Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8261 8262 [8263] 8264 8265 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14529479 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123930 on: July 05, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »

How is the gif incitement to violence though? Its a satyrical meme made from a goddamn WWE event thing in which Trump took part in. A WWE meme.

Its like if I pasted the image of someone over the black knight's scene from Monthy Python (when he gets his limbs chopped off) and someone called that incitement to violence.

EDIT: turns out CNN may actualy have threatened the wrong person, too, and the guy they found only cropped the original gif, which was created by someone else.
I mean we literally just had someone post a video of themselves waving around a fake severed Trump head and nobody in CNN seemed to be in the mood to criticize that. We had people hanging effigies of Obama during his presidency.

This is entirely about CNN being hypocritical self-important authoritarian assholes. That the person they went after this time sounds like an asshole too doesn't excuse it in the slightest.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123931 on: July 05, 2017, 03:18:24 pm »

If we're being pedantic a-holes, then explain to me how using public information from the guy's reddit and facebook qualifies as "using" a network of informants, no matter who compiles it  :P

But more generally, try to chill a little. You're coming across as a bit insecure there with the whole questioning my literacy thing.
One wheel short of a wagon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123932 on: July 05, 2017, 03:21:47 pm »

In this modern age, does it really matter if the informant is a human, or a machine? Hell, in another century, the distinction may not even exist.

Did CNN directly look up his records, or did they get a tip to do so? (informant)-- not known.

But yes, chilling out is good. I only responded with shocked incredulity when you asked if I was serious-- implying that the media does not keep or use networks of informants-- which is what I then responded over, and why I was incredulous of the question.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123933 on: July 05, 2017, 03:30:20 pm »

How is the gif incitement to violence though? Its a satyrical meme made from a goddamn WWE event thing in which Trump took part in. A WWE meme.

Its like if I pasted the image of someone over the black knight's scene from Monthy Python (when he gets his limbs chopped off) and someone called that incitement to violence.

EDIT: turns out CNN may actualy have threatened the wrong person, too, and the guy they found only cropped the original gif, which was created by someone else.
Eh... they're journalists.  The law is supposed to err on the side of defending them.  If a journalist couldn't reveal your identify or personal info without your consent, making for example documentaries would be an almost impossible legal minefield.  Investigative journalism has always involved skirting or breaking the law, its allowed to on purpose because there's no other way to protect journalistic freedoms.  I doubt he could sue CNN on anything other than a technicality.  This isn't blackmail because the damaging info was never secret to begin with (and it was released willingly to the public by the user in question).  And AFAIK the law does not protect private citizens even slightly from having their personal information revealed by journalists.  If it did they would get sued for defamation every time they released a suspect's photo and the person turned out to be innocent.

I actually disagree with you about doing this privately.  By doing it in the open they have *slightly* done something journalistic (by adding to an existing story, even if it is just talking about themselves mostly), and they've been open and honest about what they did.  So they're at least willing to take the heat for this, and possibly change in the future.  As I said before their actions were unacceptable but by doing it in the open, and by doing something less harmful than doxxing, they at least have some tiny excuse.  Doing this in private would be completely unjustifiable.

As for it being a WWE meme, don't see why that matters even slightly.  Ironic speech is still speech.  And all the time people do stupid shit and get turned into public figures without their consent.  Person says something dumb or falls over or whatever, someone films it on their smartphone, youtube channel that's just someone's name releases a video with a CAPITAL LETTER TITLE and it goes viral, 3 years later mid level internet news site releases an article like "we've tracked down the guy that said UFOs were real and then fell off his bike!"  The thing is, if you're OK with say watching hidden camera pranks or dash cam videos of car crashes, why would you not be OK with people being doxxed?  Doesn't some guy driving to work have an expectation of anonymity just like someone on the internet?  The only reason I would be unhappy about this guy getting doxxed is because I prefer media not be used for public embarrassment in general.  This guy didn't expect Trump to turn his shitpost into a national level news item, and it wouldn't be very nice of CNN to doxx him (which, again, they didn't).  If he was, say, a big name youtuber then fuck yeah I'd be OK with him taking some heat for this.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123934 on: July 05, 2017, 03:53:38 pm »

For anyone who doesn't like Tingle in the Zelda series.

Don't worry about it.

He is one huge gay joke and I think it is part of the "Gay people are sexual predators" kick Japan has been on for... like... 20 years now.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123935 on: July 05, 2017, 03:57:49 pm »

I always silently conflate Mr Tingle with "Chuck Tingle". (No. I wont link to one of his books, as that is a ban-worthy offense. No. Really. Look him up.)

To me it makes it take on a whole new level of WTF, and funny.  The idea of Mr Tingle writing a story about link doing battle with ganondorf (ahem) makes me laugh.

Obligatory wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Tingle
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:02:14 pm by wierd »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123936 on: July 05, 2017, 04:09:26 pm »

A priest, secretary to Cardinal Franceso Coccopalmerio whom is personal advisor to Pope Francis, living in an apartment located in the former palace dedicated to the Office of the Doctrine of the Faith (their regulatory office essentially), was evidently found to be hosting a drug-fueled homosexual orgy during a police raid (linked to the original before people questioned the source).
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123937 on: July 05, 2017, 04:13:18 pm »

I see religious hypocrisy is alive and well-- Curious to see how the pope handles it. He strikes me as more stern about this kind of thing than prior leaders of that religion.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123938 on: July 05, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »

The thing is, if you're OK with say watching hidden camera pranks or dash cam videos of car crashes, why would you not be OK with people being doxxed?  Doesn't some guy driving to work have an expectation of anonymity just like someone on the internet?  The only reason I would be unhappy about this guy getting doxxed is because I prefer media not be used for public embarrassment in general.  This guy didn't expect Trump to turn his shitpost into a national level news item, and it wouldn't be very nice of CNN to doxx him (which, again, they didn't).  If he was, say, a big name youtuber then fuck yeah I'd be OK with him taking some heat for this.
I feel like that isn't quite an equitable comparison.
Someone caught on a hidden cam prank or whatever -perhaps their face is seen, but generally not their name and address as well, and it's without expectation of malicious consequences for the person. Sure, they look silly on youtube or whatever. While of course it's possible to track people down with just their face it's alot more difficulty and people are less inclined. Their privacy is still somewhat retained.
But CNN doxing this guy is releasing all his details in the knowledge that guy is going to get hate mail. Probably death threats knowing the internet. His privacy is completely ruined, and any google search by employers etc will come up with him. His life is negatively affected, quite possibly forever.
Over a dumbass meme.

It's not justifiable.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123939 on: July 05, 2017, 05:18:38 pm »

Man one of my old favorite sites is hemorrhaging contributors and the primary one isn't even a good one anymore (he kind of sucks now).

At this point it practically has no one left who I actually like (beyond one, but I go to his own website). No wait! there is another... who I don't think will leave the site.

Ok this is Channel Awesome... I hate revealing what I watch at all.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123940 on: July 05, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »

I was googling a release date for "The Winds of Winter"   and suddenly I decided to google how long it took Cervantes to write 'The Quixote"

It took him one year to write the first part.  When he went for the sequel a few years later, it took him two years.
And that's writing it by hand with a fucking quill.

Granted, GRRM is not Miguel de Cervantes, so we can hardly expect the same performance.  But then again, GoT is no Quixote either

I'm sure using a goddamn quill is faster than typing in wordstar, using only one finger.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #123941 on: July 05, 2017, 05:28:57 pm »

Man one of my old favorite sites is hemorrhaging contributors and the primary one isn't even a good one anymore (he kind of sucks now).

At this point it practically has no one left who I actually like (beyond one, but I go to his own website). No wait! there is another... who I don't think will leave the site.

Ok this is Channel Awesome... I hate revealing what I watch at all.

I still like Nostalgia Critic sometimes and his editorials are still good, but the flood of Tamara's Never Seen, Tamara Just Saw, Tamara Might Have Seen But Wasn't Sure, Tamara Saw Once As A Child And Recently Rewatched, etc. is annoying as hell.

Todd in the Shadows has his own YouTube channel (when it isn't being struck down by copyright nazis) so all is well anyway.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123942 on: July 05, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »

Nostalgia Critic suffers from the fact that his analysis skills are WEEEEAAAAAAK! Now he is kind of losing his passion which brings out his weak analysis skills even more.

Though yeah I forgot Tamara. I also like Brad Jones, SF-Debris (I go to his site instead), Linkara (I go to his site instead).

Lets see... uhhh... The Dom is excellent! Mike J is small but charming (Fits my tastes). Sursum Ursela is also great (I have a feeling she will leave the site soon).

I've also watched Animerica's new stuff... But make no mistake they are NOT good reviewers... But their last few stuff has been worth a laugh (They are improving though. Now if they could stop their "Progressive Japan" jokes)

Also yeah Todd is good (another who I think will leave soon)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:44:59 pm by Neonivek »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123943 on: July 05, 2017, 05:49:25 pm »

Not a lot of good old youtube people around. Jefmajor still streams though and SpiffySquee is still around.

I would recommend BlackPantsLegion. most recent video for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzoPCMMRrhg

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123944 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »

A priest, secretary to Cardinal Franceso Coccopalmerio whom is personal advisor to Pope Francis, living in an apartment located in the former palace dedicated to the Office of the Doctrine of the Faith (their regulatory office essentially), was evidently found to be hosting a drug-fueled homosexual orgy during a police raid (linked to the original before people questioned the source).

They were reenacting ancient roman traditions :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 8261 8262 [8263] 8264 8265 ... 11037