Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8326 8327 [8328] 8329 8330 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558658 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124905 on: August 01, 2017, 04:34:36 pm »

So I accidentally ventured into the fucked up side of the internet briefly, purely by accident. I didn't mean to but I am oddly disturbed by my complete and total lack of moral outrage or disgust for the things contained their in as I would have expected even though I am totally intellectually opposed to said internet grossness. I have noticed this for awhile through by complete non reaction by things that make mother people discussed like a description of gross things or the things themselves and a lack of lasting outrage really at all. not that I cant feel it, just thinking about what ISIS has done to historical artifacts makes me seethe with hate. I am disturbed by this and wonder if I have some condition or if I'm just logical the extreme. I guess I would make a good stoic, my emotions are rather fleeting. Anyone else feel this way or is something wrong with my brain as I suspect. I should note I am definitely not a psychopath, that's like the exact opposite of me. The internet probably desensitizes people to shit but I seem to be just like this and I definitely do not look at stuff enough or ever deliberately to have done that as i never seek gross shit out. I should probably not delve so deeply down the rabbit hole that is the depths of the internet becasue I know whats there but curiosity gets the better of me sometimes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124906 on: August 01, 2017, 04:55:41 pm »

So I accidentally ventured into the fucked up side of the internet briefly, purely by accident. I didn't mean to but I am oddly disturbed by my complete and total lack of moral outrage or disgust for the things contained their in as I would have expected even though I am totally intellectually opposed to said internet grossness. I have noticed this for awhile through by complete non reaction by things that make mother people discussed like a description of gross things or the things themselves and a lack of lasting outrage really at all. not that I cant feel it, just thinking about what ISIS has done to historical artifacts makes me seethe with hate. I am disturbed by this and wonder if I have some condition or if I'm just logical the extreme. I guess I would make a good stoic, my emotions are rather fleeting. Anyone else feel this way or is something wrong with my brain as I suspect. I should note I am definitely not a psychopath, that's like the exact opposite of me. The internet probably desensitizes people to shit but I seem to be just like this and I definitely do not look at stuff enough or ever deliberately to have done that as i never seek gross shit out. I should probably not delve so deeply down the rabbit hole that is the depths of the internet becasue I know whats there but curiosity gets the better of me sometimes.
Random gore and shock will not inspire moral outrage any more than walking into an abattoir makes you morally outraged. Death is not something foreign to humanity, death, pain, killing and hunting has been with us forever. Couple that with how distance changes perception, how a tragedy on the other side of the world is not felt as keenly as the tragedy on your doorstep, there is little to fear in no reaction felt in witnessing what the internet carries.
There is really nothing special about what is seen via internet versus via the world, besides distance. Likewise do not feel so bad about having curiosity, of course you've heard horror stories of classic internet shock and new shock, of course the human mind is intrigued as to what could be so bad about information that others would caution against witnessing it. Then it is found, and it is entirely what the human mind is already prepared for.
Occasionally something found which the mind is unprepared for, which is why such material is 'shock,' as that is what it inspires. Or something seen reignites an old trauma, unironically triggering you.

In short, you are fine.
Honestly if you go down the rabbit hole the worst thing that's going to happen is you get arrested for looking at something illegal, and your opinion of the innate goodness of man evaporates. The morbid appeal of the forbidden information is overrated, especially since much of it is transmitted and indexed in the open. Hell, there's a whole trove of that crap on youtube and facebook, and they're some of the most publicly accessible shit around. Your brain is ok

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124907 on: August 01, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »

It would take something really out there to shock me. Not so very long ago, it was common for trolls to flood imageboards and forums with the most extreme crap they could find, and early filesharing was worse - at one point finding out that the music video you spent two hours downloading was actually fecal in nature wasn't even worth more of a reaction than the delete key. The internet used to be a wild and risky place, and I grew up there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124908 on: August 01, 2017, 05:10:04 pm »

That's not really what psychopathy is (although that and sociopathy have been rolled into antisocial personality disorder).  As it was described to me by a psych teacher, its basically the opposite of general anxiety disorder.  If you were a "psychopath" you would be, relative to other people: less concerned about the feelings of others and how others feel about you, less worried about the future, less concerned about the consequences of your actions, and more automatically assured of your own self worth regardless of whether your actions measure up.

Of course most of those things are arguably good or neutral; its just about not having them in the extreme.  Let's say that tomorrow you're talking to someone you know who you dislike but they haven't done anything awful.  And they say something annoying and as a result you imagine yourself punching them in the face.  For an anxious person that's an intrusive thought.  For a neurotypical person that might be a fantasy.  But they would most likely be held back by fear of physical retaliation or social consequences, and if they did do it they would feel guilt.  A person with ASPD wouldn't feel the fear or the shame or the guilt, or they would feel much less of it.  Thus they might actually punch the person, that's the problem.  "Psychopaths" have no more inclination to do harm than the rest of us, they just have a hell of a lot less holding them back.

So basically, there's nothing about being desensitized to the internet that makes you mentally unhealthy.  Its not automatically a good thing but you aren't mentally ill.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #124909 on: August 02, 2017, 01:09:13 am »

Hmm, alright, next question: how much caffeine have you consumed in the past 28 hours?
Also don't answer that question, just go to bed.

I had drunk two cups of coffee (black, brewed with 1:12 ratio of coffee:water) that morning, which is two more than I usually drink.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124910 on: August 02, 2017, 09:26:43 am »

Ah, good ol' cutscene disconnect. Yes, yes, talk about the nonexistence of ghosts and such. This makes perfect sense. Please ignore the straight up undead behind your roster curtain.

Bruv, one of your minions is a skeleton walking around in armor. I think we're beyond the point of questioning whether these sorts of entities are actually out there. 'Cause he's right there. Not actually waving on camera, but I can only imagine he's off screen holding up a sign about discrimination against eastern undead or somethin'.

... game's aedis eclipse, since it's a jackass move to mention something and not say what it's from. The game is... playable. Not good, but playable. The writing is b-movie tier (one cutscene an ally/enemy babbles about love in his dying moments and then literally explodes, ferex. It's pretty great.), which is most of the reason I'm still going.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #124911 on: August 02, 2017, 09:36:24 am »

Reminds me of
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #124912 on: August 02, 2017, 11:08:00 am »

The new YouTube layout looks like it has been designed for kindergarten.
What new layout?

I also have not noted any significant change.
It's known that YouTube shows different layouts to different users, especially ones that aren't registered. (try opening it in private browsing/incognito mode and you'll see)

I've heard, but haven't confirmed, that there is a way to opt out of the updates.

I've had the same layout for a long while; guess I'm not representative enough to be used as a lab rat, or maybe it has decided that I like it enough not to change it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #124913 on: August 02, 2017, 12:28:09 pm »

Reminds me of
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124914 on: August 02, 2017, 01:17:33 pm »

Reminds me of
Spoiler: also spoilers (click to show/hide)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #124915 on: August 02, 2017, 01:25:43 pm »

Reminds me of

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124916 on: August 02, 2017, 01:32:52 pm »

Reminds me of
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124917 on: August 02, 2017, 01:49:31 pm »

Reminds me of
Spoiler: while we are on topic (click to show/hide)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #124918 on: August 02, 2017, 01:58:45 pm »

edited to cut down pyramid size
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:09:17 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124919 on: August 02, 2017, 02:08:01 pm »

Reminds me of
Spoiler: MEGA SPOILER (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8326 8327 [8328] 8329 8330 ... 11040