Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8249 8250 [8251] 8252 8253 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526382 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123750 on: June 30, 2017, 07:41:13 pm »

Obviously not.  And calling someone out for being dishonest or a shock jock isn't necessarily some witch hunt.  Some people are popular for bad reasons.

It's very possible I judged Sargon wrong, back then.  Or maybe he adopted a measure of integrity since I gave him a chance (like I said, it was a while ago).  But what you just said is the kind of cheap rhetorical nonsense that led me to dismiss him.

Sarcastically assaulting strawmen is as easy as it is effective.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123751 on: June 30, 2017, 08:12:40 pm »

Yeah, no, Sargon is still the clickbaity shock jock you remember.

UNIVERSITIES
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123752 on: June 30, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »

The problem with Sargon is that he adopts a very reasoned, calm demeanor and often takes positions which are reasonable and moderate, which makes the bullshit easier to slip through if you get sloppy about fact-checking. I trust him more than people like Sarkeesian and Alex Jones because he isn't nonstop 100% bullshit, but I also trust him less because he isn't so blatantly nutso. One particular tell that's he's not entirely sincere in his "no really I'm just a moderate liberal" is his continual insistence that the right isn't as absurd or as much of a problem right now... "right now" edging closer to a decade day by day. Pretty much every actual sensible leftist is trying to juggle dealing with left-wing jerkoffs and dealing with right-wing jerkoffs. As one, I specifically detest the radical left because their narcissistic hateful bigotry is drawing attention and energy away from objectively more important problems like trying to keep the biosphere fit for human life and avoiding corporate oligarchy (never mind when they ally with the corporate types because of some low-tier pandering).

Basically, as a moderate leftist, radical leftists are a mid-term socio-cultural threat that could destabilize and set human civilization back by decades or centuries, while radical rightists are an overwhelming existential threat actively trying to wipe out not only most post-feudal civilization but in many cases human life altogether. Sargon's full of shit in my eyes specifically because he tries to cast the former as being a greater priority than the latter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123753 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:54 pm »

Yeah, that was one of my main points against him, thanks for backing me up. <3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123754 on: June 30, 2017, 08:35:43 pm »

Found that sargon thing when looking at a Vox article and my reaction was "That gamergate thing is still bouncing around?"

Video games are an absurd issue war?

People gotta argue about something I guess. It started over accusations of sexism in games or something and it just spiralled from there, primarily between two parties. Basically it's like two SJWs went and clashed with each other.

It wasn't even anything like a ridculously sexist game sparking controversy or anything that would lead to productive discussion.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:37:46 pm by smjjames »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123755 on: June 30, 2017, 08:47:14 pm »

while radical rightists are an overwhelming existential threat actively trying to wipe out not only most post-feudal civilization but in many cases human life altogether.
:U

Hot damn, I didn't know we lived in shadowrun.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123756 on: June 30, 2017, 08:54:35 pm »

Pretty much every actual sensible leftist is trying to juggle dealing with left-wing jerkoffs and dealing with right-wing jerkoffs. As one, I specifically detest the radical left because their narcissistic hateful bigotry is drawing attention and energy away from objectively more important problems like trying to keep the biosphere fit for human life and avoiding corporate oligarchy (never mind when they ally with the corporate types because of some low-tier pandering).
Though you and I may draw the line in different places, this.  As a feminist, it's important for me to condemn "feminists" who go off in obscene directions. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123757 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »

while radical rightists are an overwhelming existential threat actively trying to wipe out not only most post-feudal civilization but in many cases human life altogether.

I wish. We've got the cyberpunk part down, but there's a criminal lack of dragons and ogres in modern society.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123758 on: June 30, 2017, 09:37:57 pm »

I wish. We've got the cyberpunk part down, but there's a criminal lack of dragons and ogres in modern society.
Where's the datajacks, man? You can't have Shadowrun without datajacks.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123759 on: June 30, 2017, 09:40:11 pm »

Didn't they get rid of datajacks and make everything wireless in later editions?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123760 on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:32 pm »

Hard to beat the security of a hard line with good encryption. Wireless is convenient, but anyone with a good sniffer and enough time can dump your transmission and brute force it later. ;)

To tap a hardline, they have to put in a patch or splice-- some encryption methods (like the new quantum ones) actively prevent those methods. The datajack might be bulky and cosmetically unappealing, but it has its uses, even in a wireless communication landscape.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123761 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:09 pm »

@Lord Shonus

Nope, I read 5th edition. Datajacks are on of the only things that are never wireless.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123762 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:15 pm »

Didn't they get rid of datajacks and make everything wireless in later editions?
No idea, I've never played tabletop Shadowrun. But I hope not. Physically plugging yourself into the Internet sounds way more punk-y than using WiFi.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123763 on: June 30, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »

@Lord Shonus

Nope, I read 5th edition. Datajacks are on of the only things that are never wireless.

Ah. My information was second hand (the only Shadowrun rulebook I own (and (like most RPG systems that aren't 3.5e D&D and now GURPS) have never played due to the trouble of finding a group) is either 2nd or 3rd edition) - I heard about all the wireless in later editions and decided that that killed the feel of the setting.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123764 on: June 30, 2017, 09:48:31 pm »

I'd say the East India Company was peak cyberpunk-dystopia.  An entire region ruled by a corporation with a giant private army.  Everything today is small peanuts compared to that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 8249 8250 [8251] 8252 8253 ... 11037