Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8046 8047 [8048] 8049 8050 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547497 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120705 on: April 11, 2017, 05:31:49 pm »

I wonder how long I'd have to abstain from Bay 12 to lose my 2nd place slot for overall time...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120706 on: April 11, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »

In the film .... In the film
Sooooo, which one is actually from the book?
The second. I rearranged what I was saying halfway through, and made an editing goof.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #120707 on: April 11, 2017, 06:10:40 pm »

I wonder how long I'd have to abstain from Bay 12 to lose my 2nd place slot for overall time...

That makes me curious. What is everybody's overall time logged in?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120708 on: April 11, 2017, 06:16:57 pm »

This reminds me how oddly interesting the starship troopers movie was.
The whole movie was played like a propaganda thing, they took the JOINING THE MILITARY AND TAKING PART IN THE INCREDIBLE GRINDER THAT IS THIS WAR IN WHICH TENS OF THOUSANDS DIE IN EVERY DAY IS THE BEST THING EVER and ran with it, completely straight. In no part of the movie do we get hints of real attempts at social critique or getting some moral point across, its just alien murder + college student friends movie. In the end, the characters become military officer badasses and its all shown as the best thing ever.

All those people that died? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Children holding guns in military ads? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Main character became exactly what his jingoistic sargeant was? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.

Its the kind of movie that you can watch again as an adult and apreciate how nutty it all is.

A shame, too, because it's on the whole much less interesting than the novel. That's how pretty much all of Heinlein's work was, interesting to consider even if you didn't necessarily buy what he was selling (free love and pseudolibertarianism, mostly). Certainly the Arachnids as described in Starship Troopers were more intriguing than the Zerg/Nid knockoffs from the films (and heaven help you if you watch the second or third). Not to mention MI being in power armor described (IIRC) as like a "hydrocephaletic gorilla" with pocket nukes and bombs that taunted the enemy in their own language. Pretty much no slugthrowers at all, either, just lots of flamethrowers and explosives.

Not to mention that, AFAIK, Heinlein bears prime responsibility for inventing the idea of drop-pods right alongside power-armored space marines. The whole thing is basically the starting point for a good chunk of the standard mil-SF fare that we assume as standard these days. It's a crying shame that the film gave us dudes in plastic costume carapace armor with generic grey brick rifles and bugs shaped like giant staple removers.

That, and dumbing down the training incidents. Went from one guy getting flogged for hitting a DI, another being hanged for going AWOL and murdering a kid, and Rico getting flogged for fucking up the handling of a simulated nuke(!) to "whoops Rico let a guy onto the live fire course with a loose helmet strap" (never mind that they were doing a live fire course with shitty partial armor-an inch lower and the helmet being off wouldn't have mattered anyways-or that in the novel one of the things they went out of the way to avoid was trainee deaths instead of embracing grimderp).

Enough of that ranting though.

There's a reason for all of that. Originally, it was from an entirely unrelated script called "Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine", but then they licensed the Starship Troopers name. Not kidding.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120709 on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:28 pm »

Are we doing this again? We're doing this again, aren't we.

Total time logged in: 216 days, 12 hours and 52 minutes.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120710 on: April 11, 2017, 06:18:54 pm »

Pfft, what is with that lightweight shit?

Total time logged in: 224 days, 15 hours and 22 minutes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120711 on: April 11, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »

This reminds me how oddly interesting the starship troopers movie was.
The whole movie was played like a propaganda thing, they took the JOINING THE MILITARY AND TAKING PART IN THE INCREDIBLE GRINDER THAT IS THIS WAR IN WHICH TENS OF THOUSANDS DIE IN EVERY DAY IS THE BEST THING EVER and ran with it, completely straight. In no part of the movie do we get hints of real attempts at social critique or getting some moral point across, its just alien murder + college student friends movie. In the end, the characters become military officer badasses and its all shown as the best thing ever.

All those people that died? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Children holding guns in military ads? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Main character became exactly what his jingoistic sargeant was? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.

Its the kind of movie that you can watch again as an adult and apreciate how nutty it all is.

A shame, too, because it's on the whole much less interesting than the novel. That's how pretty much all of Heinlein's work was, interesting to consider even if you didn't necessarily buy what he was selling (free love and pseudolibertarianism, mostly). Certainly the Arachnids as described in Starship Troopers were more intriguing than the Zerg/Nid knockoffs from the films (and heaven help you if you watch the second or third). Not to mention MI being in power armor described (IIRC) as like a "hydrocephaletic gorilla" with pocket nukes and bombs that taunted the enemy in their own language. Pretty much no slugthrowers at all, either, just lots of flamethrowers and explosives.

Not to mention that, AFAIK, Heinlein bears prime responsibility for inventing the idea of drop-pods right alongside power-armored space marines. The whole thing is basically the starting point for a good chunk of the standard mil-SF fare that we assume as standard these days. It's a crying shame that the film gave us dudes in plastic costume carapace armor with generic grey brick rifles and bugs shaped like giant staple removers.

That, and dumbing down the training incidents. Went from one guy getting flogged for hitting a DI, another being hanged for going AWOL and murdering a kid, and Rico getting flogged for fucking up the handling of a simulated nuke(!) to "whoops Rico let a guy onto the live fire course with a loose helmet strap" (never mind that they were doing a live fire course with shitty partial armor-an inch lower and the helmet being off wouldn't have mattered anyways-or that in the novel one of the things they went out of the way to avoid was trainee deaths instead of embracing grimderp).

Enough of that ranting though.

There's a reason for all of that. Originally, it was written and under production as a completely unrelated film called "Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine", but then they licensed the Starship Troopers name. Not kidding.

Followed by Verhoeven reading about a third of the book and deciding it was "fascist trash" and discarding it.

Honestly, if there was ever a director that only had one or two good movies in him, Verhoeven was him.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120712 on: April 11, 2017, 06:23:26 pm »

Huh. Login time got me to check the rankings for the first time in a while. Pretty sure I've gone up one or two. Seem to recall it was either 8th or 10th, last I checked, and apparently it's hit 6th.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #120713 on: April 11, 2017, 06:23:44 pm »

The snow isn't even done melting yet and it was fucking 80F outside today.

G L O B A L  W A R M I N G.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120714 on: April 11, 2017, 06:24:58 pm »

tal Time Spent Online:177 days, 23 hours and 14 minutes
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120715 on: April 11, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »

Eleven hours away from 69 days.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120716 on: April 11, 2017, 06:33:32 pm »

Where can said ranking be checked? nvm, found them. Too bad they don't go below 10th.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:35:57 pm by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #120717 on: April 11, 2017, 06:47:33 pm »

The snow isn't even done melting yet and it was fucking 80F outside today.

G L O B A L  W A R M I N G.
global warming doesnt alter the temperatures at which ice melts you clownhole.
:p

and when snow melts and refreezes it forms a protective layer of insulation for the snow underneath
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #120718 on: April 11, 2017, 06:48:56 pm »

>.>
<.<

Total time logged in: 345 days, 14 hours and 0 minutes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120719 on: April 11, 2017, 06:54:46 pm »

446 days and counting v-(O_o)-v
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8046 8047 [8048] 8049 8050 ... 11038