Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8225 8226 [8227] 8228 8229 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520070 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123390 on: June 19, 2017, 09:35:16 am »

... well, you're getting closer, at least. Also I'm probably about to take a nap so whatever.

They didn't say what kind. Chain, plate, something else? With the normal extra layers or just the armor itself? Who the hell knows. Turns out the answer they were looking for was 50 lbs, so probably plate/field. Family that likes trying for it wanted me to look up the answer, and I was like. What. Did they say what sort of armor? No? Just "medieval"? The hell do you answer that besides picking something and guessing it was the one they were after?

The answer is you can't. Pick a number, see if it's what they want. You get one chance, hope you don't screw up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #123391 on: June 19, 2017, 09:43:49 am »

They said average weight, so obviously you do a weighted average of all known medieval armors in all types. Easy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123392 on: June 19, 2017, 09:47:05 am »

They almost certainly meant full suits of plate armour when they said medieval armour. You need to think "laymans terms" here. Average joe isn't asking whether you mean quilted cloth armour or a leather hauberk. They just mean "that shit the knights used to wear". Worrying about what they could possibly mean is overthinking things.

They said average weight, so obviously you do a weighted average of all known medieval armors in all types. Easy.

Yes ... but do we take the mean weight or the median weight? And how do we weight them? By type or by how many people wore them?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:55:07 am by Reelya »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #123393 on: June 19, 2017, 09:49:12 am »

I got to work this morning to discover a piece of plastic conduit laying in the freestalls. Some quick looking around showed its original purpose was protecting the now lacerated and disconnected wires running to the waterer. Luckily the waterer only needs power to run the deicer, so it's not something that needs to be fixed just right away.

Bastard bovines, can't keep their mouths off stuff. I like the taste of beef, but cattle can all die in fire.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #123394 on: June 19, 2017, 09:52:02 am »

Generally they die first before they get put into fires.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #123395 on: June 19, 2017, 10:14:31 am »

Generally its kinda wasteful to put your meat directly in the fire, rather than adjacent to it. Youre trying to cook it, not incinerate it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #123396 on: June 19, 2017, 10:22:50 am »

Generally its kinda wasteful to put your meat directly in the fire, rather than adjacent to it. Youre trying to cook it, not incinerate it.
I eat carcinogen like a real man, sissy.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123397 on: June 19, 2017, 12:13:20 pm »

... well, you're getting closer, at least. Also I'm probably about to take a nap so whatever.

They didn't say what kind. Chain, plate, something else? With the normal extra layers or just the armor itself? Who the hell knows. Turns out the answer they were looking for was 50 lbs, so probably plate/field. Family that likes trying for it wanted me to look up the answer, and I was like. What. Did they say what sort of armor? No? Just "medieval"? The hell do you answer that besides picking something and guessing it was the one they were after?

The answer is you can't. Pick a number, see if it's what they want. You get one chance, hope you don't screw up.
Eh, to be fair, when a layman is talking to another layman about "medieval armour" it's a very safe bet that they're talking about plate armour. Knight in Shining Armour kinda territory.

e: Damnit someone got to you first.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123398 on: June 19, 2017, 12:22:42 pm »

Eh, to be fair, when a layman is talking to another layman about "medieval armour" it's a very safe bet that they're talking about plate armour. Knight in Shining Armour kinda territory.

Even then, there's a lot of variation in those armours. Was it made of iron? Of steel? Was it made to be bulletproof? How big was the wearer (because they had to be custom-fitted)? It is a pretty bullshit question.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123399 on: June 19, 2017, 12:29:01 pm »

Clearly they meant the arithmetic mean of the weights of every outfit worn by anyone in the medieval period/area for protection in combat, weighted according to completion, time spent wearing them, and proximity to the geographical centre of Europe. It's not that hard.
One wheel short of a wagon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123400 on: June 19, 2017, 01:08:42 pm »

Slapped it in the ameripol thread, too, but still, bloody hell. Apparently the RNC decided it felt like nationalizing the majority of the sale of customer data industry. One of their data analysis type groups working during the previous election put just about everything except credit card and SSN on a publicly accessible cloud server, in a completely unsecured file. Approximately every single registered voter in the country (around 2/3rds the total population) now probably has most of their personal information floating around the internet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #123401 on: June 19, 2017, 01:30:15 pm »

Even then, there's a lot of variation in those armours. Was it made of iron? Of steel? Was it made to be bulletproof? How big was the wearer (because they had to be custom-fitted)? It is a pretty bullshit question.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have gone out of fashion so quickly if that was doable...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123402 on: June 19, 2017, 01:37:51 pm »

Early guns were weak. Well made armor could stop point blank pistol rounds.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #123403 on: June 19, 2017, 01:39:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have gone out of fashion so quickly if that was doable...

The Japanese absolutely did it, but I don't know of any Western Plate armors that were designed specifically to stand up to firearms.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123404 on: June 19, 2017, 01:40:21 pm »

Plate armor was relatively bulletproof, but not so much that 1 knight could take down ten riflemen (who were equipped an similar costs)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 8225 8226 [8227] 8228 8229 ... 11037