Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8503 8504 [8505] 8506 8507 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14537569 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127560 on: October 10, 2017, 07:46:09 am »

Think I went a bit heavy on the cayenne pepper whilst cooking my tofu. Now my face feels like it's burning from the inside out and I sneezed... twice.

I also basted (pretty sure that's the word I'm looking for, I can hardly cook at all and am certainly not up with all this high-level culinary terminology) said tofu in Vegemite, which is probably a WTF in itself for some.
Turned out alright. Didn't have a particularly strong Vegemite flavour and I still have no idea what I'm doing, but at least the added moisture seemed to stop bits of tofu getting burnt onto the bottom of the pot like usual.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127561 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:18 am »

I think what you are looking for is called "making a rue", or "reduction glaze", depending on your intent.

(If you are making a water based gravy using a vegetable oil, flour, some spices and vegemite-- you create the rue first by heating the oil and vegemite together until it starts to denaturate the vegemite, add flour and stir until well mixed, smooth, and begins to brown the flour. Then add cool water quickly while stirring briskly to create the gravy.)

(If you are just using heated vegemite, 'reduction glaze' is likely what you are creating.)

Some spices combine VERY well with rue, (like curry powder), while other do not.

I would think that you could make something very similar to a hearty meat gravy using a mushroom reduction broth, (made from portabella mushroom), with a rue made from vegemite, peanut oil, black pepper, and salt.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127562 on: October 10, 2017, 07:06:42 pm »

Either roux or reduction is going to thicken the Vegemite, which is already too thick and sticky to be a basting sauce as we normally understand them. You want nappe, not Nutella.

If you wanted to add Vegemite to tofu in vegan cooking, I'd probably just cook the tofu in an onion gravy made with mushroom broth and add Vegemite instead of Worcestershire sauce once it was together. It would still take on the consistency of a thinned roux, which is what you want for basting anyway, but that way you'd avoid overheating (and apparently denaturing) the Vegemite.

Or, if you wanted it fried, marinate it in kombu shiitake dashi mixed with Vegemite and then fry normally. Throw the dashi into the above gravy and there you go.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:22:11 pm by Trekkin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127563 on: October 10, 2017, 08:30:22 pm »

Thanks for the tips and info, guys! Yeah, I think what I was doing was closer to a glaze, though really I was just smearing some Vege on before cooking.
I'll have to try some of these methods, I think I may have cooked out most of the Vegemite flavour in the process of frying the tofu. I'm still very much a novice chef (to put it mildly), however.
Although today I did add some wilted spinach into the mix! It worked quite nicely. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #127564 on: October 11, 2017, 01:16:36 am »

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/
"Well, the stars have finally aligned -- we are now working on a direct sequel to Star Control II® -- The Ur-Quan Masters, called Ghosts of the Precursors™.  "

O_O
It's FEF, not FEOF

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127565 on: October 11, 2017, 08:11:37 am »

today I begin my 17 hour workday.

new job starts plus an old job got rekajiggered
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #127566 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:38 am »

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Heisenbird Uncertainty Principle
« Reply #127567 on: October 11, 2017, 10:43:22 am »

One wheel short of a wagon

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Heisenbird Uncertainty Principle
« Reply #127568 on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:14 am »

It happened.

The birds struck again.

For a second there I thought there was a Hitchcock sequel.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127569 on: October 11, 2017, 11:08:16 am »

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/
"Well, the stars have finally aligned -- we are now working on a direct sequel to Star Control II® -- The Ur-Quan Masters, called Ghosts of the Precursors™.  "

O_O
8D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127570 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:35 am »

THE WORDS!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127571 on: October 11, 2017, 01:09:26 pm »

today I begin my 17 hour workday.

halfway there; gym break. :p

gym makes me happy
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127572 on: October 11, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »

My brother keeps on insisting that FEMA is running death camps for hurricane victims.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127573 on: October 11, 2017, 01:47:46 pm »

My brother keeps on insisting that FEMA is running death camps for hurricane victims.

So his theory is that a these people survived a hurricane and a government agency is somehow going to kill them competently enough to cover it up?

I miss the days when I could believe that our government was competent enough to run death camps.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127574 on: October 11, 2017, 01:57:15 pm »

So his theory is that a these people survived a hurricane and a government agency is somehow going to kill them competently enough to cover it up?

I miss the days when I could believe that our government was competent enough to run death camps.

Ok guys we have tents, campfires, s'mores, ukuleles..... oh come on, who forgot the death? Bob, was it you? Well let's just make the best of it.

*campfire songs*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 8503 8504 [8505] 8506 8507 ... 11037