Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8246 8247 [8248] 8249 8250 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526112 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123705 on: June 29, 2017, 09:07:48 pm »

Speaking of puff pastry, who would've guessed that potted meat & ale pie would taste so good? :v
TAKE ME AWAY, SODIUM
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123706 on: June 29, 2017, 09:09:31 pm »

Mustard belongs on anything sausage-related. Or, heck, most foods in general.
(that's not a "sausage roll" anyway jeez, even a vegetarian like myself knows that!)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #123707 on: June 29, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »

(that's not a "sausage roll" anyway jeez, even a vegetarian like myself knows that!)
Yup. Hotdogs are not sausages and vice versa. They are both meat in a tube like shape, but the spices and "skin" and processing process are different.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123708 on: June 29, 2017, 09:20:31 pm »

It is a sausage roll. There was a french bakery near where I grew up and they made sausage rolls exactly like that. It's what people make sausage rolls like when they have no idea how to make them. They put an actual sausage or frankfurt in there, then wrap it in pastry. The problem is that the pastry doesn't adhere to the sausage's skin, then it crumbles/flakes off the sausage in clumps when you try and eat it.

If you google home recipes for sausage rolls, they look just like the American "Puff Dogs".

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/easy-sausage-rolls/a5f551c1-ca33-43e1-a9e2-30c8394af837
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/cooked/uk/sausage-roll-shortcrust-pastry

Hotdogs are in fact a type of sausage. Even if your locality uses "sausage" to generally refer to non-frankfurter sausages, they are all in fact part of the class of things known as sausages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:32:16 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123709 on: June 29, 2017, 09:25:29 pm »

Well yeah, obviously individual businesses can brand their product as whatever they like, but anyone who knows anything knows that an actual, proper sausage roll is a flattened pastry tube filled with miscellaneous, dark brown meat-product, sometimes spiced, always heavily processed and regularly served with tomato sauce.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123710 on: June 29, 2017, 09:39:53 pm »

My WTF is that they're renaming pigs in a blanket for marketing purposes
And they didn't even call them "puff doge".  Why such a half measure?

Heck yeah!  Mustard is pretty great, especially on veggie-"sausage".  Or just tofu.
The expensive stuff like Tofurkey (tm) sure does taste good, but it's basically a ton of spice mixed into tofu.  Fortunately that's pretty cheap to simulate.

I wish I were better at spices, like my dad and brother, but mustard+parsley goes a long way and my palate is less discriminating.

Other WTF:  I was watching Babylon 5 S1E7, and an alien got branded with a mixture of the Ares and Venus sigils.  Which reminded me of that symbol I asked about in a religion thread, which turned out to be a transgender pride symbol.
The symbol I was thinking of had an additional dual-gendered axis, and represented... pansexuality, I think.  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51oXhJJ8FoL._SX355_.jpg
The symbol in the show was exactly the same down to the orientations, minus the dual-gendered axis.

Of course the real reason is clear...  The Ares/male symbol has always pointed up-right, and the Venus/woman symbol is vertical/down.
But even that kinda made me think.  Did the ancient Greeks orient the Ares symbol that way on purpose?  Why wouldn't they make it symmetrical?
Or maybe there's some Greek symbol for the up-left direction I just haven't heard of.  It's all Greek to me.

Edit:  But also the idea of a male-female symbol being used for HFY is both silly and kinda cool.  Which is my ideal HFY.  http://imgur.com/a/iDsr8
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123711 on: June 29, 2017, 09:42:19 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_symbols

The use of these symbols is based in ancient Greco-Roman tradition, although their current shapes are a development of the 16th century.

Yeah, not that historical in other words.

A lot of our understanding of the ancients comes 2nd hand via renaissance / enlightenment scholarship. For example the "white" marble statues were actually gaudily painted in the Greek era. We just wank on about how the white marble signified purity / culture or some shit. All of which is clearly bullshit, because they didn't leave the sculptures unpainted.

And also, medieval cathedrals were in fact brightly painted. That paint just didn't last for hundreds of years vs the elements. Basically they were gigantic spectacles of bright colours, designed to impress and awe a bunch of illiterate peasants and semi-literate violent nobles.

Similarly, the pyramids were originally decked out fully in marble sheeting, with gold caps. It's all been stolen over the millennia to build other things with or to sell. We kind of assume that they looked classy and fairly minimalist, because that's easy to visualize, and it fits with our preconception of "ancestors were classy folks". But we've seens that's just not the actual case. It makes more sense to assume the actual facade design for the pyramids was as over the top and tacky as they could possibly make it. Whatever made the spoiled shit who was Pharaoh happy.

Face it, our ancestors were pompous no-taste wankers. They were not the classy and refined types our modern "classicist" classy and refined types like to believe.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:54:01 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123712 on: June 29, 2017, 09:46:54 pm »

btw , I heard that in America they've invented a radical new snack food called a Puff Dog. Not this one however:

This:

These look great, i wish we had these here! :P

However ... is that fucking mustard. Fucking mustard on a fucking sausage roll. Oh sorry "puff dogtm", the all-American invention. GTFO.
The only "new" thing about it is the shitty name. That's pigs in blankets and they've been around for a long time.

And yes, folks, they're different from sausage rolls, which tend to be larger and more thoroughly encased in the pastry (and also not franks -- pigs in blankets can be other types of sausage, but rarely are).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #123713 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:30 pm »

Pigs in a blanket generally are made with small sausages, not full size hotdogs.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123714 on: June 29, 2017, 10:37:30 pm »

Yeah I've actually been WTF in a good way all day that the thread has had relatively unpopular opinions expressed and hasn't had any real blowback.  It's encouraging.

I don't have to agree with every particular, but it's nice!  I worry sometimes that this place becomes too echo-chamber-y.  Even/especially when I agree with most members - that's when I'd love to see ideas I disagree with.  I want to see them defeated by good arguments.

But then, there's so much cruft/spam/bs out there nowadays.  There's a line between good faith and... that.
I think everybody who brought controversy to this thread today did so in good faith.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #123715 on: June 29, 2017, 10:45:45 pm »

I was hoping for some banhammer action or something.

Stop being sensible, you bastards.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123716 on: June 29, 2017, 10:50:51 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_symbols

The use of these symbols is based in ancient Greco-Roman tradition, although their current shapes are a development of the 16th century.

Yeah, not that historical in other words.

A lot of our understanding of the ancients comes 2nd hand via renaissance / enlightenment scholarship. For example the "white" marble statues were actually gaudily painted in the Greek era. We just wank on about how the white marble signified purity / culture or some shit. All of which is clearly bullshit, because they didn't leave the sculptures unpainted.

And also, medieval cathedrals were in fact brightly painted. That paint just didn't last for hundreds of years vs the elements. Basically they were gigantic spectacles of bright colours, designed to impress and awe a bunch of illiterate peasants and semi-literate violent nobles.

Similarly, the pyramids were originally decked out fully in marble sheeting, with gold caps. It's all been stolen over the millennia to build other things with or to sell. We kind of assume that they looked classy and fairly minimalist, because that's easy to visualize, and it fits with our preconception of "ancestors were classy folks". But we've seens that's just not the actual case. It makes more sense to assume the actual facade design for the pyramids was as over the top and tacky as they could possibly make it. Whatever made the spoiled shit who was Pharaoh happy.

Face it, our ancestors were pompous no-taste wankers. They were not the classy and refined types our modern "classicist" classy and refined types like to believe.

May I ask what brought this on?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123717 on: June 29, 2017, 11:32:52 pm »

It was in response to the person before me musing about why the ancient greeks designed the Aries symbol as non-symmetrical. I was pointing out that the "greek symbols" as we know them were only concocted as late as a few hundred years ago, and I extended that to how most of our beliefs in general about antiquity are bullshit. specifically, our ideas about Greek art, what cathedrals looked like, and what the pyramids looked like.

The smart thing if you've been told anything, especially about ancient civilizations, is to assume the details are in fact totally wrong. What people tell you is probably some revisionist bs that arose some time post-rennaisance. Other examples are "evil" pentagrams and of course viking horned helmets (both concepts date from the late 19th century). Wicca in general is all modern beliefs. and "ley lines" is the one that tons of people delude themselves about. There's no literature on mystical ley lines prior to 1969, and the only reference to them before that is a guy from the 1930's who noticed that some ancient hills and landmarks lined up in the UK, so he postulated they used them for navigation purposes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:42:45 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123718 on: June 30, 2017, 12:49:44 am »

I thought wicca was just a revival of druidic paganism. It's a modern revival though, that's true.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123719 on: June 30, 2017, 01:41:15 am »

I am actually wearing the camo trousers I've had in my possession for ages but have never really worn. Waiting for my laundry to dry, so it was either these, my lucky jeans ('stoo cold for them, my kneecaps would probably freeze and fall off if I walked anywhere) and the one clean pair of jeans I had left, but I didn't want to change into those without changing my underwear as well, and I am both lazy and recently washed already.

Now I'm going to walk to the library in these ridiculously baggy, rather confrontational pants. Hopefully I don't die of self-consciousness. Or, y'know, getting stabbed for wearing camo. I don't know how this works, I haven't worn camo in public since, uh, high school, probably.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 8246 8247 [8248] 8249 8250 ... 11037