Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8085 8086 [8087] 8088 8089 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442578 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121290 on: April 24, 2017, 06:24:11 pm »

So, over the past couple weeks my neighborhood has hired a company to drill a well in order to get some of that nice aquifer water to refill the small lake in the center of the neighborhood, which is otherwise only refilled by rainwater. They expected to hit water around 200 feet down, so they budgeted for 400 to be safe. Want to guess where the water was? 900 feet!
And now the HOA wants to get a company to frack this small well so they can have a pretty pretty lake with more water than it's got now. I find this ironic because in order to do this they're going to have to truck in water to use in the fracking, so that they can have more water, all in the midst of some water use restrictions due to low rainfall and such as of late

But wait! There's more! The well they've been digging is directly in front of my family's house, about 25 meters away from our front door, in between the main road and the neighborhood's road which is in front of our home and there aren't any others within a similar distance. Which kind of sucks, because fracking can cause sinkholes and other issues and we'll be right there if anything goes wrong. And since no one else thinks they're close enough to be affected it might probably happen?

Essentially: the heck, HOA?

woah... thats some next level fuked up stuff. Could you go over their heads with anything? I don't know if there is any regulations on fracking or whatnot, but if you could bog them down in red tape they might give up? Idk, just spitballing here..

still... that sucks.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121291 on: April 24, 2017, 07:40:11 pm »

Lightning Spear. Dragons are weak to the power of sunlight.
Not sure all dragons are so... (check my sig)

If you are well-lit enough by moonlight that it is part of your name then you are, by definition, not a shadow.

::) I don't trust you and your shifty sun-talk. I think you are weak to sunlight and trying to hide it, like a Dracula.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121292 on: April 24, 2017, 07:43:24 pm »

Now, what did I just say about mary sues?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #121293 on: April 24, 2017, 09:55:43 pm »

I'm...unsure where to inquire about this. The better place seems to be the Computer Advice thread but it applies to the forum instead: Lately, I've been getting 'unsecure' connection warnings whenever I login to Bay12. "Connection is not secure" or otherwise. This, in memory, hasn't happened lately from the past months and I believe it's a recent thing. :-\

I'm always so curious about why emulators require so much backend.[...]
Backend?
Is that the wrong word?
It's the correct word. English isn't Tir's first language, and we're getting into obscure sections of it and its technobabble.

Backend refers to how the effort and computer resources are used behind the scenes in order to make something work.  It specifically refers to the parts a normal user can't see.
Heeeey :P I love you dudes but English is actually my first language alongside the national language (Filipino), it just so happens that a combination of bullying = lower social skill experience (but retained passion for language and linguistics), so I may be messy in my words sometimes; my mind, however, is very organized in thought :3
I would love guidance in bettering my semantics however--I also love that many people here on Bay12 noticed that about me, in writing and otherwise ♥

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121294 on: April 24, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »

So, over the past couple weeks my neighborhood has hired a company to drill a well in order to get some of that nice aquifer water to refill the small lake in the center of the neighborhood, which is otherwise only refilled by rainwater. They expected to hit water around 200 feet down, so they budgeted for 400 to be safe. Want to guess where the water was? 900 feet!
And now the HOA wants to get a company to frack this small well so they can have a pretty pretty lake with more water than it's got now. I find this ironic because in order to do this they're going to have to truck in water to use in the fracking, so that they can have more water, all in the midst of some water use restrictions due to low rainfall and such as of late

But wait! There's more! The well they've been digging is directly in front of my family's house, about 25 meters away from our front door, in between the main road and the neighborhood's road which is in front of our home and there aren't any others within a similar distance. Which kind of sucks, because fracking can cause sinkholes and other issues and we'll be right there if anything goes wrong. And since no one else thinks they're close enough to be affected it might probably happen?

Essentially: the heck, HOA?

Where is this? California? lol.

Also, if the aquifer you're expecting to be at a certain level is a whole lot further down, then you've got problems.

Either 1. Their math is WAY off. or 2. If their reasoning is sound, solid, and accurate, what does finding the aquifer way down there tell you?

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #121295 on: April 24, 2017, 10:39:05 pm »

Well the aquifers in this area tend to be confined and its not the easiest to get water out of (most of the water is contained within cracks in the rock and stuff below ground, i forget what it's called particularly) and its entirely possible that its within a cone of depression, but that's just speculation in this instance - i dont have any local geological surveys or any other data on nearby wells present lol, ofc I'm not entirely sure they did either? so

Anyways I'm sure they have to contact the county or city or whomever to get the right permissions and hopefully bureaucratic nonsense will slow them down enough that I can graduate and be out of here before the street gets a few feet lower ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Coincidentally not California, just an east coast suburbia lmao

Maybe I should email the HOA with some helpful tips from DF regarding aquifers?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #121296 on: April 24, 2017, 11:59:09 pm »

I have no idea how to get Survival Crisis Z to not lag out when more than five zombies are on-screen (to say nothing of shooting the zombies), but since the game is relatively obscure there's basically nothing about it outside of the blog post saying it's available and a forum post detailing a fix to make it run on Windows 10/newer Windows operating systems.

I try searching on Youtube only to find that the most recent video about the game (in early-ish 2015 or so) runs just fine.

This is probably one of the first times I've felt actual jealousy over a video game.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121297 on: April 25, 2017, 02:10:31 am »

I'm...unsure where to inquire about this. The better place seems to be the Computer Advice thread but it applies to the forum instead: Lately, I've been getting 'unsecure' connection warnings whenever I login to Bay12. "Connection is not secure" or otherwise. This, in memory, hasn't happened lately from the past months and I believe it's a recent thing. :-\

I'm always so curious about why emulators require so much backend.[...]
Backend?
Is that the wrong word?
It's the correct word. English isn't Tir's first language, and we're getting into obscure sections of it and its technobabble.

Backend refers to how the effort and computer resources are used behind the scenes in order to make something work.  It specifically refers to the parts a normal user can't see.
Heeeey :P I love you dudes but English is actually my first language alongside the national language (Filipino), it just so happens that a combination of bullying = lower social skill experience (but retained passion for language and linguistics), so I may be messy in my words sometimes; my mind, however, is very organized in thought :3
I would love guidance in bettering my semantics however--I also love that many people here on Bay12 noticed that about me, in writing and otherwise ♥

Many websites have made a switch en-mass to encrypted https traffic. (HTTP encrypted with SSL encryption). The browser will tell you that the site you are going to is not secure, if you are navigating to it from a site that is secure. Bay12 does not use https, and is thus not secured with ssl encryption. (means the feds can snoop your browsing data in real time if they really really wanted.)

The purpose of this warning is for cross-site man in the middle attacks, aimed at getting a user to think they are still accessing a secure site (like their bank's), when in fact, they are accessing an insecure middle man (the hacker's almost perfect copy of the bank's website), so the hacker can collect their login credentials, and then access the real site with them, and make money transfers and the like.  Basically, The browser is saying "Hey yo! If you did not know, you have left that secure site you were just on! Don't go putting in secret detailed things like your bank account, ok!?"

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #121298 on: April 25, 2017, 10:53:00 am »

I just got a bug in Rome: Total War 1, Praetorian Cohort got stuck after they delivered the siege tower to the city walls. They just were running circles around the siege tower, while the other Praetorian Cohort successfully delivered and assaulted the walls with ease. At least I successfully conquered the city from Julii.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121299 on: April 25, 2017, 03:49:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The internet is a place where wasting a lifetime ironically and wasting a lifetime unironically means

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121300 on: April 25, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »

Godel's Incompleteness theorem.

Or rather, the lack of a helpful and basic guide. Looking up what stuff means is taking a while, and there are so many versions...
One wheel short of a wagon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #121301 on: April 25, 2017, 04:32:16 pm »

Personal WTF: I just realized that I had written around 4.5k words for a summary of a Crusader Kings II nation from the After the End mod as a prologue to a story where I have everything within its borders essentially teleported to a monster girl hentai visual novel for the express purpose of wrecking the world.  Secondary WTF is that I managed to write it up in under two days.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121302 on: April 25, 2017, 04:50:15 pm »

Been dealing with stupid crap since 4:30 this morning, and hasn't stopped all day since. My step-uncle is claiming that when he bought something online, the company he was buying from "hacked" his account, and charged him for the same thing several times. Most likely guess is he refreshed the page several times causing it to be charged each time. Anyway, he's canceled his card and it won't be until May 2(aaallllll the way next week from now) until he get access to his money again. Oh, and he comes into the house at 4:30AM to talk to my stepdad about it.

And like I said, the stupid crap didn't stop there.

Personal WTF: I just realized that I had written around 4.5k words for a summary of a Crusader Kings II nation from the After the End mod as a prologue to a story where I have everything within its borders essentially teleported to a monster girl hentai visual novel for the express purpose of wrecking the world.  Secondary WTF is that I managed to write it up in under two days.

I am... intrigued.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #121303 on: April 25, 2017, 05:24:20 pm »

I am... intrigued.

I don't know if it would be safe to post a link to due to rule six of the forum guidelines, despite the fact I am not going to really go into the sexual material as the forum it is posted on has similar rules to this one.  I think it might be fine to link, but I'll probably only send it via PM if anyone wants the link.  Though I have to ask, would it intrigue you more or less to find out the King is a eunuch with only four daughters, and the primary religion is akin to the Adeptus Mechanicus, with a holy order based off of the Brotherhood of Steel?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121304 on: April 25, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »

MORE
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 8085 8086 [8087] 8088 8089 ... 11040