Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8247 8248 [8249] 8250 8251 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526117 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123720 on: June 30, 2017, 01:47:26 am »

Paradox Interactive acquires Triumph Studios

This kind of took me by surprise.
I wonder what might come from this union (Or acquisition, whatever word suits better.).

The WTF part is that I did not know about this until now.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:50:52 am by Ultimuh »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #123721 on: June 30, 2017, 01:52:13 am »

@Reelya: Can we get sources on the "gaudy, stupid Greeks/Egyptians/medieval Europeans" stuff? And, er, no offense, but why do you seem so passionately angry about this topic? Like, I get that you want to debunk the idea that ancient civilizations were paragons of perfect artistic achievement, but was it really necessary to describe all pharaohs as "spoiled shits", or describe all medieval nobles as "angry" and "half-literate"?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #123722 on: June 30, 2017, 01:58:44 am »

Manager tried to "help" a customer by loudly proclaiming that she had no idea what was going on, apparently for a significant amount of time before I arrived. Even if she knew what was going on she would not have had the tools to fix it. I have no idea who this lady is or what she does elsewhere in the store, but her micromanaging an area she apparently has no experience in is really starting to get up my ass.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123723 on: June 30, 2017, 02:19:13 am »

I thought wicca was just a revival of druidic paganism. It's a modern revival though, that's true.

No, modern wicca does not resemble old druidic practice very much at all, given what little we do actually have about the ancient traditions. (the roman catholic church was very effective at eradicating nearly all records of those evil heathen practices. What we do have mostly comes from roman frontier captains sending back reports, and naturally those are biased as fuck, and probably not reflective of the true reality of what actually happened, or what people truly believed.) 

It resembles old druidic practice about as much as halmark card angels resemble the actual descriptions of angels in jewish folklore.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123724 on: June 30, 2017, 02:25:21 am »

@Reelya: Can we get sources on the "gaudy, stupid Greeks/Egyptians/medieval Europeans" stuff? And, er, no offense, but why do you seem so passionately angry about this topic? Like, I get that you want to debunk the idea that ancient civilizations were paragons of perfect artistic achievement, but was it really necessary to describe all pharaohs as "spoiled shits", or describe all medieval nobles as "angry" and "half-literate"?

Who's angry? it's just fun to debunk popularly held views :) but the Pharaoh were probably mostly spoiled asshats. And medieval nobles were indeed semi-literate cretins. It was normal. That's what nobles were like. Poking fun at them isn't because I'm angry at them, it's just funny to take the piss out of them, for the same reason that they're usually revered as all austere and shit. Which they almost certainly were not. (they were all Inbred spoiled weirdos).

sure, for the Greek stuff they pointed UV light at them to detect paint remains and work out what colors they were. I think you'll agree some of the statues look pretty hideous:
https://moco-choco.com/2014/04/18/true-colors-of-ancient-greek-and-roman-statues/

For cathedrals they did something similar. It's more artistic than the primitive Greek stuff, but if you look at the close-ups, it definitely fits the description of "tacky" pretty well too:
https://churchpop.com/2015/02/23/medieval-cathedrals-color/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:30:11 am by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123725 on: June 30, 2017, 02:36:03 am »

The version I've heard is that everyone always likes coloring things and having stuff.  The only reason that some modern people are minimalist is that coloring things and having stuff became too easy.  AFAIK the ancient world never had the concept of minimalism as an aesthetic.  Even the greatest of emperors would still fill his court with color and opulent displays of every form of wealth imaginable.  Nowadays even poor people could theoretically eat gold leaf just to say they did (wouldn't even put you back that much), so things have kind of changed.

Primary sources from all times will reference colorful paints even if the artifacts recovered from that time aren't colorful.  Even just simple things like a brightly painted sign for a shop.  At this point I believe the default assumption is that no civilization was ever drab unless evidence suggests that it was.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123726 on: June 30, 2017, 02:40:52 am »

Makes some sense, as the human animal is geared to respond to bright colors. The majority of human sensory processing is devoted to vision, and bright colors really set the brain off.

Personally though, I feel that the paint masks and detracts from the quality of the carving. Paint fills fine details in, much like heavy makeup can conceal fine lines and wrinkles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123727 on: June 30, 2017, 02:42:25 am »

Guess we modern people have become so absurdly rich that all we want is to appear poor.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123728 on: June 30, 2017, 03:03:48 am »

Guess we modern people have become so absurdly rich that all we want is to appear poor.
Maybe rich by historical standards. I however feel I don't have enough for whatever I need.
(And what I need, is to upgrade my home computer. Or just get a new one.)
But I have enough to have a home and feed myself each day. So there's that I suppose.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123729 on: June 30, 2017, 04:34:20 am »

The developer of Commandos: Behind Enemy lines (does anyone else remember that game?) Has been caught in a corruption scandal
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123730 on: June 30, 2017, 05:10:12 am »

I find it weird when someone institutes a twist that seems to exist to either de-escalate the problem or make things less interesting.

Like you are playing as a villainous monster and TWIST! You are human and this evil guy turned you into a monster!

Or TWIST this was all a simulation the entire time and you didn't hurt anyone!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123731 on: June 30, 2017, 06:06:45 am »

Paradox Interactive acquires Triumph Studios

This kind of took me by surprise.
I wonder what might come from this union (Or acquisition, whatever word suits better.).

The WTF part is that I did not know about this until now.

Triumph are the guys behind Age of Wonders. This could be interesting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123732 on: June 30, 2017, 06:08:22 am »

Triumph are the guys behind Age of Wonders. This could be interesting.

Personally I think this is what the Age of Wonders series has always needed.

Unfinished gameplay and tons of nickel and diming DLC.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123733 on: June 30, 2017, 06:09:06 am »

Pls give me more age of wonders paradox, age of wonders 3 was ok, but kind of a letdown.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123734 on: June 30, 2017, 06:10:59 am »

Pls give me more age of wonders paradox, age of wonders 3 was ok, but kind of a letdown.

And make sure it is released with less features! We hate those!
Pages: 1 ... 8247 8248 [8249] 8250 8251 ... 11037