Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8195 8196 [8197] 8198 8199 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513998 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122940 on: June 07, 2017, 07:21:03 pm »

We were discussing dumb stuff before our tabletop game, and I brought up the hotdog/sandwich debate as a "haha, how do people argue about this".
Uh, yeah

Though we didn't argue hotdogs, but burritos and dumplings.  It was actually pretty crazy and lasted over half an hour before we all backed off.  WTF lol

Edit:  We made one perception check, and now we're discussing the origin of this stupid second definition of "literally".  noooooooo
Oh gods now it's the exact definition of Generation X SEND HELP
Just convince your DM a wisdom check should be made to end the debate.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #122941 on: June 07, 2017, 07:24:41 pm »

Indeed. But perma-ban? For what seemed to be fairly cool discussion by forum standards? If lagslayer were more insulting, violent, or nonsensical about it I'd understand more. What I saw looks suited to a slap on the wrist, not off-with-his-head.

I just looked through a few pages of his post history. He was indeed insulting, violent, and (YMMV) nonsensical.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122942 on: June 07, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »

I think the saddest thing about all of these bans is the fact that a lot of these guys were long time users. Somehow they managed to go for several years without causing any trouble and then all of a sudden *BAM* everyone wants to hit you with the banhammer.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122943 on: June 07, 2017, 07:32:52 pm »

We were discussing dumb stuff before our tabletop game, and I brought up the hotdog/sandwich debate as a "haha, how do people argue about this".
Uh, yeah

Though we didn't argue hotdogs, but burritos and dumplings.  It was actually pretty crazy and lasted over half an hour before we all backed off.  WTF lol

Edit:  We made one perception check, and now we're discussing the origin of this stupid second definition of "literally".  noooooooo
Oh gods now it's the exact definition of Generation X SEND HELP
a pop tart is a sandwich
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122944 on: June 07, 2017, 07:35:14 pm »

been watching Highlander series in my spare time before bed.

my thoughts go from 'wtf is this cheesy trash' to 'its a neat idea'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122945 on: June 07, 2017, 08:05:20 pm »

I'm gonna be honest, I'm happy Toady banned him for blatant white-supremacist speech and genocide mongering.

Like, that's not an "honest political discussion." You don't get to *have* an "honest political discussion" about advocating mass murder.

That shit is intolerable, regardless of how dressed up and "civil" the form it wears is.

Edit: And I'm a little disappointed that this is seemingly a controversial statement?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:07:33 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122946 on: June 07, 2017, 08:13:38 pm »

Your post isn't a controversial statement, don't know what you're talking about descan.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122947 on: June 07, 2017, 08:14:20 pm »

im not touching this debate with a ten and a half foot pole used to poke a crocodile, but

there are a significant portion of people who think things
therefore it is a poor value judgement to dismiss it offhand
if we are free to discourse than a rigid value system put onto morality is flat wrong...

not my site.
not my rules.
but i could swear ive heard people here argue that religious values were rigid and worthless onsite.

I'm amazed at how people cant just ignore him though.  he wasnt badgering people, ... was he?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122948 on: June 07, 2017, 08:17:08 pm »

I'm gonna be honest, I'm happy Toady banned him for blatant white-supremacist speech and genocide mongering.

Like, that's not an "honest political discussion." You don't get to *have* an "honest political discussion" about advocating mass murder.

That shit is intolerable, regardless of how dressed up and "civil" the form it wears is.

Edit: And I'm a little disappointed that this is seemingly a controversial statement?

Yeah, Lagslayer went way too far there. Not the first time he's done that sort of stuff either--he seemed perfectly to let people be murdered, or  to advocate for them to be murdered if they happened to be the wrong kind of people.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122949 on: June 07, 2017, 08:18:35 pm »

@pisskop: It was the whole advocating genocide as a solution, you can't 'just ignore' that kind of thing.

@wolfhunter: Not to mention some pretty blatantly racist attitudes.

I'm sure we all want to move on to some other topic, so.......
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:31:22 pm by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122950 on: June 07, 2017, 10:30:44 pm »

My phone rings at 530 this morning, waking me up on my day off. I stumble over to answer it, and am greeted with a female voice whispering very sexual statments. I am not entirely sure if it was a real person or some sort of prank-bot (as it is possible that my muddled responses seemed like playing along), and if it weren't for the fact that when I got up this afternoon my mouse was on the floor (my landline phone sits on my computer desk) where I knocked it over answering the damn thing I'd think that I dreamed the entire incident.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #122951 on: June 07, 2017, 10:41:59 pm »

im not touching this debate with a ten and a half foot pole used to poke a crocodile, but

there are a significant portion of people who think things
therefore it is a poor value judgement to dismiss it offhand
if we are free to discourse than a rigid value system put onto morality is flat wrong...

not my site.
not my rules.
but i could swear ive heard people here argue that religious values were rigid and worthless onsite.

I'm amazed at how people cant just ignore him though.  he wasnt badgering people, ... was he?
I don't see why the number of people that believe something matters.  Millions of Americans still believe that Obama is a secret Muslim or he wasn't born in the US.  If someone walks up to you and is like "Rick Santorum is a deep cover Buddhist", and they genuinely believe this but they're the only one.  Is that idea any less respectable than the Muslim story?  No, it isn't.  They're equally respectable theories, which is not at all.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #122952 on: June 07, 2017, 11:15:37 pm »

I don't see why the number of people that believe something matters.  Millions of Americans still believe that Obama is a secret Muslim or he wasn't born in the US.  If someone walks up to you and is like "Rick Santorum is a deep cover Buddhist", and they genuinely believe this but they're the only one.  Is that idea any less respectable than the Muslim story?  No, it isn't.  They're equally respectable theories, which is not at all.
I agree, but I have unrelated disagreements which are not appropriate to this thread.

Instead, our wtf should be the concept of Rick Santorum as some sort of self-hating Buddhist.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #122953 on: June 07, 2017, 11:20:11 pm »

MGSV: TPP has made me feel especially bad about killing enemies.

Whenever I do wind up killing in other video games, I always wonder what it feels like to be on the receiving end.

Then, five minutes (or seconds) later I do it again. And again. Ultimately my guilt is overcome in favor of more bloodshed.

In The Phantom Pain it's different. Not only is killing kind of against my interest (the bulk of my staff comes from Fultoning enemy troops), the enemies here feel much more alive than in other games. They chat, they stare and wonder at unusual sightings, and they overall seem a lot more like actual people than other video game enemies.

The act of killing itself also makes me feel like an asshole. The sound of someone's brains being blown out is not exactly the most attractive thing in the game. When an enemy discovers the aftermath his reaction reminds me that I just killed his colleague, maybe his friend. I haven't had an enemy discover someone who's critically wounded but I don't think the reaction will be any better.

The fact that I pick Fulton targets based on their stats means that I often leave a bunch of people behind who have to clean up/explain the stolen resources, the missing troops, and, if I go lethal, the bodies. If I decide to leave no witnesses, I'm either taking on extra men who will get dismissed anyway to clear up the waiting room, of I'm killing people just because their stats weren't good enough.

This game has left me wondering whether to ask "What the hell is wrong with me now?" or "What the hells been wrong with me this whole time?"

No other game has made me do that, and I guess that means Kojima and the other developers did a good job.

It's a great game by the way, not least because it can run even on a crappy laptop like mine.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:36:59 am by AzyWng »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122954 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:02 pm »

Never disputed the ban (think that was his plan anyway), just arguing that it still counted as "political discourse".
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 8195 8196 [8197] 8198 8199 ... 11037