Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8510 8511 [8512] 8513 8514 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14539842 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127665 on: October 14, 2017, 06:39:57 pm »

I wonder if DC or Marvel comics (or whoever owns the IP to the Hulk comic franchise and copyright) was even okay with the use of the character in that ad.

Speaking of companies taking over/co-opting old superhero cartoons/comics, GEICO has one of an 80's cartoon (Beastman I think) with the bad guy doing the product placement and flying off.

Meanwhile, the Progressive ads keep getting wierder and wierder. It's like those two insurance companies are in a competition with each other to make the wierdest and most creative commercial with the Progressive ones going off into a sea of nonsense with GEICO staying relatively sane (if corny at times).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #127666 on: October 14, 2017, 06:46:12 pm »

I wonder if DC or Marvel comics (or whoever owns the IP to the Hulk comic franchise and copyright) was even okay with the use of the character in that ad.

Read the vertical line on the far left of the ad. If you can't, it reads

HULK TM and © 19?0 MARVEL COMICS GROUP, A DIVISION OF CADENCE INDUSTRIES CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Not only was this authorized, I suspect it was publish in a Marvel comic.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127667 on: October 14, 2017, 06:46:48 pm »

Hulk! Help! These villainous Bay12 posters are going to make me die of laughter! :))

Edit: aw jeez, a new page. Awkward. I can't think of any fresh wtfs right now.
I woke up hours early and couldn't get back to sleep, does that count?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:50:23 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127668 on: October 14, 2017, 06:55:38 pm »

lmgtfy
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf

"A DRIVER has been arrested after he left a female passenger in his fiery car wreck where she burned to death while he hailed a taxi".

Uh yeah, not quite the fun and quirky wtf I was hoping for.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/journalist-kim-walls-decapitated-head-found-months-after-going-missing-on-peter-madsens-submarine/news-story/89f1621b0de93cfbc5f7925b7c0defa5
"THE decapitated head and legs of a missing journalist have been found months after she went missing while interviewing a Danish inventor aboard his submarine".

Uh, also a WTF but not what I was hoping for ... apparently the submarine inventor turned out to be some kind of serial killer / psycho. :o

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/candidate-sacked-over-photos-showing-him-posing-with-celebrity-wax-figures/news-story/84bd61f9791079479addcb487586ba08

"A NICK Xenophon candidate has been fired for posing inappropriately with celebrity wax figures and posting the photos online".

That's a bit more like it. Candidate for a political reformist party had to step down because he uploaded photos of himself groping celebrity wax figures.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:10:18 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127669 on: October 14, 2017, 07:25:17 pm »

I know it's a few pages back, but thanks for that post about the weeb SJW who discovered that the only thing to do with degree work relating to being a weeb SJW is trying to reach far enough to write papers about weeb SJW "issues"

That guy's just in the pocket of Big Weeb.

btw is this the one about feminism vs Kantai Collection or something better than that?

With that one I really like they way they write about the consumers of the media as if they are the dogs in Pavlov's experiments. They cite that consumers are being taught to view the source media in exactly one way. And that "way" you've being taught to think just happens to line up with critiques based on feminist ideology*. Handy, right?

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

Just the KanColle thing. Which is pretty patently absurd, given how straightforward the actual reason is. Popular niches: "cute girls doing stuff"; "military tech". Shockingly, there is audience overlap. Thus, cute girls doing stuff related to military tech. Toss in a little bit of the Japanese tendency to make cute anthropomorphized mascots of gorram everything and bam.

But yes, I know exactly what you mean. That's what I was getting at with the mention of the Marxist nonsense--Marxist and feminist criticism in literature are pretty much spot-on for the sort of shit you get from SJW "scholars" these days. Except that the former actually have a small set of cases where they're useful tools (i.e. stuff like doing feminist readings of Plath, where feminist thought and themes are central to the works), whereas the latter are just a circlejerk of deceptive bullshit "alternate definitions" and frantically jamming the square shape into the round hole.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127670 on: October 14, 2017, 07:35:32 pm »

Hey man, art can be interpreted any way someone wants to interpret it. Marketplace of ideas and all that.

Fakeedit: I am being semi-but-really-mostly facetious, by the by.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127671 on: October 14, 2017, 07:48:01 pm »

Sure can, however when you get a one-trick pony you need to take that with a grain of salt. e.g. Chick Comics are the same. Or Scientology. Or David Icke. Any fairly rigid ideology is less about meaningful analysis of the thing itself, and much more about how they can shoehorn more things into fitting with that group's pre-defined list of conspiracy theories, in the sense of the saying "if the only tool you have is a hammer, you treat everything like a nail".

It makes the analysis sort of worthless in telling you almost anything worthwhile about the thing they're studying, but you can learn quite a bit about the researcher's bias by studying their works alongside other non-aligned sources. e.g. if non-gender studies scholars cite a number of factors explaining something but those factors aren't explored whatsoever in gender studies versions, and instead they jump straight to "patriarchal conspiracy" for the explanation, even when that's a more convoluted explanation, you're learning about their biases and thought processes, not the thing being studied. It's similar to how Jack Chick's "Dark Dungeons" is absolutely worthless for understanding anything about role-playing games but you can learn a lot about the anti-roleplaying game hysteria of the 1980s from the piece.

An example here would be a piece I read claiming that dowries were "bride price", a totally different concept. The mistake happened because the author was working from the worldview "traditional society views women as a commodity". Therefore if there's a payment, then it must be to obtain the woman. When it was pointed out by comments that dowries work the other way, the author responded "that's even worse - it implies women are a commodity having negative value". Which is just clearly doubling-down on a misunderstanding due to holding onto a rigid ideological position, even when maintaining that worldview leads to a contradiction. If something has no trade value, then it's not viewed as a commodity. Yet, people still invested in raising daughters, then provided money for them when they married. This is not consistent behavior with the "traditional society views women as a commodity" argument. In fact, dowrys were the female's share of inheritance. Girls obtained their share on marriage - when they left the family, and boys obtained their share on the death of the parents. The main reason to do this was to avoid inheritance disputes between different families on the death of the parents while still providing for all your descendants.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:10:48 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127672 on: October 14, 2017, 08:01:02 pm »

... apparently the submarine inventor turned out to be some kind of serial killer / psycho. :o
Talk about an "evil genius"... :))

David Icke
Man, that reminds me of a fairly recent wtf.
Had someone start telling me about David Icke's "teachings" with a straight face... I'd never heard of the guy, so until I googled him I had no idea he was one of the world's premier crazed conspiracy theorists.
Also his Australian "tour" was apparently imminent at the time. I'm pretty sure I probably already posted about the incident in this very thread, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127673 on: October 14, 2017, 08:17:41 pm »

You should check out Icke's history to know exactly why he was laughed out of England.

He was a football player, who became a sport's commentator, then a rep for the Greens Party. But then ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke#Turquoise_period
There followed what Icke called his "turquoise period". He had been channelling for some time, he wrote, and had received a message through automatic writing that he was a "Son of the Godhead", interpreting "Godhead" as the "Infinite Mind". He began to wear only turquoise, often a turquoise shell suit, a colour he saw as a conduit for positive energy. ... In August 1990, before his visit to Peru, Icke had met Deborah Shaw, an English psychic living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. When he returned from Peru they began a relationship, with the apparent blessing of Icke's wife. In March 1991 Shaw began living with the couple, a short-lived arrangement that the press called the "turquoise triangle". ... Icke and his wife, Linda Atherton, along with their daughter and Deborah Shaw, held a press conference to announce that Icke was a son of the Godhead.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:32:24 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127674 on: October 14, 2017, 08:43:10 pm »

Sure can, however when you get a one-trick pony you need to take that with a grain of salt. e.g. Chick Comics are the same. Or Scientology. Or David Icke. Any fairly rigid ideology is less about meaningful analysis of the thing itself, and much more about how they can shoehorn more things into fitting with that group's pre-defined list of conspiracy theories, in the sense of the saying "if the only tool you have is a hammer, you treat everything like a nail".

It makes the analysis sort of worthless in telling you almost anything worthwhile about the thing they're studying, but you can learn quite a bit about the researcher's bias by studying their works alongside other non-aligned sources. e.g. if non-gender studies scholars cite a number of factors explaining something but those factors aren't explored whatsoever in gender studies versions, and instead they jump straight to "patriarchal conspiracy" for the explanation, even when that's a more convoluted explanation, you're learning about their biases and thought processes, not the thing being studied. It's similar to how Jack Chick's "Dark Dungeons" is absolutely worthless for understanding anything about role-playing games but you can learn a lot about the anti-roleplaying game hysteria of the 1980s from the piece.

An example here would be a piece I read claiming that dowries were "bride price", a totally different concept. The mistake happened because the author was working from the worldview "traditional society views women as a commodity". Therefore if there's a payment, then it must be to obtain the woman. When it was pointed out by comments that dowries work the other way, the author responded "that's even worse - it implies women are a commodity having negative value". Which is just clearly doubling-down on a misunderstanding due to holding onto a rigid ideological position, even when maintaining that worldview leads to a contradiction. If something has no trade value, then it's not viewed as a commodity. Yet, people still invested in raising daughters, then provided money for them when they married. This is not consistent behavior with the "traditional society views women as a commodity" argument. In fact, dowrys were the female's share of inheritance. Girls obtained their share on marriage - when they left the family, and boys obtained their share on the death of the parents. The main reason to do this was to avoid inheritance disputes between different families on the death of the parents while still providing for all your descendants.
Crazy "gender studies" people really give actual academic study of gender a bad name.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127675 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:24 pm »

Arielle Schlesinger was my favorite one of those: the girl who wanted to throw out binary logic and objects in programming languages because they enforce binary thinking and objectification. (c+= was the parody, but the original thing was legit). It wish this was made up, but somehow I also wish she'd keep pushing this stuff more.

http://justechne.com/

the different methodologies Yvonne Rogers presents in HCI Theory: Classical, Modern, and Contemporary, Chapter 5, “Modern Theories.” It seems in today’s world, theories need to prove their usefulness to the field, not so much intellectually, but in their application to the “design of technology and work”.

These incognito-capitalist criticisms range from not being easy to use, to not being quick to produce.

"Incognito-capitalist" is like saying "crypto-fascist".

Uhh, but the book is about approaches in the design of technology and work. That's what the "Human Computer Interface" research is all about. And it's rightly so that the core design principles are in creating easy-to-use things as straightforwardly as possible. If she really cares about accessibility for minorities, why is she railing against straightforward approaches in favor of arcane unusable stuff because it's more "intellectual". That's postmoderns for you  ::)

https://www.hastac.org/blogs/ari-schlesinger/2014/07/14/feminist-code-critical-code-studies-working-group-2014

For those of you who need a refresher, Critical Code Studies is built around the reading of code as text to be critically analyzed through humanities frameworks. As such, Mark Marino asked me to find examples of feminist code for the participants to critique | analyze.

To prep for this event I collaborated with Jacqueline Wernimont, Assistant Professor of English at Scripps College, and Ben Weidermann, Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Harvey Mudd College. Through my conversations with Jacque, we agreed on the clear absence of executable code written through a language developed with a distinctly feminist framework. The type of feminist code I was interested in theorizing about doesn’t exist yet,  there is an archival silence.

So ... she came up with this idea, then supportive people asked for examples of "feminist" code. Yet she has ... jack shit. She can't even elaborate what would make code "feminist code" at all. How about black code, gay code, what does that look like? Then are we going to see intersectional code?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:31:58 pm by Reelya »

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #127676 on: October 14, 2017, 09:10:41 pm »

You should check out Icke's history to know exactly why he was laughed out of England.

He was a football player, who became a sport's commentator, then a rep for the Greens Party. But then ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke#Turquoise_period
There followed what Icke called his "turquoise period". He had been channelling for some time, he wrote, and had received a message through automatic writing that he was a "Son of the Godhead", interpreting "Godhead" as the "Infinite Mind". He began to wear only turquoise, often a turquoise shell suit, a colour he saw as a conduit for positive energy. ... In August 1990, before his visit to Peru, Icke had met Deborah Shaw, an English psychic living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. When he returned from Peru they began a relationship, with the apparent blessing of Icke's wife. In March 1991 Shaw began living with the couple, a short-lived arrangement that the press called the "turquoise triangle". ... Icke and his wife, Linda Atherton, along with their daughter and Deborah Shaw, held a press conference to announce that Icke was a son of the Godhead.

As a Godhead for a Let's Play right now, I am grumpy.

That's not how Godheads work! Pay attention to the Sermons, damnit!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127677 on: October 14, 2017, 09:24:12 pm »

"incognito-capitalist" is like saying "crypto-fascist".
Hey, I say crypto-fascist. Mostly while drunk, I gotta admit, but still.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127678 on: October 14, 2017, 10:47:54 pm »

Is it Noel Fielding? 'Cause that's totes normal, dw about it
Booze is Life for Yoink

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127679 on: October 14, 2017, 10:56:22 pm »

Noel Fielding?

I guess that’s my wtf for the day.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 8510 8511 [8512] 8513 8514 ... 11037