Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8313 8314 [8315] 8316 8317 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555107 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124710 on: July 27, 2017, 12:54:20 am »

I own four SNES controllers, two official ones and two third-party ones (from the 90s, not modern repros). On both of my first party controllers, the Start and Select buttons are almost unusable, due to them requiring an insane amount of force to register the button press. On the third-party ones, the Start and Select buttons work fine, but the face buttons (particularly the B button) are hit-or-miss as far as function goes.

The truly obnoxious part is that the controllers have no interchangeable parts. If they were all first-party or all the same brand of third-party, I'd have two perfect controllers. As it is, I'm just going to have to trash them and buy two good controllers (either original first-party or modern repros). This is annoying.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124711 on: July 27, 2017, 01:01:26 am »

If you dont mind the potential dangers involved, the problem is likely "gunk" underneath the conductive rubber pad that is below the buttons. If you disassemble the controller, you will find a brown PCB that lifts away, revealing the black rubber pad. Gently remove the pad without losing the buttons, wash it gently under lukewarm tap water, dry it completely with a soft towel, then reinsert it into the controller, replace the PCB, and reassemble.  It should work great after that.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #124712 on: July 27, 2017, 02:34:20 am »

tryin'a fix that with a sudo chown, except that i'm not permitted to modify these files as ROOT so that root does not own these files. I am literally GOD in this machine and this little warty nugget of a directory decides it does not want to respect mah authoritah but wants to pretend it belongs to GOD anyway.
Can god create a directory so heavy, even he can't wipe ownership from it?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124713 on: July 27, 2017, 03:21:35 am »

If you dont mind the potential dangers involved, the problem is likely "gunk" underneath the conductive rubber pad that is below the buttons. If you disassemble the controller, you will find a brown PCB that lifts away, revealing the black rubber pad. Gently remove the pad without losing the buttons, wash it gently under lukewarm tap water, dry it completely with a soft towel, then reinsert it into the controller, replace the PCB, and reassemble.  It should work great after that.
Just as a heads up preemptive warning. I have taken apart snes controllers before and they are simple and straightforward for a novice.  But for the love of god think very VERY hard before taking apart any controller even remotely modern.  I had a sticky Square button on a PS2 controller once.  After having fixed multiple buttons on older snes gamepads I figured it was easy.

The moment I took the case off the ps2 controller it fell into about 2 dozen tiny parts that fell apart before I could even see where they went.  Literally just held together by the casing.  I went from a functional but finicky controller to a pile of mystery plastic bits.  Game console manufacturers just want you to buy new ones, not fix them anymore.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124714 on: July 27, 2017, 03:26:54 am »

Reminds me of the time I tried to fix a laptop on my own.

Tip: Don't.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124715 on: July 27, 2017, 03:51:50 am »

...  I repair laptops all the time...

Granted, they are little horrors that have extra short little flat cables that are not designed to be reassembled by human hands, have bullshit hinges that break if you loosen the screws even a little teeny bit, and are just designed terribly inside from a repair standpoint--- but if you already expect all that crap, have the right tools, and are delicate with your hands, you can work on them just fine.

Having seen the kind of "absurd" that is inside a PSX controller first hand though... YEAH. DONT OPEN.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124716 on: July 27, 2017, 04:15:15 am »

Tried that. Didn't seem to make much of a difference, so I suspect that there's something wrong with the rubber. I might try again, since a friend of mine has a SNES controller with a broken shoulder button (as in the actual plastic), so I want to salvage mine before I toss it to make that one good.

I've fixed many PS1/2 controllers. They aren't too hard to put back together.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124717 on: July 27, 2017, 04:26:38 am »

...  I repair laptops all the time...

Granted, they are little horrors that have extra short little flat cables that are not designed to be reassembled by human hands, have bullshit hinges that break if you loosen the screws even a little teeny bit, and are just designed terribly inside from a repair standpoint--- but if you already expect all that crap, have the right tools, and are delicate with your hands, you can work on them just fine.

Having seen the kind of "absurd" that is inside a PSX controller first hand though... YEAH. DONT OPEN.
Haha, well I tried to fix it the same day that it broke because I had no backup.  So I was not prepared.

I still wouldn't do it again.  I expected it to be separate components like a desktop, instead the whole thing was a mess of interconnected parts.  Don't remember the specific problem but it was like the outer case had 3 pieces and then the keyboard split the innards in half and everything was connected to both the case and the keyboard so you had to take it apart in a specific order.  Tried to look it up and got a video of someone taking apart a computer that looked the same on the outside.  Was completely different on the inside, had the keyboard on top of everything and thus easy to remove.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124718 on: July 27, 2017, 04:40:29 am »

I am starting to hate the popularity of certain characters quite a bit now.

Not in a "I hate that people like them!" but in the sense of "Welp... Looks like we have another expy"

I am trying to think of when this ever turned out well... I mean SOME of the alike characters have been saved but usually over time long after the original "QUICK! we need our own!".

Honestly the one that is annoying me the most at the moment is Dang Pinkiepie from MLP (who is often combined with Rainbowdash for... some reason O_o). So you have a character who is meant to be incredibly annoying and you spread them to other stories and sometimes make them the secondary main character, in a series not meant to be as zany and colorful as MLP...

DANG IT!!!

Thankfully MLP's popularity is down so they aren't making anymore.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:10:47 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124719 on: July 27, 2017, 05:13:02 am »

Careful, the MLP bronies will call you a hater and worse, talking like that. :P  (the notion that you should keep MLP separate from other genres never seems to dawn on them though, I agree.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124720 on: July 27, 2017, 05:46:13 am »

Do you really want to try watching vintage VHS tapes?  Sure, DVD cases can often be convinced to live inside VHS drawers, but it is an imperfect fit. Also, furniture on the corner has a bad habit of being the home of... "critters".
DVDs? Whuh? Are you telling me people still use those things in this day and age?!
No, these cases will make a perfect home for a VHS collection or two! I'll probably trade or sell them to a friend, since my tape collection is mostly of the audio variety and my Vaporwave pals would no doubt appreciate such items a great deal more than I.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124721 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:31 am »

I can't imagine the company *not* compensating you for that, or I'd suggest you find another company, because that is completely out of your hands. How would you know or fix it? It's not like you can just dump half the load somewhere, it's your (and the company's) job to transport it.

Might have been the way the load was distributed?

What was the load? if you can divulge it.
Definitely the distribution. The middle axle (the front of the cargo, in other words) was nearly 10k lbs below the limit, so the whole thing was definitely back-heavy.

The cargo was bales of used carpet. Why anyone would want to transport used carpet across the country, I have no flipping clue.

Good news is, it sounds like my company will be paying the ticket. I'll be keeping an eye on my pay stubs to make sure they don't try to garnish anything on the sly, but in all likelihood I'm financially clear in this case.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124722 on: July 27, 2017, 09:41:58 am »

Reminds me of the time I tried to fix a laptop on my own.

Tip: Don't.

Well, if you have a warranty, yeah, trying to fix it isn't something that the manufacturer wants you to do by yourself, unless you're certified or something.

But yeah, if you don't know what you're doing, it wouldn't be a great idea.

I can't imagine the company *not* compensating you for that, or I'd suggest you find another company, because that is completely out of your hands. How would you know or fix it? It's not like you can just dump half the load somewhere, it's your (and the company's) job to transport it.

Might have been the way the load was distributed?

What was the load? if you can divulge it.
Definitely the distribution. The middle axle (the front of the cargo, in other words) was nearly 10k lbs below the limit, so the whole thing was definitely back-heavy.

The cargo was bales of used carpet. Why anyone would want to transport used carpet across the country, I have no flipping clue.

Good news is, it sounds like my company will be paying the ticket. I'll be keeping an eye on my pay stubs to make sure they don't try to garnish anything on the sly, but in all likelihood I'm financially clear in this case.

Excellent for ya. As for the bales of carpet, recycling and reusing of some form or another for sure.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:44:54 am by smjjames »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124723 on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:29 am »

As a general rule, if you want to repair electronics by yourself, don't.

But as for my WTF, I found this title: 'Tougher' Russia sanctions may be ahead
But the bit below the title of the article was: trump could veto the penalties on Russia, White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci said.

Am I missing something here, or are those two things the exact opposite?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124724 on: July 27, 2017, 10:33:14 am »

As a general rule, if you want to repair electronics by yourself, don't.

But as for my WTF, I found this title: 'Tougher' Russia sanctions may be ahead
But the bit below the title of the article was: trump could veto the penalties on Russia, White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci said.

Am I missing something here, or are those two things the exact opposite?

Trump hasn't definitely said whether he absolutely will sign it or veto it. The good thing though is that if he does veto it, there is an overwhelming majority that voted for the thing, which will override the veto. The bad thing is that, well, it makes Trump look like a Putin stooge, though dilluted somewhat by the Iran and NK sanctions in there.
Pages: 1 ... 8313 8314 [8315] 8316 8317 ... 11039