Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8476 8477 [8478] 8479 8480 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14548097 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127155 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:49 pm »

Faith doing stuff isn't exactly new. There's books about it (as in fiction), Touhou gods get power from faith, Touhou Youkai don't exist in the outside world since people no longer believe in them.

Lol, I was going admonish you for using a super niche video game for what is a very common idea in fiction, but then I immediately brought up two video game examples myself and felt like a fool :P

Well this some of the research. In a controlled study (2011) they found that the group using guided imagery therapy saw an immune boost not seen in the control group. So that's proof that mental state does affect immune response, however it hasn't necessarily equated to improved clinical outcomes for cancer, and there's no evidence that the choice of imagery was in fact significant. There would need to be controlled studies using different imagery to have any conclusion about that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/belleruth-naparstek/guided-imagery-cancer-patients_b_1026296.html

Did they try to discover that placebo works? Because I think we already knew that. The issue is the why.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127156 on: September 30, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »

I immediately brought up two video game examples myself
I love god-games but haven't played that many, so I'd appreciate a couple recommendations!  Especially if they're older games <3
(Currently playing The Last Federation again, which is fairly new, and I think counts...  You're using phenomenal personal power to influence lesser beings, because only their combined strength can accomplish your objectives)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127157 on: September 30, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »

Bullet hell is a substantial subculture here too, heh, and Touhou is definitely the most well known.
Resisting urge to list less-well-known bullet hells I've played.
Particularly since Touhou was roughly as good or better IMHO

It was nice to hear Warning Forever namedropped in a slowbeef groupstream yesterday, though.  Even if the stream was from 2014 I think.

I've always particularly liked Ikaruga's gimmick, and... heh, this flash game which has a vaguely similar concept:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/dapbot/colourpod-2-dimensionpod?acomplete=colorpod

Flash will never die, any more than Final Fantasy pre-7 :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127158 on: September 30, 2017, 02:00:20 pm »

...super niche video game...

These are the Dwarf Fortress forums. I imagine lots of people here are probably disproportionately knowledgeable about niche video games.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127159 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:06 pm »

So I keep hearing bells ringing despite no reason for this sound to appear out of anywhere.
Started thinking, that I am going insane. Then try to find the source of this ominous bells ringing.....
It was ipod, which I did not use for like six months and then set to charge, and it had clock set to wake me up in 23 : 00....

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127160 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:59 pm »

...super niche video game...

These are the Dwarf Fortress forums. I imagine lots of people here are probably disproportionately knowledgeable about niche video games.
I mean I don't even play Dwarf Fortress I came here for the forum games
The genre of forum games is an obscure niche, honestly
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #127161 on: September 30, 2017, 02:43:16 pm »

I imagine lots of people here are probably disproportionately knowledgeable about niche video games.
Bow-Wow Puppy Love Story is the greatest video game ever made and I will stand by this to my dying day.

E: Second place, of course, goes to Sherlock Holmes: Hakushaku Reijō Yūkai Jiken.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127162 on: September 30, 2017, 08:56:27 pm »

This have been bugging me for a while now..
When and how on this bloody earth have the word thirsty become a sexual euphemism!?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127163 on: September 30, 2017, 08:59:04 pm »

Couple years now.

And considering it's specifically a euphemism for lust and/or arousal and/or incapacitating levels of either, it's a pretty easy connection to make?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127164 on: September 30, 2017, 09:02:51 pm »

Couple years now.
I have only noticed it in the recent months. And every time I see it in that context, I get disproportionately annoyed for some reason.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #127165 on: September 30, 2017, 09:04:01 pm »

Anything is, then when was it already was, and the how is the same way everything else is turned into one. Pretty sure longer than a couple years, though. Recall at least variations of the euphemistic use showing up in victorian erotica, so never mind a few years, junk's older than living memory :V

... any case, more seriously, probably depends on the specific usage. Off the top of my head I can think of three or four fairly vanilla ways the connection could form and at least one obvious one not so much mainstream (also, I regret nothing). If it's that one, though, yeah, it should be pretty obvious. Thirst as a lust for water and lust as a thirst for sex, probably who knows how many other formulations along that specific line.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #127166 on: September 30, 2017, 09:07:10 pm »

It is, though? Can be. Euphemisms tend to pretty explicitly piggyback on words with other (initial) meanings, in any case. It can be both.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #127167 on: September 30, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »

... yeah, totes honest, that's actually kinda' weird for me. Never mind historical stuff, I've seen the use occasionally in written word explicit or not more or less for the last few decades. Which is to say all of my life, discounting the parts I couldn't read and/or didn't notice some of the context. It's not common, exactly, but the word play involved is pretty straightforward most of the time. Not particularly strange as euphemism goes.

I can see it coming into popular use recently being something unusual-ish, I guess? Just not the use itself, since drink based sexual euphemisms, thirst specifically and otherwise, are just kinda' old. Older than me, older than my grandparents. Wouldn't be surprised if we eventually dig up something showing it to be older than the written word, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127168 on: September 30, 2017, 09:18:47 pm »

Yeah I've just never seen it in a sexual way either.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now you have.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127169 on: September 30, 2017, 09:32:57 pm »

Ah, manga. The most educational medium.
Pages: 1 ... 8476 8477 [8478] 8479 8480 ... 11038