Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8228 8229 [8230] 8231 8232 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520080 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123435 on: June 20, 2017, 09:00:04 am »

I was just teasing ya, but yeah, funny how climate change is stretching the definition of 'temperate' climate.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #123436 on: June 20, 2017, 09:22:48 am »

sunburns on your face are the worst.

it feels so tight, so it pulls.
its so sensitive, so it hurts to try to soothe it, talk, or smile.
its so obvious and borderline embarrassing
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123437 on: June 20, 2017, 10:01:21 am »

Not quite there yet I think. We still have some days in winter where maximum temp is below zero (although I can't remember if we had one this winter. We had frost at night, sure, but I can't quite recall if daily max dropped below zero. I think subtropical requires not a single day of frost during winter).

EDIT: I think we must have had some frost days. People have been iceskating on natural ice this winter.

EDIT2: Crap, it will get warmer. Newspaper says temperature will keep rising to max out on thursday. It will then be an official (regional) heatwave over here in the south.
It's also been extremely dry. Farmers in parts of the country have been forbidden since yesterday to water their crops because our canal systems are drying up to a degree where a further drop in water level would pose a problem for flora and fauna as well as for water management (our extensive system of water-raises and pumps that keeps our polders from being flooded by the ocean).

Be glad you don't live out in the desert or the American West away from the coast. In fact, my aunt moved from Phoenix to Idaho last year because she decided it was getting too dang hot (she had been living in Phoenix for many years before that). And of course, Death Valley is being Death Valley. It's still going to get pretty hot where I am inland, low 90s.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:04:13 am by smjjames »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123438 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:17 am »

Damn imperialists and their farenheits.

... I'd like to import some of that cold tolerance, please. Just enough to not consider 15C cold.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123439 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:32 am »

I'd like some of your heat tolerance in exchange. I'll start complaining about summer in general and summer in my city in particular when the thermometer starts pushing 28°C.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123440 on: June 20, 2017, 10:30:06 am »

I'd like some of your heat tolerance in exchange. I'll start complaining about summer in general and summer in my city in particular when the thermometer starts pushing 28°C.
You don't really know the meaning of summer if you haven't stayed from about mid-November to early April in the metropolitan region of Rio.

Seriously, I've had people from equatorial regions tell me its the hottest they've seen.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123441 on: June 20, 2017, 12:02:29 pm »

Not quite there yet I think. We still have some days in winter where maximum temp is below zero (although I can't remember if we had one this winter. We had frost at night, sure, but I can't quite recall if daily max dropped below zero. I think subtropical requires not a single day of frost during winter).

EDIT: I think we must have had some frost days. People have been iceskating on natural ice this winter.

EDIT2: Crap, it will get warmer. Newspaper says temperature will keep rising to max out on thursday. It will then be an official (regional) heatwave over here in the south.
It's also been extremely dry. Farmers in parts of the country have been forbidden since yesterday to water their crops because our canal systems are drying up to a degree where a further drop in water level would pose a problem for flora and fauna as well as for water management (our extensive system of water-raises and pumps that keeps our polders from being flooded by the ocean).

Be glad you don't live out in the desert or the American West away from the coast. In fact, my aunt moved from Phoenix to Idaho last year because she decided it was getting too dang hot (she had been living in Phoenix for many years before that). And of course, Death Valley is being Death Valley. It's still going to get pretty hot where I am inland, low 90s.
Having briefly lived in LA, I can tell you that 80 degrees out there is not so bad.  There's no humidity so it doesn't feel like much at all.  With a light breeze it would be downright pleasant.  Back in Maryland almost every year we'd have a few days that pushed past 100, which is fucking miserable because of the humidity.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #123442 on: June 20, 2017, 12:36:12 pm »

It is currently 77 in San Diego, so I am just going to feel bad for the rest of you. Not that it won't hit 100 here over the summer at some point.

It is currently 37 degrees in Point Barrow, Alaska right now. So, not all of NA is hot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123443 on: June 20, 2017, 12:45:55 pm »

It is currently 77 in San Diego, so I am just going to feel bad for the rest of you. Not that it won't hit 100 here over the summer at some point.

It is currently 37 degrees in Point Barrow, Alaska right now. So, not all of NA is hot.

You mean Celsius, of course
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #123444 on: June 20, 2017, 12:49:02 pm »

You mean Celsius, of course

Clearly. We all know how the fastest way to boil water in a San Diego summer is to set it outside.

In related news, I like to Jog late around the lake late, around 10-11 or so. 'Twas 92 degrees last time, and humid as a sauna in hell.

Felt like I'd been licked all over by Clifford after I was done.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123445 on: June 20, 2017, 12:59:31 pm »

Pfft Celsius.  I do like most of the metric system, don't get me wrong everything coming out to even 1000s is great.  But I really dislike Celsius.

Celsius does not have the advantage of the other metric measurements.  Water freezes at 0c.  Ok cool.  Except in practicality not all water the average person encounters on the regular freezes at 0c.  Seawater freezes at -2c.  Water in low pressure environments may not freeze at anything even remotely close to 0c.  And water in lab environments can freeze at basically whatever temperature the scientists want it to.  So that's pointless.  And water heated in something as ubiquitous as a microwave can easily exceed 100c without visibly boiling(before it explodes, don't try at home kids) and water on mars boils at temperatures where it should be frozen.  Celsius's main advantage is flat wrong in ways that average people AND scientists can encounter on the regular..

Fahrenheit has the advantage of being a more precise system before needing to go into decimal points.  And since neither system has any foundational merits, might as well use the one that at least has something going for it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:15:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123446 on: June 20, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »

Heat training is best training.

I prefer cold training to heat, but only just so.

My real love is actually running in squalls.  Or whatever passes for high rainfall storms in my region.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123447 on: June 20, 2017, 01:02:26 pm »

Also 0-100 in fahrenheit is roughly the range of temperatures that humans will usually encounter.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123448 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:40 pm »

That is coincidental to the system.

Higher and lower can be comfortably survived; especially when they are only seasonal or happen temporarily.  Like at night or in the dead of day
PKs DF Mod!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123449 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:51 pm »

Also 0-100 in fahrenheit is roughly the range of temperatures that humans will usually encounter.

That really depends, though. If you live in a nice coastal area, you could only see temperatures in the range of 70-100 and maybe extremes of 30 to 120. If you live where I do, the normal range is -20 to 90 over the course of the year with extremes of -30/-40 (note: do not go outside when it's like this) to 105.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 8228 8229 [8230] 8231 8232 ... 11037