Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8277 8278 [8279] 8280 8281 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544241 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124170 on: July 10, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »

You ever think that people's idea of beauty is too... constrained?

Watching a lot of "Prettied up" versions of evil fictional characters and the thing I tended to notice is... They all pretty much looked the same as one another and typically removed their features for more traditionally beautiful ones to the point where they weren't even like the original. So much so that if you removed their makeup and slapped a wig on them they would be perfectly interchangeable.

Bonus points is I stumbled upon a compilation and it basically called ALL these characters ugly. Sure some were, for example Izma from Emporer's new grove (who suffers from skull face), but others include the Shadowman from The Princess and the Frog.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124171 on: July 10, 2017, 06:21:51 pm »

You ever think that people's idea of beauty is too... constrained?

Watching a lot of "Prettied up" versions of evil fictional characters and the thing I tended to notice is... They all pretty much looked the same as one another and typically removed their features for more traditionally beautiful ones to the point where they weren't even like the original. So much so that if you removed their makeup and slapped a wig on them they would be perfectly interchangeable.

Bonus points is I stumbled upon a compilation and it basically called ALL these characters ugly. Sure some were, for example Izma from Emporer's new grove (who suffers from skull face), but others include the Shadowman from The Princess and the Frog.

Link to examples? I am interest.

Also Izma was well-established as scary beyond all reason.  8)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124172 on: July 10, 2017, 07:00:35 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnUGB7YU3cg

Well this is the one that called them ugly and was the inspiration to finally make a post on it.

What kept me from making a post is there is someone who actually is pretty decent at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQZW7yXY6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDPMkUY63G4

Mind you then again her job was just to make them good guys, not to make them sexy. THEN AGAIN!!! they look a lot more distinctive than some art I've seen... and frankly if her job was just to make them pretty then good job!

Don't get me wrong, not perfect and some of the problems I had earlier are obviously still seen in her artwork (what a coincidence a lot of the good characters don't have the same chin :P)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:07:03 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124173 on: July 10, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnUGB7YU3cg

Well this is the one that called them ugly and was the inspiration to finally make a post on it.

What kept me from making a post is there is someone who actually is pretty decent at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQZW7yXY6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDPMkUY63G4

Mind you then again her job was just to make them good guys, not to make them sexy. THEN AGAIN!!! they look a lot more distinctive than some art I've seen... and frankly if her job was just to make them pretty then good job!

Don't get me wrong, not perfect.

The Dr. Fasclier one just looks like they made him more 'white looking' rather than 'beautiful' IMO as he looked just fine. I'm also noticing, so far, that, the redrawings often look anime-ish. Maybe it's just that they look so different from the Disney style.

The second video is more in keeping with the Disney style.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124174 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:48 pm »

i use wikipedia to write papers, sue me
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124175 on: July 10, 2017, 08:53:22 pm »

i use wikipedia to write papers, sue me
everyone uses Wikipedia. they just look for something else to support what Wikipedia explained instead of citing Wikipedia.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124176 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:31 pm »

It helps that Wikipedia is often a more trustworthy source than... an Encyclapedia or a book at the library.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #124177 on: July 10, 2017, 09:42:01 pm »

Well, it helps that Wikipedia links to other sources that you can cite without looking like a lazy bastard that uses Wikipedia for sources.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124178 on: July 10, 2017, 10:22:16 pm »

HOLY COW!

A piece of fiction that has a corrupt church where the hypocrisy of the church isn't a sign that religion itself is bad!?!

Like it actually keeps the idea of "God is good" and thus because the priest is EVIL... he loses access to divine protection AND it is stated that God himself is disappointed.

O_O

Usually fiction can't balance a corrupt Church without somehow making the religion itself the villain (and maybe a nature god somewhere being the good one) O_O... To admit though ALL priests in it so far are evil and everyone who isn't religious is good... (Which I find odd given the source material where they weaponized Christianity)

Bonus points go to Star Gate SG1! Where there really WAS a corrupt fake Church, but what is interesting about it is how "legitimate" it was at some point but how, in order to justify its current crusade, the High Priests actually bastardized the teachings, even rewriting them if needed. With one of the good guys being a member of that Church who is good and true but who is noticing that they are corrupting the word.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124179 on: July 10, 2017, 10:43:40 pm »

Today I learned "autocthon" (like the monument in Stellaris) can mean "An original or indigenous inhabitant of a place; an aborigine".  Stellaris apparently uses it to mean the first colonists.
The Greek etymology seems to be self-soil...  I guess that makes sense.
Nah, the Stellaris monument is about origins. "This where we came from, boiz!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #124180 on: July 11, 2017, 12:32:30 am »

Really reliable coworker didnt show up and didnt call in today. Very concerned
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124181 on: July 11, 2017, 04:37:31 am »

Got maybe 4 hours sleep due to a sinus infection and summer heat.

Also, the original Half-Life got an update.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124182 on: July 11, 2017, 09:47:33 am »

Got maybe 4 hours sleep due to a sinus infection and summer heat.

Ha Li 1.5 confi
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #124183 on: July 11, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »

Like, an official update? From original developers?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #124184 on: July 11, 2017, 01:56:18 pm »

Like, an official update? From original developers?
Yep. It's only a couple of bugfixes, but it's nice to see a 20-year-old game get an update all the same.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 8277 8278 [8279] 8280 8281 ... 11037