Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8243 8244 [8245] 8246 8247 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14525368 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123660 on: June 29, 2017, 04:37:01 pm »

WTF NRA?, were it any other group, there would be calls to tell them to knock it off.

Any other group that states "Fight violence with truth" ???
I mean, everyone knows where the NRA stands, but that article is just dumb, the ad just said to use facts to battle violence.

"although there was a call for the police to shut down peaceful protests and a call to membership that used violent imagery"

Let's not pretend that every protest has been peaceful, you know exactly what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:39:26 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123661 on: June 29, 2017, 04:37:34 pm »

I've been job searching since I graduated (mid May) and have gotten nearly nothing out of it.

One thing I learned from looking for a job is that 99% of the time you should check back after a few days after submitting an application.  For the kind of job you'd be looking for, it's probably 100% of the time. Just go to wherever it is to ask about your application, ask when you'll hear back, etc. It makes a good impression and it's something that doesn't appear to be common knowledge - at least, no one told me about it until I'd spent a month looking for a job but I got a job shortly after I decided to check back with a few places I'd applied to.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123662 on: June 29, 2017, 04:40:07 pm »

WTF NRA?, were it any other group, there would be calls to tell them to knock it off.

Any other group that states "Fight violence with truth" ???
I mean, everyone knows where the NRA stands, but that article is just dumb, the ad just said to use facts to battle violence.

"although there was a call for the police to shut down peaceful protests and a call to membership that used violent imagery"

Let's not pretend that every protest has been peaceful, you know exactly what they are talking about.
List real examples.  And not Berkley clearly because the police did do their job for that one.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123663 on: June 29, 2017, 04:42:50 pm »

Pretty sure there were other violent protests :U, berkley just was the icing on the cake.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123664 on: June 29, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »

List, real examples, no you can't use THOSE real examples.
Ok, aside from Berkeley multiple times, we have right after the elections.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-inauguration-protests-20170120-story.html

May day.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/riot_arrests_in_portland_ore_a.html

I mean, I could keep going, but violence on both sides has not been uncommon.
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123665 on: June 29, 2017, 04:53:03 pm »

Is anyone other than me tired of this tagline: "The adventure of a lifetime"

How many adventures of a lifetime do I got to watch?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123666 on: June 29, 2017, 04:54:03 pm »

I have yet to see anything that lives up to the title.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123667 on: June 29, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »

STFU, The Little Mermaid 2 is a work of art.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123668 on: June 29, 2017, 05:15:30 pm »

Perhaps it refers to the adventure of the characters lifetime, not the viewers. After all, the viewers are not the ones going on the adventure.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:17:17 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123669 on: June 29, 2017, 05:25:13 pm »

List, real examples, no you can't use THOSE real examples.
Ok, aside from Berkeley multiple times, we have right after the elections.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-inauguration-protests-20170120-story.html

May day.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/riot_arrests_in_portland_ore_a.html

I mean, I could keep going, but violence on both sides has not been uncommon.
Again, in both cases the police did their jobs, so neither of those can be what the ad was refering to.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123670 on: June 29, 2017, 05:42:01 pm »

Again, in both cases the police did their jobs, so neither of those can be what the ad was refering to.

Yep, they clearly imply in the ad that the police won't be able to stop them, and that NRA members are the only true frontline with the "clenched fist" of truth.

They didn't say fight it with words. That's not actually what they said.

They said the "fist of truth". Which isn't words. It means righteous violence, in the same sense that a superhero fighting with the "fist of justice" doesn't mean he's a lawyer. It means that punching people is justified.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:01:20 pm by Reelya »

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123671 on: June 29, 2017, 06:00:08 pm »

What exactly does the police doing their jobs have to do with the protests being violent?
The ad said "...bully and terrorize the law abiding, until the only option left is for the police to do their jobs..."
This has happened.

Yep, they clearly imply in the ad that the police won't be able to stop them, and that NRA members are the only true frontline with the "clenched fist" of truth.

They didn't say fight it with words. That's not actually what they said.

They said the "fist of truth". Which isn't words. It means righteous violence, in the same sense that a superhero fighting with the "fist of justice" doesn't mean he's a lawyer. It means that punching people is justified.

Uh, no. It means the power of truth, or the impact of truth.
The "fist of Justice" would mean the same, that they don't even have to use violence, being just is enough. You know like how Batman doesn't kill anyone? You've seen all the "I'm not going to fight you" stuff.
Neither of us can really say what she meant, but personification isn't a new thing.
She was giving human characteristics to truth.

There are things you guys could say about this ad. Like how it is blowing small problems way out of proportion, but you aren't saying that. Instead, you are purposefully trying to misinterpret it for political reasons.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123672 on: June 29, 2017, 06:05:51 pm »

Nope. They're a bunch of insane gun freaks. Context, bro. if a group known for not being trigger happy loons was to say it, then it wouldn't be interpreted this way.

Sure the same people could make the same point and it not come across this way, but they chose to release this under the NRA "brand" ... when you basically make these points in what is effectively a gun advertisement then you don't get that free pass, you don't get the benefit of the doubt that your metaphorical clenched fist is, in fact, a non-violent discussion-based approach. The medium is the message.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:13:37 pm by Reelya »

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123673 on: June 29, 2017, 06:13:07 pm »

Nope. They're a bunch of insane gun freaks. Context, bro. if a group known for not being trigger happy loons was to say it, then it wouldn't be interpreted this way.

When your organization is 100% about promoting people to use guns as your #1 go-to method of solving problems ... then you don't get the benefit of the doubt that your metaphorical clenched fist is a non-violent discussion-based approach.

Sure the same people could make the same point and it not come across this way, but they chose to release this under the NRA "brand" ... but when you basically make these points in what is effectively a gun advertisement then you don't get that free pass.

Funny enough, these gun freaks are the least violent segment of the US population. Committing less crimes (1:6) than even police officers.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2814691

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123674 on: June 29, 2017, 06:16:37 pm »

That citation doesn't support what you said.

Murder rates fell in every state, permits or not. But it fell more steeply in places with more strict gun control.

Only a small subset of any conceal carry group would be NRA members. There is basically no data on how many gun crimes people who are NRA members commit, that's not data they collect.

We have state by state gun ownership => homicide rates however. each 1% increase in gun ownership increases gun homicides by 0.9%. So it's basically a linear relationship.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3828709/

From the citations on that, we have more research on the probability of being a victim of gun homicide / suicide and having purchased a gun:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1380933/

RESULTS: The adjusted relative risk of suicide was 1.9 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.4, 2.5) for persons with a history of family handgun purchase from a registered dealer. The adjusted relative risk for homicide, given a history of family handgun purchase, was 2.2 (95% CI = 1.3, 3.7). For both suicide and homicide, the elevated relative risks persisted for more than 5 years after the purchase.

So ... if someone in your family buys a handgun then you have double the chance of suicide/homicide over the next 5 years. Clearly, owning handguns doesn't actually make you safer, in the aggregate.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:26:47 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8243 8244 [8245] 8246 8247 ... 11037