Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8322 8323 [8324] 8325 8326 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14557640 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124845 on: July 30, 2017, 05:44:41 pm »

@A-M: In my experience bacteria that are left alone in a Petri dish just stop multiplying when they run low on nutrients (and then die when none are forthcoming and they run out entirely), so saying that any kind of selection pressure is at play there seems to me like saying that a flash flood selects for people with gills. Extinction isn't really selection on its own, is it?

Us not being that free of natural selection does manifest in other specific ways though like sickle cell anemia carriers' malaria resistance, highly fatal recessive alleles and any number of other things. Nevertheless we stand notably apart from even other culturally and technologically capable life such as bees, termites, spiders, birds and such simply because of how many of the unpredictable elements the wild contains we've been able to successfully exclude from our own lives. While isolated strains of archaea are likely to outlive us as a species we shouldn't minimize the achievement that is being able to match the adaptability of some pretty good viruses despite being vastly more complex in our construction. All mastery is relative.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:47:38 pm by Harry Baldman »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124846 on: July 30, 2017, 11:23:46 pm »

Humanity, the masters of all four elements,
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124847 on: July 30, 2017, 11:34:29 pm »

Glad I didn't go to my cousin's wedding for the weekend. The wedding itself was fine, but my mom's 'boyfriend' needs to get the fuck out of our lives. My nan called me near tears, explaining all his bullshit.

He harassed her the whole car ride up, and the ride back. Refused to let my mom near anyone, even family, the entire time. Screamed at everyone constantly, even in public. Angrily ranted about black people. Again, in public. My cousin is marrying a black man. Demanded my nan leave the province. Demanded that all my family stop contact with my mom, since she's his. This includes me cutting contact, as well.

The jealous, mentally ill piece of shit. Constantly thinks my mom's cheating on him, constantly threatening her and demanding to know where she is pretty much all the time.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124848 on: July 30, 2017, 11:44:43 pm »

Eh, I'm getting a feeling of Deja Vu for asking this, but why is your mom still with him?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #124849 on: July 30, 2017, 11:48:29 pm »

That seems like one of those "Call the police to report domestic abuse" scenarios, TBH.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124850 on: July 31, 2017, 12:02:10 am »

Eh, I'm getting a feeling of Deja Vu for asking this, but why is your mom still with him?

Fuck if I know. She's unhappy where we live now, I guess. Not that he'd let her move back in with him.

That seems like one of those "Call the police to report domestic abuse" scenarios, TBH.

He hasn't done anything illegal, as far as I know.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124851 on: July 31, 2017, 12:05:39 am »

Wait, so he's super possessive and wants to know where she is at all times, but they don't actually live together? o_O

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124852 on: July 31, 2017, 12:29:13 am »

Yea

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124853 on: July 31, 2017, 12:31:31 am »

Seriously that guy gives out sooo many red flags he is the kind of guy that if your mother ever broke up with him... that she shouldn't stay inside her own house for a few days because he might look there and murder her.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124854 on: July 31, 2017, 04:20:48 am »

He might not yet have done sometinhg illegal, but his behaviour is red flagging he will. Can't hurt to report his behaviour to the police pre-emptively.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124855 on: July 31, 2017, 05:12:59 am »

One of these days I want to see a letsplay of Two Souls.

The LAW of Quantic Dream games seems to be that they are 50% good, 50% stupid, cannot do budding romance to save their lives, has a TERRIBLE sex scene, and a ending that stands as one of the worst endings in gaming history.

I want to see how that assessment stands up. Maybe they learned their lesson and Two Souls is actually really really good.  :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124856 on: July 31, 2017, 05:21:22 am »

What, the Nomad Soul wasnt the epitome of that publisher enough for you?  It even featured some very special prosthetics commercials.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124857 on: July 31, 2017, 05:23:31 am »

What, the Nomad Soul wasnt the epitome of that publisher enough for you?  It even featured some very special prosthetics commercials.

Ohh was that the name I confused it for?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124858 on: July 31, 2017, 05:32:41 am »

I dont know, the game is pretty old, and the graphics pretty dated, but it has some delightful content.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124859 on: July 31, 2017, 07:59:21 am »

He hasn't done anything illegal, as far as I know.
Racism is usually illegal.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 8322 8323 [8324] 8325 8326 ... 11039