Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8453 8454 [8455] 8456 8457 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520441 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126810 on: September 19, 2017, 05:03:49 pm »

I don't think anybody said anyone died?

I rushed to clarify that before you read some wild misguided allegations from wherever it is you get your news on Russia. Cause there will be those.

Nah, pretty much all the early reports and echoes thereof were clear that nobody died. I probably should have clarified that as well.

That aside, this was part of a highly (and deliberately) propagandized series of war games. They want journos to be there - just the day before another component of it had Putin, 100+ journalists, and a number of foreign observers present. From what I've been able to dig up it looks like the people there weren't properly briefed on where the targets were. But given that they wanted people to be present to watch them flex their military muscles and that the location they were at was a cleared lot with multiple civilian vehicles parked there, I'm not really buying any sort of "they were random assholes who wandered into a closed firing range" line.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126811 on: September 19, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »

That video has educational value, in that it shows just exactly how fast helicopter missiles come at you. Forget dodging, just make sure you run for cover at the first distant sound of a helicopter.
What kind of maniac would you have to be to think you can dodge any kind of missile on foot in the first place?
I know, it's so much more effective to use your sword to cut open the detonator without exploding the missile.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #126812 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:22 pm »

That video has educational value, in that it shows just exactly how fast helicopter missiles come at you. Forget dodging, just make sure you run for cover at the first distant sound of a helicopter.
What kind of maniac would you have to be to think you can dodge any kind of missile on foot in the first place?
I know, it's so much more effective to use your sword to cut open the detonator without exploding the missile.
Exactly. This is why I like you people, you get me.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126813 on: September 19, 2017, 05:51:14 pm »

Black lives matter.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126814 on: September 19, 2017, 06:36:34 pm »

This, so much. Missiles are designed to kill vehicles generally. Vehicles are generally designed to be MUCH FASTER than humans. You are NOT outrunning any sort of missile on foot, barring outrageously insane good luck.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #126815 on: September 19, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »

Anti-vehicle weaponry? More like kill-that-dodging-bitch-weaponry from my Battlefield experiences.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126816 on: September 19, 2017, 07:14:34 pm »

I was speaking generally. LOOOOTS of missiles are designed as 'killing people on foot' weapons, but it doesn't change the fact that human max speed is what? 15 mph? And missiles' max speed is 'Hahahahahahahahaha, fuck your fifteen mph, asshole, eat metal and fire and die.'
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126817 on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:27 pm »

I was speaking generally. LOOOOTS of missiles are designed as 'killing people on foot' weapons, but it doesn't change the fact that human max speed is what? 15 mph? And missiles' max speed is 'Hahahahahahahahaha, fuck your fifteen mph, asshole, eat metal and fire and die.'

I am aware of exactly one intentionally antipersonnel missile system, that being the Spike. How many is "LOOOOTS"?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #126818 on: September 19, 2017, 07:28:32 pm »

How many Spikes did they manufacture?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #126819 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:50 pm »

Well yeah, I'd imagine people IRL aren't as good at dodging bullets.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126820 on: September 19, 2017, 08:56:47 pm »

Okay so there's three things here:

Unguided rockets, AKA rockets: are generally used on people and buildings.  Not practical against vehicles since in most cases a guided projectile or a cannon would do better.
Rockets guided into a specific target, AKA missiles: Generally used on vehicles, since why use an expensive guidance system on a person or a stationary structure?  The exception is the US with its widespread use of hellfire missiles and "precision bombing".  Because of course.
Rockets firing from two countries over, AKA missiles: Generally designed to take out buildings or nuke cities.  No point calling one into a battle since the situation will have changed by the time it arrives.

So yeah.  In layman's terms, most missiles are fired by artillery or aircraft, towards ground forces.  But *technically* those would be called rockets.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #126821 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:44 pm »

This, so much. Missiles are designed to kill vehicles generally. Vehicles are generally designed to be MUCH FASTER than humans. You are NOT outrunning any sort of missile on foot, barring outrageously insane good luck.
That isn't entirely true. The earliest generation of "guided" missiles had to fly slow enough that the operator could steer them, and thus were fairly dodgeable. Such weapons are wholly obsolete in most armies, but still show up from time to time in backwater conflicts.

You're correct regarding any modern missile system, of course.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #126822 on: September 20, 2017, 02:07:36 am »

I started to sweat heavily when I'm sleeping since the previous week. My underwear was incredibly wet when I woke up.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126823 on: September 20, 2017, 02:31:29 am »

Careful. That might just end up in the out of context thread there.

As for me..  Damn HIPPA, this must be spoken! One resident has been having some kind of absurd bladder spasm or something, and has demanded to pee EVERY 15 FREAKING MINUTES for past hour and a half. Of course, she's some kind of 100% transfer with contractures, and it is DESTROYING MY BACK. Does she *ACTUALLY* need to pee?? OH HELL NO. Maybe 5mL each attempt at voiding. Is it doing actual, honest to goodness damage to my back transferring this selfish old hag? HELL YES. Does she understand that NO, NO YOU REALLY DONT HAVE TO PEE!? (because there is no conceivable way that your geriatric kidneys could POSSIBLY create a full void worth of urine in 15 minutes, especially when you drink maybe 1 liter of water daily because you are physically inactive!?)  No. Of course not.

*rage

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #126824 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:46 am »

That isn't entirely true. The earliest generation of "guided" missiles had to fly slow enough that the operator could steer them, and thus were fairly dodgeable. Such weapons are wholly obsolete in most armies, but still show up from time to time in backwater conflicts.

You're correct regarding any modern missile system, of course.
I mean if you were literally looking directly at the launch of a TOW missile and you instantly recognized the threat and what you needed to do you could probably get to cover, if not get on target and suppress or knock out the emplacement, before the impact but that's the closest realistic example I can think of.
Pages: 1 ... 8453 8454 [8455] 8456 8457 ... 11037