Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8280 8281 [8282] 8283 8284 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14545088 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124215 on: July 12, 2017, 09:22:23 pm »

So there's a guy who really wants to be my friend but I don't know him, I don't really have times for friends, and also met him on a certain gay-oriented "dating" app (he lived in my building and I'd seen him before though, we were already Facebook friends prior). I was going to hang-out with him but then changed my mind after talking to a friend and finding out some things and also generally going through personal changes. This began like a year ago now and he has not given up no matter what I do. At one point I flaked out on multiple plans for multiple months (I had the maturity of a 12 year old, forgive me), I have tried directly telling him "Sorry, but I was being flaky cause I don't want to hook up with you" to which the response was that that's fine he still wants to hang out. I dated someone for a while and then he texted me again right after my breakup and I sent back a response saying so and that I wasn't in the mood to talk. I've ignored so many messages and when I do respond I take a few days because I literally don't know what else to do. Finally I've agreed to hang out with him so tomorrow afternoon I feel is going to be pretty meh.

I don't mean to be a jerk but like I'm not interested and artificial friendships never seem to go well. But I guess persistence works sometimes?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124216 on: July 12, 2017, 09:29:14 pm »

But I guess persistence works sometimes?
so does blocking
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124217 on: July 12, 2017, 09:34:49 pm »

Say no. That's it. You don't want to hang out with him, make it explicitly clear. Us guys can be especially boneheaded sometimes.

If being direct doesn't work, then block his dumb ass.
Black lives matter.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124218 on: July 12, 2017, 09:35:43 pm »

As someone who's pursed women in a way that's somewhat similar (though less extreme) to that man, the best thing you can do is to tell him to that you don't have the most remote interest in him, and that you don't even want to be friends. It sounds cruel, but he likely already knows that's how you feel, but he just wants you to say it directly.

As far as persistence working, I will admit that if you are persistent, you will tend to get farther than if you just immediately gave up. It's not really worth it though. It will never be what you truly want and though you can learn to settle, it will hold you back from finding more fulfilling relationships.

So here's what I say: hang out with him so you can at least get to know him a little, and if he doesn't sweep you off your feet, tell him that you aren't really interested in continuing the relationship. It sounds harsh, but a direct approach is the only way you can help these people.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124219 on: July 12, 2017, 09:39:44 pm »

Honestly if you want to find friends, there are better ways to do it than pushy people on dating sites.  I'd block him or say a really explicit no.  Although to be honest is sounds like you already said no.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124220 on: July 12, 2017, 09:41:28 pm »

As someone who's pursed women in a way that's somewhat similar (though less extreme) to that man, the best thing you can do is to tell him to that you don't have the most remote interest in him, and that you don't even want to be friends. It sounds cruel, but he likely already knows that's how you feel, but he just wants you to say it directly.

As far as persistence working, I will admit that if you are persistent, you will tend to get farther than if you just immediately gave up. It's not really worth it though. It will never be what you truly want and though you can learn to settle, it will hold you back from finding more fulfilling relationships.

So here's what I say: hang out with him so you can at least get to know him a little, and if he doesn't sweep you off your feet, tell him that you aren't really interested in continuing the relationship. It sounds harsh, but a direct approach is the only way you can help these people.

Thanks for the advice all, kind of knew that's what I should really do but helps to hear it from someone else. But yeah, I'll grab some drinks tomorrow but if there's any moves I'm just gonna flat out say I'm not interested cause games suck.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #124221 on: July 12, 2017, 11:39:13 pm »

A massed point particle is technically an object, literally speaking. It is just a very fuzzy object.

i know the conversation ended here but

1. photons are not massed

2. there's no goddamn communication with entanglement ya dumb journalists

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124222 on: July 13, 2017, 12:16:58 am »

They do have relativistic mass.
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/photon_mass.html
Photons are traditionally said to be massless.  This is a figure of speech that physicists use to describe something about how a photon's particle-like properties are described by the language of special relativity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #124223 on: July 13, 2017, 02:45:35 am »

No, they have energy. Relativistic mass is a pretty damn confusing way to represent momentum. You wouldn't say that the mass of the electron (~511 KeV/c^2) is variable just as you wouldn't say the mass of the photon (~0 in whatever units you want) is variable.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124224 on: July 13, 2017, 02:47:07 am »

Photons are what they used in the experiment, but massed particles (iike electrons) have also been used in entanglement experiments. With some tweaking, a similar experiment to this one could be performed with a massed point particle.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #124225 on: July 13, 2017, 04:45:46 am »

-snip-
wierd? Why is your avatar, and Truean, and others, all...displaying the same error? Is it photobucket? ._.
Because I somehow can see mine despite it being hosted there?

I miss the snake, and kitty, and other nice artforms of people. .-.;

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124226 on: July 13, 2017, 04:51:13 am »

-snip-
wierd? Why is your avatar, and Truean, and others, all...displaying the same error? Is it photobucket? ._.
Because I somehow can see mine despite it being hosted there?

I miss the snake, and kitty, and other nice artforms of people. .-.;
As I recall Martinuzz(?) was first affected and weird's avatar wasn't, It is Photobucket's greedy moneygrabbing that's the cause though. Not entirely sure why there is this delay though between different people being affected but it probably will affect you in the near future if they don't repeal this madness that will destroy their site.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124227 on: July 13, 2017, 09:41:36 am »

They are just being greedy a-holes. I rather enjoy costing them the same amount of money per page view regardless (It costs the same amount of bandwidth to serve that nag image as it does my actual avatar), so I think I will just leave it as-is for now.  I have the snake backed up, so I wont lose it. I can put it back up after Photobucket takes their head out of their ass, or they lose all their custom. Whichever happens first. In the meantime, I will do my part to assure that their servers still get pinged for image requests, without capitulating to their demands that I switch to paid servicing. :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124228 on: July 13, 2017, 11:06:00 am »

No, they have energy. Relativistic mass is a pretty damn confusing way to represent momentum. You wouldn't say that the mass of the electron (~511 KeV/c^2) is variable just as you wouldn't say the mass of the photon (~0 in whatever units you want) is variable.
So yes, they do have relativistic mass, and you disagree with the use of that term.  According to your link, about 60% of modern authors avoid using it.  Maybe it's getting phased out, maybe it isn't - it's controversial.  There's no scientific consensus, so it's not fair to get on anyone's back about using it.

It seems to be a semantic argument.  Mass is a word we define, and "relativistic mass" equations match observed reality.  Even with photons.  It works in terms people understand - things with momentum have mass.    Momentum is velocity times (relativistic) mass.

Or, we can describe the same thing using rest mass, instead of calculating the relativistic mass separately: 

(Sorry Darkling, click to view)

Note that the second equation doesn't actually help with photons, since they (probably, unobservably) have 0 rest mass.  0/0. 

I just don't see the need to vehemently insist that photons never have any mass, when "relativistic mass" accurately and conveniently describes how we observe them behave.  It's semantic.
Quantum mechanics introduces the idea that light can be viewed as a collection of "particles": photons.  Even though these photons cannot be brought to rest, and so the idea of rest mass doesn't really apply to them, we can certainly bring these "particles" of light into the fold of equation (1) by just considering them to have no rest mass.  That way, equation (1) gives the correct expression for light, E = pc, and no harm has been done.  Equation (1) is now able to be applied to particles of matter and "particles" of light.  It can now be used as a fully general equation, and that makes it very useful.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124229 on: July 13, 2017, 12:33:57 pm »

[offtopic]  I have nothing really against older people.  If all goes well I'll become one before I die, but I helped an older woman with her groceries who couldn't figure out that she already paid for her stuff.  I had to walk her step by step through paying with her debit card(and even then it took 3 tries because she kept hitting no on amount ok) and then after she paid she put her stuff back up on the belt again on top of the next person in line's stuff.

To get her out of the store I offered to help her carry her stuff out, ringing her up took so long the manager had already opened up the other register and mostly cleared out the line.  I'm expecting her to have someone waiting for her in a car outside, but nope, she's driving.  She seems completely oblivious to the world around her and she's driving.  WTF? (Yet I forget to inform my old insurance company when I change providers and I get my license suspended for 'not having insurance' without being informed, and I'm a felon. Double WTF.)[/offtopic]

[ontopic] *hisss* Maths! [/ontopic]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:42:24 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 8280 8281 [8282] 8283 8284 ... 11037