037