Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8462 8463 [8464] 8465 8466 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519403 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126945 on: September 24, 2017, 01:52:12 am »

Apparently the Magne-Ge can induce a minor mental breakdown if read for some people.

Kind of surprised, honestly.

It may help to remember that the Magna Ge are canonically read by the sort of people who, while they may accept the Dawn Era as the end of a previous kalpa and all that that implies, still accept the concept of a Dragon Break as a discrete event. They force themselves to think that time can be nonlinear but only on special occasions; the Magna Ge illuminate how nonsensical that is. Even the Elder Scrolls can do so only by glaring omission -- or, more accurately, nobody in the lore has ever thought to tune them to prophecize about anything other than the future, so we don't know they can't.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #126946 on: September 24, 2017, 05:51:34 am »

Been thinking about Force Awakens a bit again recently. Personally I think it's a stinker of a movie on it's own merits.
--
The whole plot is about "finding the thingamagig" using the clues, however by the end of the movie, they only just found it. And everything that happened on the way was entirely circumstantial to the goal.
Looks like you stumbled upon the concept of 'modular scenes', or scenes that are only loosely tied to the rest of the plot, so as to be easy to remove from or add back into it.

Basically what happens is that the executives say your movie should be of a certain runtime, but you either have too little or too much material in your storyboard. If there's too little, you start adding modular scenes and even subplots that aren't integral to the main plot. If there's too much, you look at what you have and cut something out and shuffle the rest so that it still makes sense. Then you give the storyboard to the executives, who bounce it back, saying there should be more characters, vehicles etc. to make toys of, so you add some material but now have to cut old material out to fit the runtime requirement. Repeat this process with similar arbitrary rules a few more times and eventually the main plot is forgotten and your movie is little besides modular scenes, unless your writing and editing crew consists of geniuses. At this point the movie has a beginning and an end, but the middle is a dozen other movies entirely.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126947 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:22 am »

And it's great because it also automatically gives you another product to sell: the director's cut.
Love, scriver~

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126948 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:40 am »

Amelia Bedelia has good Rule 34.

Childhood: Ruined.

The internet was a mistake.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #126949 on: September 24, 2017, 08:11:11 am »

Eh, doesn't look like there's much of it, and it's mostly fairly tame as the stuff goes. I'd give the internet a pass on this one, it's been gentle.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #126950 on: September 24, 2017, 10:04:03 am »

Amelia Bedelia has good Rule 34.

Childhood: Ruined.

The internet was a mistake.
No, the mistake was trying to look up other fragments of my early childhood, like Madeline.

I learned my lesson. I'm not going anything earlier than Ben 10 and Pokemon anymore.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126951 on: September 24, 2017, 10:04:15 am »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #126952 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:54 pm »

Ever had that feeling when you wanted to play vidya gaems, yet the only thing you've done this day is browsing Reddit, TVTropes and Youtube? Because that's what all I did today...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126953 on: September 24, 2017, 01:08:48 pm »

You too? Shit, it must be some sort of ITD(Internet-Transmitted Disease).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126954 on: September 24, 2017, 02:29:38 pm »

I have never heard of Amelia Bedilia I assume she's some kind of maid?   Though I'm not sure if that last link is the original work or a joke.  If it's the original work I'll have to check it out, because that is awesome.

I have learned today that while getting a haircut I can ask for a shave too, and it just costs a tad more.   Looks a hell of a lot better professionally trimmed into a 'stache and goatee than when I try to do it after letting it run wild for a bit.  Now I won't have to break out the hedge clippers after my shaver's batteries run out and it takes me a week to bother to get new batteries.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:32:00 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126955 on: September 24, 2017, 02:40:40 pm »

It was a joke. Basically, Amelia Bedilia is character in a children's book series who is an extremely literal-minded maid. The pics in the link just take that to eldritch levels. The original stuff might still be worth a read.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #126956 on: September 24, 2017, 02:58:05 pm »

What’s a Magna Ge?

I get that it’s some kind of document you read, but I don’t get anything else...

Anyway, my own WTF:

I was checking the voice actors for Fire Emblem Heroes and noticed many heroes shared the same voice actors. For instance, Marth and Merric, Fae and Nino, Gunter And Wrys...

And to my ears they characters all sound like distinctly different characters. Granted, Fae and Nino are both young children, and Gunter And Wrys are both old men, but then you get Anna’s voice actor also doing the voice of Olivia, you kind of have to wonder, “How do they do it?”

So. How do they make their voice sound like someone else?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #126957 on: September 24, 2017, 03:03:12 pm »

I have never heard of Amelia Bedilia I assume she's some kind of maid?   Though I'm not sure if that last link is the original work or a joke.  If it's the original work I'll have to check it out, because that is awesome.

Amelia Bedilia is a maid in a classic series of books for rather young children.  The humor revolves around her taking every instruction she is given in the most literal manner possible. When told "put out the lights", she removed all the bulbs from the fixtures and hung them on a clothesline, she took "draw the drapes when the sun comes in" to mean she should sketch a picture of them, etc. The linked picture is not part of the original work (although it does a superb job of mimicing the art and prose style), but a comedic exaggeration.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #126958 on: September 24, 2017, 03:45:55 pm »

Magna Ge are not something you read. In elder scrolls, they're entities who created the stars by ripping holes in space time.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126959 on: September 24, 2017, 03:53:48 pm »

Ever had that feeling when you wanted to play vidya gaems, yet the only thing you've done this day is browsing Reddit, TVTropes and Youtube? Because that's what all I did today...
I feel that.  It shouldn't be possible to procrastinate things that are fun.

For me its like, I can stop watching 5 minute youtube clips whenever I want.  Whereas if I sit down and play a video game, I'm going to want to put in a couple hours to really enjoy it.  Of course both those things take potentially infinite amounts of time, and I know that.  I don't seem to quite feel it tho.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 8462 8463 [8464] 8465 8466 ... 11037