Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8248 8249 [8250] 8251 8252 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526340 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123735 on: June 30, 2017, 01:58:35 pm »

Girl from nextdoors rings the doorbell with a bleeding finger (or well, the doorbell looks clean so I think she used a good finger). Said she hit a door too hard in frustration and anger. Dayum, her knuckle was open to the bone. While I did have some bandage and medical tape in the house, I forgot to restrock desinfecant, so I could only bandage it as well as I could, and set her up for an appointment with the weekend shift doctor. I think my bandage should hold for the 3 hours she needs to wait for the appointment (it's not life-threatening so I guess 3h isn't that bad for evening / weekend shift).

I did advise her that if she ever felt like smashing her knuckles to the bone again, to please do that before 18h, and not during weekends (she has to go to the other side of town now to get to the only hospital that services evenings and weekends, instead of a 5 minute walk to the local doctor's office).
I have told her three times that she really does need to go to that doctor to have it cleaned, or it will get infected. I'm about 75% sure it'll need stitches as well, or I wouldn't have sent her to a doctor, I'd have sent her to a pharmacy for desinfectant. I do hope she shows for that appointment with the doctor, she did seem hesitant.

House nextdoor to mine is used by one of our local healthcare organizations that does homeless reintegration, youth care, special care, addiction care, reintegration after prison, loverboy victim shelters, you name it. I am still not completely sure which type the one nextdoor to me is. My best guess is it's specifically tailored to kids with ADHD and PTSD (from what the residents have told me), and I know it's a last, or almost last step program before kids (youngest I've seen was 17, most residents that passed through were 18+) move forwards to completely independant living. There's 2-3 kids living there at any one time. They have their own room, and share living area, kitchen and bathroom. There's no resident supervision.

Sadly I've seen a few of their residents getting drawn into the loverboy/criminal boyfriend circuit from it. A couple of years ago I've been plagued by night terror for two years, by one of their, let's say, less socially adept residents and her criminal boyfriend, that even had an official restraining order for the entire neighborhood, yet completely ignored it. With night terror I mean, waking up at 2-4am because of the noise of breaking glass, doors and furniture nextdoors, or waking up and calling the police because the screaming really sounds like either she is going to kill him, or he is going to kill her for real, or calling the police because she went away on holidays and gave the keys to the house to 'friends' who turned it into a nightly drug den.

Compared to that, the current residents are saints. Haven't had any disturbance or complaint for over a year now, except some occasional loud music, and worse, karaoke by people who cannot sing, but those I can classify into the 'ahwell kids will be kids' category and happily ignore. Bleeding girl does have a criminal boyfriend problem since a few months though (and from what I understand that was the reason she was angry and punching doors), I hope that doesn't escalate.

What makes me go WTF though, is how the healthcare organisation responsible for them spends waaaay too little time actually being present at the location and helping the kids stay out of trouble, and out of bad relationships. I don't believe they come check on their residents more than once a month, and then I'm being optimistic. Even back with the 2 years of trouble, I had quite a few talks with the 'healthcare professionals' personally involved with the location, reporting my observations, transferring my worries, and asking them to attend more often, basically, to do their job.
Never helped. Sometimes they replaced locks, which maybe helped for 2 weeks, until miss trouble gave the keys to mr criminal boyfriend again. It took the 'professionals' over two years to realize that she was basically just playing them, and consistantly lying, despite me literally telling them that. They finally decided to kick her out after they found out for the umpteenth time that she was telling them it was over with her criminal boyfriend, while in reality they were living together 24/7, in the house where he had a police restraining order.
That's when you get when healthcare gets turned over to the free market. We now have such a phletora of specialized, semi-specialized, and generic healthcare organizations, that it has become virtually impossible to control quality. It's too fragmented and decentralized. I'm sure the kids in the house next to me get put in the books as costing more work hours than they get in reality, but who is going to check that? Keeping that kid in a location with minimal care was much more profitable than putting her in a semi-closed ward, where she should have really been, especially if the kid needs care that your own organization cannot offer.

Back before it was housed there, the social rental company sent a letter to the direct neighbors, informing them that they were going to rent out the place to the healthcare organization, and that it was going to be used to house 'problem youth'.
Back then I thought "hey, those kids have to live someplace, so sure, go ahead, no objections." I'm not really a NIMBY kind of guy when it comes to social welfare.
Had I known how minimal / absent professional attendance would be though, I would have objected.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:11:06 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123736 on: June 30, 2017, 02:37:32 pm »

I think my last two or three days of feverish work have left me temporarily unable to go back to the "resting" state.
._.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #123737 on: June 30, 2017, 02:53:01 pm »

I have an album, "Vicarious," consisting of tons of early tracks by underground rapper Madhatter. I won't lie, it's not very good, but it's something to listen to if I ever need two hours of music for some reason. That's not the point.

There's a song called "Do It To You." I must have heard it ten times and never once realized that it's about actual Greek titans (presumably Heightened Titans, who feature on the track) trying to pick up chicks in the ancient world. Heightened Titans, sans Hatter, have at least one more song (it's actually pretty skeezy but still about Greek titans picking up chicks) along the same lines.

I'm glad that I live in a world where ridiculous ideas come to people with the will to carry them out.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123738 on: June 30, 2017, 04:01:57 pm »

I thought wicca was just a revival of druidic paganism. It's a modern revival though, that's true.
Eeeeh. Like pretty much all neopaganism, it's got tenuous links at best. Went to a federation meetup once, a lot of it was really vague spiritualism that used dead faiths as a source of names and concepts more than anything else, with lots of mixing and matching. Nothing wrong with that, but it's got about as much in common with the original faith as Mormonism does with Roman-era Christianity, maybe less.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm not a fan of any religion, but with neopagan types I've encountered markedly fewer hateful/intolerant nutjobs. Though the general blind-belief is just as strong-but again, I'd rather deal with people who are absolutely convinced that they mentally project themselves when they sleep than with people who are absolutely convinced that they have to kill or convert all nonbelievers.

There's definitely some degree of "pull together" sentiment at work, since there's a common thread in neopaganism of being downtrodden/forgotten and differences between different revivals being relatively trivial compared to the weight of what was lost under the Abrahamic yoke. A lot of them being polytheistic or non-theistic likely helps as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123739 on: June 30, 2017, 04:18:35 pm »

skeptics [...] sargon [...] pretty reasonable people overall
HAH

Whats so unreasonable about sargon? The guy literally asked people who watch his videos to not harass her.
Incoherent ideology; "I'm not supporting trump!" while always taking his side, saying he doesn't attack the right wing because 'they don't need it, they're irrelevant' (when they're literally the ones in power most of the time) and ostensibly being on the side of the left while regurgitating all the tired and hackney'd arguments against the left.

Mischaracterizing anyone he attacks in his videos with blatant editing to make them sound worse than what they actually were saying (or just outright the opposite of what they're saying) like quoting Anita saying something horrible when it turned out she was just quoting her own opponents who were saying she was saying it. Like if she says "They say 'I hate white men and want them all to die,'" and then taking out the "they say" part and passing it off as her actually saying that. He does it a lot. Like, to the point where it's his shtick; he sucks in live debates because he can't edit his opponent to make them sound much worse and make it easier to attack.

And the always memorable "Petition to UNIVERSITIES" trying to get them to shut down ALL the "Social Justice" courses. That was a goldmine.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:35:41 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123740 on: June 30, 2017, 05:39:47 pm »

skeptics [...] sargon [...] pretty reasonable people overall
HAH

Whats so unreasonable about sargon? The guy literally asked people who watch his videos to not harass her.
Incoherent ideology; "I'm not supporting trump!" while always taking his side, saying he doesn't attack the right wing because 'they don't need it, they're irrelevant' (when they're literally the ones in power most of the time) and ostensibly being on the side of the left while regurgitating all the tired and hackney'd arguments against the left.

Mischaracterizing anyone he attacks in his videos with blatant editing to make them sound worse than what they actually were saying (or just outright the opposite of what they're saying) like quoting Anita saying something horrible when it turned out she was just quoting her own opponents who were saying she was saying it. Like if she says "They say 'I hate white men and want them all to die,'" and then taking out the "they say" part and passing it off as her actually saying that. He does it a lot. Like, to the point where it's his shtick; he sucks in live debates because he can't edit his opponent to make them sound much worse and make it easier to attack.

And the always memorable "Petition to UNIVERSITIES" trying to get them to shut down ALL the "Social Justice" courses. That was a goldmine.
Context. Sargon was on about the universities thing because said universities are becoming breeding grounds for radicals that make the rank and file of black blocs and antifa that caused the shitstorm at berkley, literally threatened a teacher because he refused to bow down to the hilariously racist "day of absence" thing and etc. And honestly I agree with him, many universities are being breeding grounds for radicals and world views not actualy based on science. Taking an example Reelya cited some pages ago, how exactly is the study of glaciers something that absolutely needs to submit to third wave feminist logic? I'm sorry, thats not actualy science.
Those girls that said science is an evil white man thing and that african black magic is totally real is another thing sargon made fun of. I'm totally down to removing that kind of shit from universities, yea, sounds pretty damn reasonable.

Sargon never supported Trump, either, he just did what literally anyone else not wanting hillary to be president did: make fun of the hilarious shitstorm that was the american elections, along with pretty much everyone else in the world. In short, all he did was say "this guy is absolutely hilarious and he's fucking murdering the democrats, lol". Everyone else did that and are still doing it, you don't have to be a 4d chess playing kekistani magician or an Alex Jones tinfoil prepper to make fun of the american left, literally everyone is doing it, with reason. Sargon is a third party in this matter, if A and B are enemies, and C comes along and makes fun of A, that doesn't mean C is in favor of B.

Also not sure on the whole mischaracterization thing, he's pretty careful with his sources, so unless you provide a source I can't say much on the matter. Also, even if such thing happened, I'd still criticise sarkeesian for literally dehumanizing someone for ~daring~ to sit at the front row of a panel in which she's in, specially when she's guilty of all the things she claims to suffer. All the observable facts we have on the issue is anita harassing him AND other people at vidcon, and that is quite a reasonable point to criticise her for, even if you absolutely dislike sargon.

On an unrelated note, the group anita and related people called "white supremacists" of vidcon seemed awfuly more culturally and racially diverse than any feminist panel at the event.
Makes one think.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:55:47 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #123741 on: June 30, 2017, 05:44:31 pm »

Saw somebody go the wrong way round of a roundabout, 'cause they apparently didn't want to go 3/4 ofthe way round to the exit they wanted, on a three-exit roundabout.

Consequently, the entered their exit on the wrong side of the road, evidently without anybody coming the other - correct - way and thus depriving me of the entertainment of them realizing how much of an arse they were being.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123742 on: June 30, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »

no i think i'm gonna keep mocking putting up an internet petition to get UNIVERSITIES* (as in, that was the petition recipient. Just UNIVERSITIES. I wanna make that clear) to shut down ALL SJW COURSES EVER

also, no, it's A vs. B, and C is putting forth arguments FOR B and AGAINST A. If you don't call that supporting B, then I'm curious on what you would.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:01:04 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123743 on: June 30, 2017, 06:02:13 pm »

Paradox Interactive acquires Triumph Studios

This kind of took me by surprise.
I wonder what might come from this union

The latest Age of Wonders game I played was quite good.
Paradox is, as much as I'd like to criticise them, known for making great games.
Actually, the modern age is very rare on "PC first" games and fantasy strategy is a dying genre, so I'm actually somehow feeling some semblance of trust for them.

Still not gonna be bullied into buying their HoI4 DLC though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123744 on: June 30, 2017, 06:22:00 pm »

Saw somebody go the wrong way round of a roundabout, 'cause they apparently didn't want to go 3/4 ofthe way round to the exit they wanted, on a three-exit roundabout.
That is terrifying.
Yours too, Naxza.  My rule of thumb- don't go if someone will have to brake whatsoever.  They probably will, but they might not.
But I still don't even trust turn signals until people have slowed to a crawl.  A history of bicycling (and relatively little driving) has me paranoid, and I can live with that.  I do always signal, of course.

Re: Sargon, ehh...  I did try to give him a chance.  But his initial videos on Sarkeesian (who I long since stopped supporting) were awful.  As I remember it, and it was a while ago, he couched every rational criticism in a bed of misogyny and baseless personal attacks.  It was like reading youtube comments.  No thanks.

I did enjoy a debate he did with someone about Brexit, though.  Maybe because I somewhat agreed with him going in, so his pandering shit and "Universities are poisoning our youth!!" was easier to ignore.
On the whole, not a fan.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123745 on: June 30, 2017, 06:29:04 pm »

Sargon and Sarkeesian should frankly get along great, they're both shock jocks, same profession with different audiences. You can really tell this by the way that both of them are 90% reputation. I've maybe watched one video from each of them, ever, everything else is pure reputation and people fighting over what they think the two of them are. I have to wonder how many people fight about it without having actually watched anything from either of them.

They've both got fans who are way too fanatical to have a crossover, but my god, the butthurt and mutual death threats would be record-setting. I mean shit, even Alex Jones could play his crazy well enough to go on Joe Rogan's show.

*sigh*...I miss when videogames weren't some absurd war issue for everybody.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123746 on: June 30, 2017, 06:59:49 pm »

Video games are an absurd issue war?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123747 on: June 30, 2017, 07:12:37 pm »

Trump's election sort of wiped it out and it has yet to return in force (thank god), but about a year or two ago? Oh yeah.

The prime social issue of our time, you know, them vidja.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123748 on: June 30, 2017, 07:17:46 pm »

I thank my lucky stars that I missed out on it!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123749 on: June 30, 2017, 07:18:34 pm »

Is being critical of things = being a shock jock nowadays?

How shocking.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 8248 8249 [8250] 8251 8252 ... 11037