Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8232 8233 [8234] 8235 8236 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14521132 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123495 on: June 21, 2017, 04:06:40 pm »

I guess that's one way to work out
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123496 on: June 21, 2017, 04:17:15 pm »

Today i stood in the sun for aboit 8 hours in a shooting stand in between the biggest sugar cane planation ive ever seen and nowhere in particular (tm), shooting 12 gauge 00 shots and slugs.

Today was a good day.

Now can someone pls retrieve my arms from the floor?

Oof. If you're not a regular shooter that must have worn you way out. 12 gauge slugs are no joke.

On a semi-related note, I learned today that, if you're willing to put the time into it, you can buy a bundle of parts and put together an AR-15 (a firearm that generally retails for $1000-$5000) for around $400-$500. That's one hell of a markup.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123497 on: June 21, 2017, 04:22:10 pm »

I remember you saying in another thread that you can only buy AR-15s made before a certain time.   So how are you allowed to assemble one?  (genuine question)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123498 on: June 21, 2017, 04:26:31 pm »

I remember you saying in another thread that you can only buy AR-15s made before a certain time.   So how are you allowed to assemble one?  (genuine question)

AR-15s are semi-automatic (one bullet per pull of the trigger) and perfectly legal except in certain states. What you cannot buy is M-16s, which are fully-automatic (one pull of the trigger gives you many bullets) and thus illegal. The M-16 (and the newer M4 carbine) is a military version of the ARmalite-15 rifle.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #123499 on: June 21, 2017, 05:02:47 pm »

Just a (tangentially/vaguely) related WTF, but I really don't understand what's so bad about the M16 - I've heard that it performed so awfully in Vietnam that the Viet Cong refused to use them as weapons even when they had the opportunity. Meanwhile the AK47 (and its derivatives/variants) are lauded for reliability and durability.

Is any of this stuff this actually true? Or is it just lethal weapon elitism?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123500 on: June 21, 2017, 05:10:46 pm »

Mostly nonsense. A lot of higher-ranking US military officials resented the notion that the .30-06 (or the replacement, 7.62x51 NATO) was too much gun for the modern battlefield and didn't want to switch to the weaker round (5.56x45) the new M16 fired, preferring the M14. This led to every little (and not-so-little, there were some real problems to iron out) flaw in the weapon being blown way out of proportion.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123501 on: June 21, 2017, 05:19:27 pm »

The original M16 was a troubled weapon, it had a number of fairly serious issues when first adopted.  The modern counterparts are much improved, but the disappointment is fairly entrenched in the U.S. military culture.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123502 on: June 21, 2017, 05:19:46 pm »

Just a (tangentially/vaguely) related WTF, but I really don't understand what's so bad about the M16 - I've heard that it performed so awfully in Vietnam that the Viet Cong refused to use them as weapons even when they had the opportunity. Meanwhile the AK47 (and its derivatives/variants) are lauded for reliability and durability.

The AK47 is loved because anyone can use it with little training.  You can drop it in the sand, I think even in mud, pick it up, and it'll still fire.  That's not true of the M16, it requires much more maintenance and care.  They also have different mindsets, the M16 is lighter and fires a smaller bullet that moves faster.  I don't know which one is better at punching through kevlar, doesn't really matter since neither side in Vietnam wore armor designed to stop bullets.  My guess is that if you handed the average conscript or insurgent an M16 with no explanation they'd think it was a useless piece of crap.  I remember hearing an Afghanistan War vet talking about how a captured enemy combatant didn't understand why our soldiers never got hit... turns out no one told him and his buddies what zeroing a gun is.  That's the kind of mindset you're looking at here, someone who is trained little or not at all.

That being said, the big reason an M16 would be a bad idea for the Vietcong is the same reason we don't hand out captured AK47s to our soldiers to save money: its a huge friendly fire risk.  If you're in some jungle at night with 5 feet of visibility, do you really want to be firing a gun that looks and sounds like the enemy's gun?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123503 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:39 pm »

A lot of it was true, especially the stuff about frequent failure-to-extract jams and dubious lethality. A lot of folks blame the problems (somewhat fairly) on bad manufacturing and logistical decisions, but it still had the end result of the rifle being an unreliable piece of shit for a lot of its early years.

The AK-47 and the myriad clones and descendants thereof deserve their reputation. All other things aside, the fact that AK variants are the weapon of choice for pretty much everyone who can't set up their own R&D and manufacturing lines speaks volumes. Cheap, reliable, sturdy. Plenty of myths, of course, but you find that in every corner of human experience.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #123504 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:37 pm »

Modern AK variants are every bit as good as the modern M16 variants. Well, provided they are manufactured to the same standards anyway.

Most AK style rifles nowadays use 5.45x39 ammo, so quite similar to what the M16 used (and still uses). The AN94 actually has some really cool features that no US rifle has, such as a hyper-burst fire. AK47s were obsolete over 40 years ago.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123505 on: June 21, 2017, 08:13:46 pm »

Spoiler: *sigh* (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123506 on: June 21, 2017, 09:14:05 pm »

Ahaha, you don't know the meaning of shit. That's only marginally worse than the best I can manage by hand, never mind using a stylus.

It's actually reached the point I'm not even trying to make my signature legible anymore. I've stopped trying to even make letters. It's just a line of loopy scribbles with some bits and bobs on it to fool people into thinking I'm trying to put a t or i or something down.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #123507 on: June 21, 2017, 09:41:38 pm »

I don't understand.

My handwriting is pretty bad, but I can at least make a signature that looks vaguely like my name.

Then again, all of my handwriting is in cursive, and saying that cursive handwriting can be difficult to read would probably qualify as some form of tautology or redundancy.

I'm also pretty young and grew up with electronics all around me, complete with keyboards and not drawing tablets.

My own WTF:

The creator was able to inform me of a (somewhat worrying) movement that I hadn't previously heard of, while still making an entertaining and interesting comic at the same time.

Corey Mohler kicks a lot of ass for someone who doesn't fight people for a living. Then again, given that there are many different kinds of fighting, maybe he/she(?) does fight daily.

The content of the comic (in particular the "Didn't get the joke?" section) may create the sort of discussion not entirely suited for the happy thread, so I've put it here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #123508 on: June 22, 2017, 01:51:08 am »

Ahaha, you don't know the meaning of shit. That's only marginally worse than the best I can manage by hand, never mind using a stylus.

It's actually reached the point I'm not even trying to make my signature legible anymore. I've stopped trying to even make letters. It's just a line of loopy scribbles with some bits and bobs on it to fool people into thinking I'm trying to put a t or i or something down.

A lot of our customers like to use singular scribbles for signatures on credit purchases. Some even go so far as to only use a straight line. Management insists this doesnt qualify as a signature and we have to demand more from them, but customers sometimes go apeshit if you say you need something more than a line. So the battle to not get ousted by management for not getting a good enough signature and not getting ousted by management for customer complaints for asking for a better signature goes on.

So fucking glad I no longer have to operate the cash registers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123509 on: June 22, 2017, 01:56:04 am »

Heh I guess I'm lucky.  Our credit card machines will actively reject a signature that's just a simple straight line.  I don't know the actual requirements in the coding but I get more than a few people who stare blankly at me for a few moments when I tell them it still wants a signature, before they realize that the machine is telling them to try again, this time with feeling.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 8232 8233 [8234] 8235 8236 ... 11037