Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8508 8509 [8510] 8511 8512 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14542189 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127635 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:10 pm »

She'll find her crowd in people who already want an excuse to fear and hate; same as, say, a religious condemnation of something does.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127636 on: October 13, 2017, 06:58:20 pm »

Also, what the heck would a "Genshiken advisor" do? Maybe there's a 13-dan Fundoshi Master, Bukkake advisor, and Shokushu Trainer as well?

You're actually right there. The term in Japanese is "Gendai Shikaku Bunka Kenkyūkai", shortened to "Genshiken", but as far as I can tell, that name and abbreviation is in fact from the manga.

EDIT: googling around I can't find any evidence that anyone in Japan calls their clubs "Genshiken". But several "Genshiken" groups exist in America. So it's a purely American trend where they're naming Japanese-themed clubs after a fictional club in a manga, and this is being adopted by "Japanese culture experts" in academia now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:10:53 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127637 on: October 13, 2017, 08:28:21 pm »

Sometimes I forget how stupid people are, then I'm quickly reminded.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127638 on: October 13, 2017, 08:31:40 pm »

I readily admit that I know nothing about wine and am therefore mystified. Please explain.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127639 on: October 13, 2017, 08:33:01 pm »

That page is actually a parody of a real one. Basically they're pretending to have mistaken QR Codes for the Halal certification symbol.

Notice the wording "sharp eyed member L spotted something she didn't understand on the bottle and alerted us immediately". Which is clearly taking the piss.

However, the "stupid" here was that others who weren't in on the joke then took up the crusade against Halal wines ...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:39:20 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127640 on: October 13, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »

Halal is basically like saying kosher. It kind of looks like the lady is freaking out over those pixelated squares, three of which are cleverly in wine glasses, (I forget what they're called) since that's the most prominent thing.

That page is actually a parody of a real one. Basically they're pretending to have mistaken QR Codes for the Halal certifiction symbol.

Notice the wording "sharp eyed member L spotted something she didn't understand on the bottle and alerted us immediately". Which is clearly taking the piss.

QR Codes! Yeah, that's what I was trying to think of.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #127641 on: October 13, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »

Halal is basically like saying kosher. It kind of looks like the lady is freaking out over those pixelated squares, three of which are cleverly in wine glasses, (I forget what they're called) since that's the most prominent thing.

The thing is that there's no such thing as Halal wine - all forms of recreational alcohol are automatically haram. "Halal wine" is much like "Kosher Ham" - an oxymoron.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127642 on: October 13, 2017, 08:41:52 pm »

The thing is that there's no such thing as Halal wine - all forms of recreational alcohol are automatically haram. "Halal wine" is much like "Kosher Ham" - an oxymoron.
explaining the joke.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127643 on: October 13, 2017, 08:42:50 pm »

explaining the joke.
explaining explaining the joke. Jokesplaining.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127644 on: October 13, 2017, 08:44:37 pm »

The joke is funny but the stupid is all to real. although its apparently shifted to Easter eggs by now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:47:48 pm by redwallzyl »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127645 on: October 13, 2017, 08:57:55 pm »

I say we have pigs jizz on all our food, and then how will those Halal people like it? Certify that, mofos!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127646 on: October 13, 2017, 09:42:12 pm »

Technically, GMO crops are both non-kosher, and non-halal.

Just make *EVERYTHING* GMO, and you have succeeded. No porcine gametes needed.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127647 on: October 13, 2017, 10:05:06 pm »

Isn’t everything GMO anyway?

I mean the various grains around these days were selectivel bred for various things over thousands of years so...

Religions with dietary requirements are buggered, apparently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127648 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:37 pm »

Yeah, wild wheat has 14 chromosomes, while domestic wheat has 42. Basically the ancients selected for wheat which had genetic deformities which cause it to grow excessively large due to overloading the amount it produced certain proteins. Yeah very "natural".

Not just that however, back in the postwar era they used to zap seeds with radiation to make mutations happen, then cross-breed that back into the strains. They just didn't call it "GMO". It's only freaking people out since we learned to do it selectively.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:15:08 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127649 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15:03 pm »

Not just that however, back in the postwar era they used to zap seeds with radiation to make mutations happen, then cross-breed that back into the strains. They just didn't call it "GMO". It's only freaking people out side we learned to do it selectively.
Haha, yes, that has always been one of my favourite stories of agricultural history. One day, one day I am going to try that myself.
Pages: 1 ... 8508 8509 [8510] 8511 8512 ... 11037