Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8536 8537 [8538] 8539 8540 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528385 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128055 on: October 27, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »

EHat: The definition of "gender" has no bearing on the definitions of "man" and "woman". It sounds like you have an issue with certain definitions of "man" and "woman".

In re examples of outside pressure attempting to drive language change and failing, have you heard of the "euphemism treadmill"? It's different in nature, but it runs on similar principles and is easier to explain succinctly.

hector13: What I mean is that, if you go to people who speak a different dialect and tell them that their dialect is wrong and yours is right, it doesn't tend to convince them to change dialect, and usually makes them just use theirs harder.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128056 on: October 27, 2017, 05:46:18 pm »

If you plant it they will come, I would recommend washing any food that isn't sealed if you are starting to get hatchling clusters as spiders tend to spray venom near their nest sites to protect their young from predators.
You mean that spider venom is poisonous to ingest? I didn't know that. Assumed it wasn't because you can eat rattlesnake venom, but I guess not all venom would work the same.
Yep, only time the False Widow (Steatoda Nobilis) has killed people with its venom (only only its venom, no piggybacking bacteria) is an elderly couple who ate grapes that had been coated by the concentrated venom of a nesting pair, even then it took a week of ingesting it everyday.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128057 on: October 27, 2017, 05:49:21 pm »

EHat: The definition of "gender" has no bearing on the definitions of "man" and "woman". It sounds like you have an issue with certain definitions of "man" and "woman".
So you would see nothing transphobic about defining gender as, for example: "your status as a man or a woman, as determined by whether you have a penis or vagina at birth."

You still haven't given an example of how language is a pendulum or social movements that redefine language are always doomed.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128058 on: October 27, 2017, 05:53:14 pm »

Is this heading in a direction where it needs its own thread or something?

Ire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128059 on: October 27, 2017, 05:54:38 pm »

Fucking liberal mentality. Yeah move this crap to a new thread so I don't have to see this triggering shit.
Us Alt rights need our safe spaces

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128060 on: October 27, 2017, 05:55:20 pm »

So you would see nothing transphobic about defining gender as, for example: "your status as a man or a woman, as determined by whether you have a penis or vagina at birth."
That wouldn't be a definition of gender. That would be defining multiple terms at once.
You still haven't given an example of how language is a pendulum or social movements that redefine language are always doomed.
So I take it you aren't familiar with the euphemism treadmill, then?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128061 on: October 27, 2017, 05:55:37 pm »

Fucking liberal mentality. Yeah move this crap to a new thread so I don't have to see this triggering shit.
what

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #128062 on: October 27, 2017, 05:56:15 pm »

This'll be a quick one..?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128063 on: October 27, 2017, 05:57:11 pm »

I express my displeasure with you in a calm and reasonable manner. Pistols at noon?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128064 on: October 27, 2017, 05:57:57 pm »

As do the left shifts and right ctrls.

Debates that devolve into politics should do the correct thing and go build their own room to argue/debate in and leave the WTF thread for WTF things.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Ire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128065 on: October 27, 2017, 05:59:01 pm »

Yes good sir. I clean my pistol

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128066 on: October 27, 2017, 06:03:22 pm »

That wouldn't be a definition of gender. That would be defining multiple terms at once.
So I take it you aren't familiar with the euphemism treadmill, then?
That's not what I mean by example.  I'm asking for a specific time that this phenomenon you're describing happened.  When's a time that a social movement attempted to redefine a word and it didn't work?

Let me try this, what equivalent word has replaced the n-word in common vocabulary (as in, not specifically used by bigots, the same commonness of usage as the old word used to have)?

Edit: I think Ire might be some kind of music based spambot.  But if we want to stop or move this conversation that's fine
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128067 on: October 27, 2017, 06:10:00 pm »

And to think I was checking the Moderation log only an hour or so ago.
Somehow, I knew something was going to happen soon. This, this will be my WTF of the day.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #128068 on: October 27, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »

(Removed the n-word stuff, banned accordingly.  Does this need a mod log?  Not like this was much of a community member.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128069 on: October 27, 2017, 07:02:52 pm »

I don't think so. He signed up less then a month ago and this was the first time I've ever seen him.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence
Pages: 1 ... 8536 8537 [8538] 8539 8540 ... 11037