Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8229 8230 [8231] 8232 8233 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520320 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123450 on: June 20, 2017, 03:09:25 pm »

Celsius is the only reasonable system to measure temperatures, because it clearly indicates the difference between "snow/ice" and "no snow/ice". Knowing this is a difference between life and death.
._.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123451 on: June 20, 2017, 03:17:15 pm »

Is it time for another unit of measurement debate?

Ugh.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123452 on: June 20, 2017, 03:23:45 pm »

Celcius and Fahrenheit both existing is of military importance. If we ever go to war with the US, it can be used as a quick friend or foe recognition, by asking the unidentified subject "whats the freezing point of water?".

The European will say "zero Celcius", the American will either say "32 Fahrenheit", or "no idea", or "it's huge".
Still have to find a way how to deal with us Dutch though, who'll say "it's the point at which water freezes".
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:26:17 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123453 on: June 20, 2017, 03:35:08 pm »

Celsius is the only reasonable system to measure temperatures, because it clearly indicates the difference between "snow/ice" and "no snow/ice". Knowing this is a difference between life and death.
This. In winter it is important to know whether the roads will be frozen over or not, for example.

Also humans are better at telling apart low numbers than high ones. We can compare 9 to 10 much faster than we can compare 99 to 100. Celsius definitely wins here, though I grant it's a small advantage. A practical application would be fever measurements: 37°C is normal, 38°C to 39°C is a normal fever, and anything above 40°C is a very good reason to see a doctor.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123454 on: June 20, 2017, 03:47:34 pm »

Also, goes around multiples of 10. That makes everything easier.

Plus, it even fits with US weather. I mean, San Diego gets to 100 Celsius every summer, or so I was told.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123455 on: June 20, 2017, 03:54:52 pm »

Damn imperialists and their farenheits.

... I'd like to import some of that cold tolerance, please. Just enough to not consider 15C cold.
Somehow I've retained my love of hot weather whilst also becoming so inured to the Winter of my new city that I have caught myself thinking of 12c as warm.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123457 on: June 20, 2017, 05:09:46 pm »

Also, goes around multiples of 10. That makes everything easier.

Celcius don't do that. Celcius is an arbitrary measurement system just like Fahrenheit--hell, it's literally Fahrenheit dressed up to pretend it's more "logical" by making there be 100 degrees between the boiling point and freezing point of water at 101.325 kilopascals instead of 180, you know, degrees. Why aren't they gradians celcius? Hell, some people even call it centigrade.

Kelvins are obviously the superior unit anyway.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #123458 on: June 20, 2017, 05:36:17 pm »

The European will say "zero Celcius", the American will either say "32 Fahrenheit", or "no idea", or "it's huge".

I'll take that in the context it was meant. I'll still be upset about what you implied about the average American's intellect, but I'll just leave it here rather than out in the open.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #123459 on: June 20, 2017, 05:41:51 pm »

"Factual answer." "Apathy." "Penis reference." Sounds about right?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123460 on: June 20, 2017, 06:02:54 pm »

Close. "factual answer", "poor quality of education (at least for the poor)", "Trump".
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123461 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:05 pm »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123462 on: June 20, 2017, 07:44:00 pm »

As someone who once read a book about determining the authenticity of "Nazi Regalia" as it's called by collectors, I'm familiar with these objects. Truthfully, I kind of feel rather disconnected with the article's moralizing about how horrible it is that these objects exist:

This decision to bring these pieces to the Holocaust Museum will put strong barriers against hatred and discrimination," according to Newsweek. "These facts show that the Holocaust did not end with the passage of time because there are people who try to keep this policy of death, discrimination and hatred alive."

An important thing to realize is that people who collect this stuff aren't Neo-Nazis or fascists. They're just collectors who find this stuff fascinating and want a piece of history they want to call their own. It does help that a lot of this stuff is typically very well made and pretty to look at.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123463 on: June 20, 2017, 08:21:47 pm »

Gimme all the nazi harmonicas so I can play SS marchiet in feindesland with them.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123464 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:52 pm »

Just saw an advertisement so disturbing that it has actually left me feeling somewhat, well, disturbed.
Granted, I saw it after it had been shared by a rival company for the express purpose of drawing attention to how fucked up it was and making them look better by comparison, but still.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 8229 8230 [8231] 8232 8233 ... 11037