Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8533 8534 [8535] 8536 8537 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14527497 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128010 on: October 26, 2017, 10:02:53 pm »

Philosophical zombies were invented by philosophical zombies anyway, there's nothing to 'em.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #128011 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:02 pm »

I was cooking supper when I randomly wondered "What would happen if everyone in the world got body-swapped?". At first it was funny, then I thought about the ramifications of it and was shocked at how utterly terrifying it would be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How is this not a TV Series, Anime or Book yet, and if it is, where can I find it?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128012 on: October 26, 2017, 10:48:52 pm »

Philosophical zombies were invented by philosophical zombies anyway, there's nothing to 'em.

Philosophical zombies were invented by a Chinese Room AI.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #128013 on: October 27, 2017, 04:11:34 am »

The problem I’ve heard about the Chinese Room AI is that, while the person moving the pieces may not be exhibiting consciousness, the same cannot be said for the system as a whole.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128014 on: October 27, 2017, 04:17:44 am »

It might be a conscious AI, it might be a really advanced chatbot.

https://xkcd.com/632/

I was cooking supper when I randomly wondered "What would happen if everyone in the world got body-swapped?". At first it was funny, then I thought about the ramifications of it and was shocked at how utterly terrifying it would be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How is this not a TV Series, Anime or Book yet, and if it is, where can I find it?

It would be apocalyptic, as most people would have no idea what they needed to be doing or how to do it, so supplies of food, oil, water even would decrease rapidly. End of the world as we know it. Some people might survive, subsistence farmers who were bodyshifted into a subsistence farming area a bit like where they came from, provided nobody messed around with those nuclear codes.
One wheel short of a wagon

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #128015 on: October 27, 2017, 04:40:09 am »

/philosophical introspection
---
Edit:  This was triggered by pondering Law vs Chaos and Good vs Evil.  DND Alignment, AKA, the 2D US political spectrum.  Selfishness vs altruism (No really, is one better?) and more interestingly, establishment vs freedom.  Safety vs liberty.  Hmm.

Order and chaos are the same thing. Good and Evil are a single multifaceted prism. DND alignment is false division to see people through the simplest terms and most convenient definitions. Altruism is the peak of selfishness and true selfishness is altruistic. There is no freedom without an establishment to give it meaning, safety is an illusion, and so is liberty. None of these statements make any sense, and yet they make all the sense there is.

[+ see my current sig]
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128016 on: October 27, 2017, 04:47:42 am »

The problem I’ve heard about the Chinese Room AI is that, while the person moving the pieces may not be exhibiting consciousness, the same cannot be said for the system as a whole.

It's sort of akin to asking which neuron is the conscious neuron in your brain. No neuron is conscious, yet the network is. In Searle's Chinese Room that's the big Red Herring. He says "well the human is conscious and he's doing the processing, and he doesn't understand Chinese, so nothing does". It's a straight up category error.

Well ... what if we have a Chinese Room with 1 billion smaller rooms each with a person in it? Each person is responsible for processing different sets of symbols. By Searle's argument that's not conscious either since the 1 billion people don't know Chinese. The number of people responsible for the signal processing shouldn't matter.

However, take those 1 billion people and shrink them inside the neurons of an actual Chinese person. Give them a set of instructions for incoming and outgoing neuronal signals. By Searle's logic, this network cannot be conscious either, because the people inside the neurons don't know Chinese. This thought experiment should clearly show the flaw in Searle's logic: which neuron is the neuron which "knows Chinese?"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:01:57 am by Reelya »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #128017 on: October 27, 2017, 06:08:38 am »

In a nice place, our local hunting(?) spiders are pretty friendly. Scurrying in many areas, and pretty sensitive to even someone's breathing, this little bugger snuck up behind me while I was using my laptop. (because I'm studying near a wall) :I Then I gasped in surprise and it scurried away.
Then SUPER SPIDER SURPRISE when I was taking care of my puppy. A hundred or more babby spiders right on the wall next to the opening of our door, far away from them spiders where I usually see them in others' homes. :'( They were just there, plastered all over.

Now I'm wondering if this is becoming a problem, or that those are just nice house spiders who take care of our local insect population because our backyard is a forest. :-[

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #128018 on: October 27, 2017, 06:12:59 am »

Dog just got run over.

Walked it off.

((Took him to the vet, of course, and he's stiff and sore. But apparently no issues, even though a car just ran over his middle. This is the same dog that got knocked unconscious by a trailer, fell asleep and got run over the neck by the car he was under, clipped himself on a tractor, and has run into the side of moving cars more often than I can count. I am actually wondering if he's Wolverine.))
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #128019 on: October 27, 2017, 06:17:31 am »

Wolferine
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128020 on: October 27, 2017, 07:06:37 am »

He's an old dog, as well. I am more relieved than I can say that he's alright, hah.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128021 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:25 am »

In a nice place, our local hunting(?) spiders are pretty friendly. Scurrying in many areas, and pretty sensitive to even someone's breathing, this little bugger snuck up behind me while I was using my laptop. (because I'm studying near a wall) :I Then I gasped in surprise and it scurried away.
Then SUPER SPIDER SURPRISE when I was taking care of my puppy. A hundred or more babby spiders right on the wall next to the opening of our door, far away from them spiders where I usually see them in others' homes. :'( They were just there, plastered all over.

Now I'm wondering if this is becoming a problem, or that those are just nice house spiders who take care of our local insect population because our backyard is a forest. :-[
The shape of that spider does suggest a roaming hunter. Web spinners aren't very agile off web and typically larger abdomens.
If you plant it they will come, I would recommend washing any food that isn't sealed if you are starting to get hatchling clusters as spiders tend to spray venom near their nest sites to protect their young from predators.
Kinda looks like a giant house spider (but with stripy legs and different body colouration and patterns) which is pretty harmless but eats annoying critters like woodlice (and I think they sometimes eat False Widows which is one of the few British spider species that can actually hurt us), most wandering spiders aren't aggressive to humans. The Brazilian Wandering Spider being a notable exception.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #128022 on: October 27, 2017, 01:56:06 pm »

Dog just got run over.

Walked it off.

((Took him to the vet, of course, and he's stiff and sore. But apparently no issues, even though a car just ran over his middle. This is the same dog that got knocked unconscious by a trailer, fell asleep and got run over the neck by the car he was under, clipped himself on a tractor, and has run into the side of moving cars more often than I can count. I am actually wondering if he's Wolverine.))

Well... that really put my day into perspective. I'm glad your dog is okay!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128023 on: October 27, 2017, 02:27:25 pm »

Thanks! Update: Dog is in his bed. We got him up to walk around again, because his legs seem to be sore and stiff (understandably.) He walked down to our front yard, said hello to our Alsatian (who came a few months ago as a pup, and has become his best friend) then he walked back up to his bed again. All very optimistic. Some slight worry about internal injuries, but no signs of them as of yet. His pee is blood-free, and no bloating or abnormalities noted. Time will tell.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128024 on: October 27, 2017, 02:29:36 pm »

If I got run over by a car and all that happened to me was sore and stiff legs, I'd consider it a pretty good day (and start going to church every sunday for the rest of my life, most likely)
Pages: 1 ... 8533 8534 [8535] 8536 8537 ... 11037