Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8045 8046 [8047] 8048 8049 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14546704 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120690 on: April 11, 2017, 01:56:15 pm »

Sad!
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #120691 on: April 11, 2017, 02:37:10 pm »

Oh, we're talking about people who disappeared? For starters, the fine person quoted in my sig logs on very sporadically, unfortunately. ...And I missed their birthday again, dammit :c

Oh, I haven't seen My Name is Immaterial around a lot recently, although he seems to have logged on relatively often. I also recall TamerVirus, that guy who had like a million businessmen in his avatar rotator. Hasn't logged on in almost a year now.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120692 on: April 11, 2017, 02:53:51 pm »

I kinda miss kaijyuu. Haven't seen them around in a long time.

Also Max White, he of the headbanging guitar-playing lizard.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #120693 on: April 11, 2017, 03:02:06 pm »

GreatWrymGold.

Great he was. May he ban in peace.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120694 on: April 11, 2017, 03:04:33 pm »

Also Max White, he of the headbanging guitar-playing lizard.

The great furry person can be ocasionaly found in the bay12IRC

I also miss the other furry person with the weird pink dog avatar thing.

Curse this forum, making me miss furries.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:07:02 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120695 on: April 11, 2017, 03:15:32 pm »

Does anybody else remember NW_Kohaku from his great suggestion threads?
I remember being extremely annoyed at their suggestion threads, yes.
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120696 on: April 11, 2017, 03:18:55 pm »

GreatWrymGold.

Great he was. May he ban in peace.

He (or somebody with his name and a good chunck of his attitude) is still active on Giant In The Playground. Bohandas is there as well, which is surprising since he's come close to some of the same lines he crossed here, and that forum has an extremely strict moderation policy in the deluded belief that banning as many controversial topics as possible will prevent arguments.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #120697 on: April 11, 2017, 04:22:52 pm »

I rise from the ashen depths to say....

Hi!

I keep telling people I'm not a furry, I just like their pron.

*goes back to lurking on bay12lb*
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #120698 on: April 11, 2017, 04:33:28 pm »

This reminds me how oddly interesting the starship troopers movie was.
The whole movie was played like a propaganda thing, they took the JOINING THE MILITARY AND TAKING PART IN THE INCREDIBLE GRINDER THAT IS THIS WAR IN WHICH TENS OF THOUSANDS DIE IN EVERY DAY IS THE BEST THING EVER and ran with it, completely straight. In no part of the movie do we get hints of real attempts at social critique or getting some moral point across, its just alien murder + college student friends movie. In the end, the characters become military officer badasses and its all shown as the best thing ever.

All those people that died? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Children holding guns in military ads? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Main character became exactly what his jingoistic sargeant was? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.

Its the kind of movie that you can watch again as an adult and apreciate how nutty it all is.

A shame, too, because it's on the whole much less interesting than the novel. That's how pretty much all of Heinlein's work was, interesting to consider even if you didn't necessarily buy what he was selling (free love and pseudolibertarianism, mostly). Certainly the Arachnids as described in Starship Troopers were more intriguing than the Zerg/Nid knockoffs from the films (and heaven help you if you watch the second or third). Not to mention MI being in power armor described (IIRC) as like a "hydrocephaletic gorilla" with pocket nukes and bombs that taunted the enemy in their own language. Pretty much no slugthrowers at all, either, just lots of flamethrowers and explosives.

Not to mention that, AFAIK, Heinlein bears prime responsibility for inventing the idea of drop-pods right alongside power-armored space marines. The whole thing is basically the starting point for a good chunk of the standard mil-SF fare that we assume as standard these days. It's a crying shame that the film gave us dudes in plastic costume carapace armor with generic grey brick rifles and bugs shaped like giant staple removers.

That, and dumbing down the training incidents. Went from one guy getting flogged for hitting a DI, another being hanged for going AWOL and murdering a kid, and Rico getting flogged for fucking up the handling of a simulated nuke(!) to "whoops Rico let a guy onto the live fire course with a loose helmet strap" (never mind that they were doing a live fire course with shitty partial armor-an inch lower and the helmet being off wouldn't have mattered anyways-or that in the novel one of the things they went out of the way to avoid was trainee deaths instead of embracing grimderp).

Enough of that ranting though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120699 on: April 11, 2017, 04:44:11 pm »

I rise from the ashen depths to say....

Hi!

I keep telling people I'm not a furry, I just like their pron.

*goes back to lurking on bay12lb*

Why, furfriendery is alive and well in the Twelve Bays, for I am here.

Pray tell, possible hater and dramaticite there in the aether, what shall you do? Gas me? I would advise against it, it is considered terribly poor form these days, and may lead to tomahawks featuring in the weather forecast.

Right, close the hatches, dive to lurk-depth, herr Schmidt.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120700 on: April 11, 2017, 04:48:16 pm »

Holy shit I'm a summoner.

Where's my eidolon, dammit?

Hi kaijyuu! Glad you're still around, sort of.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120701 on: April 11, 2017, 04:51:29 pm »

*Adds more people to the flamethrower list*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120702 on: April 11, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »

This reminds me how oddly interesting the starship troopers movie was.
The whole movie was played like a propaganda thing, they took the JOINING THE MILITARY AND TAKING PART IN THE INCREDIBLE GRINDER THAT IS THIS WAR IN WHICH TENS OF THOUSANDS DIE IN EVERY DAY IS THE BEST THING EVER and ran with it, completely straight. In no part of the movie do we get hints of real attempts at social critique or getting some moral point across, its just alien murder + college student friends movie. In the end, the characters become military officer badasses and its all shown as the best thing ever.

All those people that died? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Children holding guns in military ads? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.
Main character became exactly what his jingoistic sargeant was? Nobody cares, aliens are dead.

Its the kind of movie that you can watch again as an adult and apreciate how nutty it all is.

A shame, too, because it's on the whole much less interesting than the novel. That's how pretty much all of Heinlein's work was, interesting to consider even if you didn't necessarily buy what he was selling (free love and pseudolibertarianism, mostly). Certainly the Arachnids as described in Starship Troopers were more intriguing than the Zerg/Nid knockoffs from the films (and heaven help you if you watch the second or third). Not to mention MI being in power armor described (IIRC) as like a "hydrocephaletic gorilla" with pocket nukes and bombs that taunted the enemy in their own language. Pretty much no slugthrowers at all, either, just lots of flamethrowers and explosives.

Not to mention that, AFAIK, Heinlein bears prime responsibility for inventing the idea of drop-pods right alongside power-armored space marines. The whole thing is basically the starting point for a good chunk of the standard mil-SF fare that we assume as standard these days. It's a crying shame that the film gave us dudes in plastic costume carapace armor with generic grey brick rifles and bugs shaped like giant staple removers.

That, and dumbing down the training incidents. Went from one guy getting flogged for hitting a DI, another being hanged for going AWOL and murdering a kid, and Rico getting flogged for fucking up the handling of a simulated nuke(!) to "whoops Rico let a guy onto the live fire course with a loose helmet strap" (never mind that they were doing a live fire course with shitty partial armor-an inch lower and the helmet being off wouldn't have mattered anyways-or that in the novel one of the things they went out of the way to avoid was trainee deaths instead of embracing grimderp).

Enough of that ranting though.

I think the best contrast between the book and film is a scene that appears in both, the guy outside the recruiting station. In both versions, he's lost most of his limbs and had them replaced with crude (by sci-fi standards) prosthetics. In the film, he's super gung-ho, and very much comes across as a "we can't get any other use out of you, but you're still good for something" situation. In the book, the crudeness of his prosthetics is a deliberate plot point - all of his good ones are taken away, and his entire purpose is to show recruits exactly what might happen to them, for the purpose of scaring recruits away.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:33:00 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120703 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:04 pm »

In the film .... In the film
Sooooo, which one is actually from the book?
._.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120704 on: April 11, 2017, 05:29:20 pm »

And Pathos. Lets not forget Pathos
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 8045 8046 [8047] 8048 8049 ... 11038