Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8500 8501 [8502] 8503 8504 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14537642 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127515 on: October 09, 2017, 01:56:28 pm »

Mary Sues are not objectively bad, it's another tool in the writer's tooolbox, and just because it's mostly bad writers who use it doesn't mean it can't be used well.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127516 on: October 09, 2017, 02:29:49 pm »

Yeah like Rick Sanchez is a Mary Sue and the quality of that show isn't divisive at all.

IN WTF NEWS.
I bit the bullet and updated to windows 10 and now everything is fixed... still though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127517 on: October 09, 2017, 02:33:15 pm »

I mean, there are plenty of stories that are front-and-center about their protagonist being a Mary-Sue, and they can still be good stories.

It would feel out of place in something like Star Trek though (to me). They used to go out of their way to avoid that whole thing. Jadzia Dax from DS9 is one of my favorite characters. She is like the Anti-Sue. I'd rather see someone like her in the new Star Trek.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127518 on: October 09, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »

People don’t want to see people fail on telly though. It’s meant to be an escape from the drudgery of your own failed existence, after all.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127519 on: October 09, 2017, 02:41:25 pm »

Not true.

Mary Sue protagonists are basically the polar opposite of an ensemble cast. It makes no sense to highlight how one person is exceptional in every possible way when you're meant to be spreading the focus around on a team. Multiple Mary Sue characters in one team would be ... getting to the point of ridiculous.

Mary Sues aren't just "never fails". It's more than that. They are exceptional in every aspect of their backstory. They usually have traits nobody else in canon has ever had, or which the wisest character will proclaim were "impossible. or so we thought until you were born". But instead of limiting it to one thing, they have this "best evar" thing going on for multiple traits. if they shit, they shit diamonds, or rubies on a bad day.

In fact, from the example of shonen vs shoujo. Shonen romcoms (male audience) have a clumsy, doofus male and awesome girls. While shoujo romcoms (the ones girls watch) have a clumsy, doofus girl and awesome boys. That's the law of romcoms. People don't want to see "perfect" people winning, they want to see underdogs they can relate to.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:47:50 pm by Reelya »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127520 on: October 09, 2017, 02:44:50 pm »

People don’t want to see people fail on telly though. It’s meant to be an escape from the drudgery of your own failed existence, after all.
...you never watched 'Wipeout', did you.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127521 on: October 09, 2017, 02:48:33 pm »

I'm not sure I'd say that star trek avoids mary sues. It's sorta "the thing" that the main characters, the captains especially, are the literal best people in the galaxy. At least Picard and Kirk were. And humanity as a whole with it's "morals" and "determination" often is held up as being intrinsically special, something remarked on quite a few times by various godlike aliens. Although it's handled well as you say, a badly written mary sue would still be pretty bad *cough* wesley crusher *cough*
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:51:12 pm by Criptfeind »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #127522 on: October 09, 2017, 02:49:34 pm »

Not true.

Mary Sue protagonists are basically the polar opposite of an ensemble cast. It makes no sense to highlight how one person is exceptional in every possible way when you're meant to be spreading the focus around on a team. Multiple Mary Sue characters in one team would be ... getting to the point of ridiculous.

Mary Sues aren't just "never fails". It's more than that. They are exceptional in every aspect of their backstory. They usually have traits nobody else in canon has ever had, or which the wisest character will proclaim were "impossible. or so we thought until you were born". But instead of limiting it to one thing, they have this "best evar" thing going on for multiple traits. if they shit, they shit diamonds, or rubies on a bad day.

In fact, from the example of shonen vs shoujo. Shonen romcoms (male audience) have a clumsy, doofus male and awesome girls. While shoujo romcoms (the ones girls watch) have a clumsy, doofus girl and awesome boys. That's the law of romcoms. People don't want to see "perfect" people winning, they want to see underdogs they can relate to.

You seem to be using an outdated definition. Nowadays, "Mary Sue" means "any character who is not blindingly incompetent."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127523 on: October 09, 2017, 02:52:58 pm »

Except it was always more interesting when someone didn’t fail :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127524 on: October 09, 2017, 03:03:26 pm »

I guess my point is that I'd like to see someone with real, actual accomplishments to stand on as a character (Dax) rather than someone who is born to be the chosen one, especially as a protagonist and especially in Star Trek.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127525 on: October 09, 2017, 03:09:02 pm »

Yeah, that's the difference between a real Mary Sue and Kirk for example.

Kirk is e.g. the "top graduate from the academy" and has been awarded a captaincy of a starship because he's highly competent. However, in any time and place someone must logically be "top graduate from the academy", and they're likely to be highly competent while also awarded lucrative positions, so there's no canon-bending bullshit going on there. Also, Kirk being a ladies' man is believable. It's exasperating but believable, because such people really exist. Also, it makes sense from a narrative standpoint that the guy we're following was the "top graduate from the academy" instead of some average schmuck.

Also, Kirk is only good at the things Kirk is good at, and he is often completely in the shit without the assistance of crewmembers who have skills he lacks. So he doesn't come across as a narrative Mary Sue. For a narrative Mary Sue, everything just works for them because "they're special" in specific ways, not just because they're the protagonist.

Whereas that stuff in the Star Trek: Discovery backstory doesn't make logical sense. There's no reason for such a person with those traits to even exist (in fact it openly breaks canon to do so), and no reason that people fall over backwards to award them honors and loyalty.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:18:30 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127526 on: October 09, 2017, 03:24:00 pm »

A friend of mine has pointed out that Commander Riker absolutely committed mutiny and generally cared very little for firing phasers at people he probably should not.

If what we are dealing with is Female Riker Trek, then that is rad as hell.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #127527 on: October 09, 2017, 04:19:12 pm »

While I really, really liked Voyager at the time of watching it, watching other people on the internet complain about it has convinced me that that blonde guy (Paris?) was an absolute Mary Sue times five hundred.
Love, scriver~

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127528 on: October 09, 2017, 06:04:55 pm »

Except it was always more interesting when someone didn’t fail :P
But every time someone's neck made a right angle you laughed. Don't lie to me.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127529 on: October 09, 2017, 06:41:16 pm »

While I really, really liked Voyager at the time of watching it, watching other people on the internet complain about it has convinced me that that blonde guy (Paris?) was an absolute Mary Sue times five hundred.

Ha ha oh did Paris that guy whose sole qualifications were 1) spectacularly failed small-craft pilot and 2) a convict break the Warp 10 barrier yeah that's just classic Paris let's not reference that again ever.

Then he gets the girl. The end.
Pages: 1 ... 8500 8501 [8502] 8503 8504 ... 11037