Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8484 8485 [8486] 8487 8488 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545647 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127275 on: October 03, 2017, 08:12:01 pm »

I am a stupid smart person?
I get told I am smart and in some ways I am.... In others, less so....

I don't quite get what a lot of people see as obvious ques.
Mostly these can be social or environmental.

I talk too fast. Oddly, I might not say much, but I'll say it quickly. Or, I have a ton of stuff I am basically made to say and have to say it in a short amount of time. I'm wound too tight.... Anxiety is a thing I feel. 

People interpret different words and phrases differently. It's confusing, to me anyhow. They also interpret different body languages as well, and that is also confusing for me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:19:31 pm by Transcendant »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127276 on: October 03, 2017, 08:24:21 pm »

I talk too fast. Oddly, I might not say much, but I'll say it quickly. Or, I have a ton of stuff I am basically made to say and have to say it in a short amount of time. I'm wound too tight.... Anxiety is a thing I feel. 

People interpret different words and phrases differently. It's confusing, to me anyhow. They also interpret different body languages as well, and that is also confusing for me.
well you can be bad at some things and good at others.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127277 on: October 03, 2017, 08:27:30 pm »

Once again, my parents are giving me crap about my hair. My mother's suggestion that she cut it right now since it's wet from the shower almost sounded like a threat. They seem to have a problem with my glorious shoulder-length hair. Or perhaps they think that since I'm bald on top(excepting a few hairs that refuse to give up) that I shouldn't have any hair on my head whatsoever. Pretty sure I overheard them say something like that. Perhaps still my stepdad simply wants my hair to look like his; he has the "skinhead neo-Nazi" hairstyle. For his case it works though, he is a skinhead neo-Nazi.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127278 on: October 03, 2017, 08:31:12 pm »

Once again, my parents are giving me crap about my hair. My mother's suggestion that she cut it right now since it's wet from the shower almost sounded like a threat. They seem to have a problem with my glorious shoulder-length hair. Or perhaps they think that since I'm bald on top(excepting a few hairs that refuse to give up) that I shouldn't have any hair on my head whatsoever. Pretty sure I overheard them say something like that. Perhaps still my stepdad simply wants my hair to look like his; he has the "skinhead neo-Nazi" hairstyle. For his case it works though, he is a skinhead neo-Nazi.
get a tonsure and become a monk.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127279 on: October 03, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »

Yeah. Good point. Although, human beings are odd creatures (to me anyhow, I guess). It really matters to people how you do things and how you communicate. Does not compute? At least not to me, or not always? I guess there are consequences to this also.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:38:02 pm by Transcendant »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127280 on: October 03, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »

Yeah. Good point. Although, human beings are odd creatures (to me anyhow, I guess). It really matters to people how you do things and how you communicate. Does not compute? At least not to me, or not always? I guess there are consequences to this also.
do you not pick up on social cues? or is it you don't know the proper accepted response to situations?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #127281 on: October 03, 2017, 08:56:15 pm »

Not really a WTF moment, because I know exactly why I'm doing it, but I'm sitting in my underpants, listening to Ave Maria, re-installing Fallout 4 nudie mods, and I was struck by non-plussedness, as I realized what I was doing.

College is weird. I'm quite sure this is not the experimentation I was forewarned of.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127282 on: October 03, 2017, 09:00:28 pm »

Hey, that sounds roughly like what I did in freshman year.

Now I'm close to finishing my studies, and instead of spending 4am drunk in a pub, I'm spending it at the institute working on my thesis. O tempora, o mores...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127283 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:47 pm »

do you not pick up on social cues? or is it you don't know the proper accepted response to situations?

Unsure: perhaps the former, not picking up? Either that or not grasping significance.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127284 on: October 03, 2017, 09:14:04 pm »

Not sure what to do about that exactly. I'm sure their are several other people here that have said similar things before. perhaps one of them can give there advice for helping overcome it in some way. have you tried maybe talking to a psychiatrist about it? you might have some kind of brain malfunction messing with your ability to read other people properly. it could just be lack of sufficient social interaction to develop the ability of coarse.

I had some socialization problems as a kid but I was sent to therapy with some other kids to help me interact with people better. It seems to have worked, I'm still very introverted but I can interact with people fine. I helps if you make some friends. also getting away from the old group of stupid highschoolers in into a setting with more like minded and nerdy people made it a lot easier to get to know people and not be constantly on the defensive and getting really mad and annoyed with everyone who I felt was antagonizing me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:24:58 pm by redwallzyl »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127285 on: October 04, 2017, 12:18:19 am »

My advice is trying to get in as many situations as you can where you can interact with people. I was in a similar situation at one point - I had trouble interacting with people (and I was completely clueless when it came to talking to people one-on-one) so I made sure to try to interact with groups of people instead. Admittedly it helped that I had just started college and so suddenly I was living very close to tons of people kinda like me, but the most important thing was making sure that I was around groups of people doing stuff where I could interact as much as I was comfortable but if I didn't people would ignore me instead of being irritated. Then I found friends that I had a lot in common with (but I still had trouble talking to people or holding up a conversation) and eventually I ended up forced to talk to one of them on my own to resolve an awkward situation. (it took me a while to actually do it though, since it was scary to talk to someone without someone else to hold up the conversation) Nowadays when I talk to a friend I learn a lot about talking from the interaction and I tend to pick up phrases/mannerisms/speech and conversation patterns from them.

tl;dr: I watched the way other people interacted for as long as I could to see what to do. Eventually, I reached the point where I couldn't rely on that, but by that point I had a decent amount of experience with talking to people and I could muddle my way through. And since then I've started to learn to talk to other people by practicing it instead of just observing (although that's useful too).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127286 on: October 04, 2017, 09:03:33 am »

Can you get them on discord, which seems to have easily overtaken Skype as the superior online communication option?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #127287 on: October 04, 2017, 02:44:39 pm »

So while I'm still gunner-chan on here, I've been going by some name variation of "koa" as a shortening of koakuma in a lot of places, sometimes mixed up with the word kon because foxes ye.

So running into this when popping in for the day is so weird and hilariously awkward. Heeelllpp! I've become a civilization!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #127288 on: October 04, 2017, 02:48:16 pm »

This is what happens when you dont wash behind your ears like mom told you to. Whole empires sprout from your noggin. And then what!?

So in happier news i finally get the chance to sleep. Yay!
It took fricken forever. And i only get like 6 hours. Graveyard shift suuucks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:50:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127289 on: October 04, 2017, 03:38:01 pm »

So while I'm still gunner-chan on here, I've been going by some name variation of "koa" as a shortening of koakuma in a lot of places, sometimes mixed up with the word kon because foxes ye.

So running into this when popping in for the day is so weird and hilariously awkward. Heeelllpp! I've become a civilization!
What are the immigration policies you have
I'm thinking of relocating
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 8484 8485 [8486] 8487 8488 ... 11037