Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8290 8291 [8292] 8293 8294 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547909 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124365 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:10 pm »

First of all, your response title made me WTF neo.

Second, good for you. Too many people these days refuse to do what you describe there, usually to their own detriment.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124366 on: July 17, 2017, 12:39:13 pm »

First of all, your response title made me WTF neo.

I actually accidentally deleted the title and you can't post without one. So I just slammed random letters.

Also thank you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124367 on: July 17, 2017, 04:20:36 pm »

Train Simulator is somewhat infamous for the sheer amount of expensive DLC it has on offer. Well, I think I just found a contender for the "holy shit who has this much money to spend" awards.

Fantasy Grounds! Basically an online tabletop, it has dozens and dozens of core rulebooks, bestiaries, expansions, token packs, and campaigns for several different RPG systems on sale. Total cost of all DLC: a whopping $5,962 USD. And that's with some items on sale. And it doesn't include the price of the base software at $39.99 (or the "Unlimited license" which runs in at $135).

Six flippin grand for something that I'm pretty sure has plenty of cheaper alternatives. How the fuck.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124368 on: July 17, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »

Fantasy Grouds is NOT a game where you would even remotely want or be tempted to buy all the DLC.

Fantasy Grounds is essentially a table top simulator so you can run dungeons and dragons and other games on it. Each DLC being a different ruleset and a lot of these do a decent job at including things in it.

MIND YOU... I still find Roll20 to be the far superior choice if you want to do anything but constantly running adventure paths and pre-created campaigns...

Roll20 is also much much cheaper.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #124369 on: July 17, 2017, 04:42:58 pm »

And here I thought Payday 2's DLC policy was a bit much...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124370 on: July 17, 2017, 04:51:09 pm »

And here I thought Payday 2's DLC policy was a bit much...

Recently they are lumping it with a "If you buy the ultimate edition you get all future DLC" (which in realism speak means: We aren't going to release much more DLC)

So it isn't THAT bad anymore...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124371 on: July 17, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »

Train Simulator is somewhat infamous for the sheer amount of expensive DLC it has on offer. Well, I think I just found a contender for the "holy shit who has this much money to spend" awards.

Fantasy Grounds! Basically an online tabletop, it has dozens and dozens of core rulebooks, bestiaries, expansions, token packs, and campaigns for several different RPG systems on sale. Total cost of all DLC: a whopping $5,962 USD. And that's with some items on sale. And it doesn't include the price of the base software at $39.99 (or the "Unlimited license" which runs in at $135).

Six flippin grand for something that I'm pretty sure has plenty of cheaper alternatives. How the fuck.

That's all officially liscenced material. The owners of all those rulebooks charge a good deal of money for it to be available, because they don't want people "cheating" them by getting it cheap throe FG instead of buying the books themselves, and the price seems to be based on that of the physical books. A new copy of the Pathfinder core rulebook costs $49.99, while the DLC to run it in FG (which isn't completely necessary (Maptool and Roll20 don't even have the option of an official framework, after all) but very nice) costs ...$49.99.

There is also the fact that only one person needs to buy it - the GM. At least, as long as the GM bought the ultimate edition or maintains an Ultimate Subscription, otherwise everybody needs to buy the Standard edition (or subscription).

This isn't a game where you will ever click "add all DLC to cart" - you will only ever buy the modules for what you intend to play, and your players won't even need to do that.

It is rather expensive, which is a shame because it is vastly superior to Roll20 or Maptool.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124372 on: July 17, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »

It is rather expensive, which is a shame because it is vastly superior to Roll20 or Maptool

... Not really...

It is prettier and more handy for running actual games. But in terms of making your own things Roll20 and Maptool have it dead to rights.

Not to mention that Fantasy Grounds can be considered overpriced.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124373 on: July 17, 2017, 05:57:31 pm »

It is rather expensive, which is a shame because it is vastly superior to Roll20 or Maptool

... Not really...

It is prettier and more handy for running actual games. But in terms of making your own things Roll20 and Maptool have it dead to rights.

Not to mention that Fantasy Grounds can be considered overpriced.

As someone who does not know anything about either of these, this seems to shoot your argument in the foot. But I am curious about these newfangled digimiwhatsit versions of tabletop. As an experienced DM in 3.0/3.5 DnD, I wonder how does roll20 help in making one's own things over, say, a notebook and pencil?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124374 on: July 17, 2017, 06:01:04 pm »

I would imagine it helps with international DMing. For more traditional go round a friends house games Pen and Paper is usually better and doesn't suffer from blackouts killing the network connection.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124375 on: July 17, 2017, 06:13:44 pm »

Trawling through the Yu-gi-oh banlist for some reason(specifically, the TvTropes page Gamebreakers/Yugioh, not even halfway through before I had to stop). Though I have had little regard for the game all this time, pretty much every card I've owned for the past 15+ years is on it, including the useless ones. While some cards should never have existed, period, just about every card with a useful effect, even ones balanced by some negative effect. It's like some of the people who've played this game go flipshit nuclear if a newly introduced card slightly ruffles the edges of their comfort zone.
Then again, my ex-girlfriend played it, so it could very well be a case of special snowflakes who go flipshit nuclear at the ruffling of their comfort zones.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124376 on: July 17, 2017, 06:19:02 pm »

Too be fair, I don't think going though a tv tropes page on "game breakers" is likely to have accurate information on what's actually broken in a game... More likely it's going to be a list of any card in it that could potentially be useful in some way.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124377 on: July 17, 2017, 06:22:11 pm »

I think this is the actual list.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124378 on: July 17, 2017, 06:25:52 pm »

The ban lists are HIGHLY fueled by two things
1) Selling you new cards
2) Forcing you to use new cards

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124379 on: July 17, 2017, 06:32:15 pm »

The ban lists are HIGHLY fueled by two things
1) Selling you new cards
2) Forcing you to use new cards
The Magic: the Gathering banlist seems to operate on an opposite system: it is rare for a card to be banned because it'll tank the price of that individual card. And a lot of money is made selling old, strong cards.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 8290 8291 [8292] 8293 8294 ... 11038