Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8034 8035 [8036] 8037 8038 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14543720 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120525 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:48 am »

The problem is, those mechanisms, they're not there.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120526 on: April 06, 2017, 08:29:58 am »

READ THE FULL POST YOU EXTRA LARGE AQUATIC ANIMAL

Also.
a complete dumbass or someone hellbelt

I have now accidently spawned a new brand of extra dimensional fashion.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120527 on: April 06, 2017, 08:59:45 am »

But thats why you employ things such as body cams, proper training, periodical psych evaluations, etc. People who work in security and are armed for that end need that sort of structure, after all, they're just people, so there needs to be safeguards against their misbehavior. When someone trusted with that kind of onus fucks up, intentionaly or not, there needs to be swift and strong mechanisms to deal with that, something thats not always present.
Often not present. The nature of police unions and departments has meant that punitive or corrective measures are rarely taken and even more rarely of such a nature that they look like actual substantiative measures to the public that gets years of mandatory jail time for transgressions that aren't nearly as severe. We've been trusting cops to police their own for a long time, and it's been made increasingly obvious that trust was misplaced at worst and entirely too lenient at best.

And yet, these cases get a fuckhuge coverage, meaning everyone gets that image of cops imprinted into their skull cavity, thus creating a general feeling of tension in cop x civilian situations.
They get fuckhuge coverage because both the police and judicial system protect that minority to the point of what looks to anyone sane like outright maliciousness. The minority that actually performs the actions are only a minority of the problem; the mechanisms and culture that protects them is the primary issue. The cop that shoots someone trying to surrender or knocked unconscious or is unarmed or [insert continuing list] is more a symptom, and as near as the public can tell the cause of it is barely treated when it's acknowledged at all.

Having to shoot a perp that attacked you nowadays is good recipe for social suicide, so cops start to come up with MORE reasons to justify their actions, which can lead to rather shady situations.
This, however, is largely untrue. We've seen repeatedly that things like bodycams and whatnot (even purely social measures, such as instituting third party watchdogs) cut the reasons given to justify their actions, or reduce their actions entirely. Scrutiny isn't causing bad behavior, it's exposing what was already there -- and it's strongly suggested by practical implementations that more scrutiny would cut down on that, not make cops more inventive about finding excuses to get away with killing or maiming people.

Its a vicious cycle in which cops are only one of the factors, and not even the driving one.
It's a vicious cycle, but it's absolutely the police and judicial system that are driving it, and has been since the start. Media and awareness has catalyzed things so it's actually being noticed as a problem by more than particularly abused communities, but the problem damn sure isn't being largely invented. If the blue line wasn't so insistent and cops didn't get more legal largess in court than a bloody saint, there wouldn't be much to drive. But it is and they do, and until that stops there's little chance the public reaction to that is going to do anything but become worse.

Though it's still got a long damn way to go before it even gets bad, mind you. We'll hit that point around the time officer testimony in a court isn't given extra weight and legitimacy, and that's still a ways off.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120528 on: April 06, 2017, 10:04:17 am »

I do not disagree with you that there needs to be greater supervision and better mechanisms for dealing with police misbehavior. I do, however, disagree with this perceived "maliciousness" of the police and the judicial system, and I do not disagree with the fact that an officer's testimony is endowed with greater legitimacy and weight in the court.

One does need to know much about security work to know that police officers are far more exposed to violence and criminal behavior than any other professional group, by virtue of their line of work. Because of the nature of their work and the dangers they're exposed to, these people need extra protection from the law. You can't give someone a task without training them properly, empowering them with the means to perform said task or giving them protection from the expected harmful effects of such task.

Equals should be treated equally and unequals unequally, in proportion to their inequality.

In the case of police officers, these things manifest as the power to use force and the greater weight of their testimony in court, as they're trained and disciplined for such ends (hopefuly?), for the reasons already stated above. Take this example, for instance: you're a police officer attending to a situation involving a drugged up adolescent causing trouble in the middle of the night, you try to arrest him before he harms someone, but he attacks you and you shoot him in self defense and he dies. Said adolescent lived in that community for his whole life.
Now, tell me, without using the extra legitimacy of his testimony, how will this officer defend himself on court? Where will he find witnesses to point out that, during that exact moment, in the dark of the night, he acted according to every rule and law created to guide his actions in these situations? Will the local population jump to his defense, after seeing one of their community members bleeding on the concrete? Will they admit that the adolescent was in the wrong and a danger to himself and others, or will they react in the usual emotional and often irrational way?

We should not treat police officers as saints or heroes only due to the nature of their work, but neither should we expect sainthood from the general public. But the general public, under normal conditions, isn't subjected to the same conditions a police officer is exposed to in his/her line of work either. Thus, the extra legitimacy of the police's testimony serves to somewhat remedy this precarious situation that officers often find themselves in, and that sometimes even involve their families.

Of course, I do not claim to be unbiased in regards to this, because I am a son of a police sergeant, brother of another, and nephew to a police chief in the civil police (in the grand land of Br, the state police is divided into two major organizations, the military police, which handles ostensive pratrolling and the more common police work, and the civil police, which handles investigation work). I have lived in this environment for the entirety of my life, to the point I have received threatening phone calls from criminals and whatnot when I was younger. I know what these people are exposed to, and I also know of the ignorance of the general population in regards to this situation. Ignorance often creates the "us vs them" setting we seem to live in nowadays, and its no different in regards to cops x the general populace.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #120529 on: April 06, 2017, 04:18:16 pm »

Somebody described me as a "strange, angry, cynical son of a gun" in a complimenting way. Thanks I guess? I mean I frown/scowl by default, but I'm not (publicly) very mad about things.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #120530 on: April 06, 2017, 04:20:29 pm »

Well I imagine that pointy hat gives you a constant migraine
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #120531 on: April 06, 2017, 04:24:34 pm »

I like to think that it focuses my mind beams so i can fire psychic blasts from the tip
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #120532 on: April 06, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »

At the moon?

I'm sure space aliens are terrified of it. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120533 on: April 06, 2017, 04:49:14 pm »

XCOM always needs recruits, especially psionics.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120534 on: April 06, 2017, 04:53:45 pm »

Here's a stick, over there is an alien. Have fun and maybe next time we actually give you a gun!
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120535 on: April 06, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »

Here's a stick, over there is an alien. Have fun and maybe next time we actually give you a gun!
Now, now. It's not a stick.
It's a cattle prod.
Much better, see?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120536 on: April 06, 2017, 05:54:42 pm »

"Copulation without conversation is not fraternization."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120537 on: April 06, 2017, 05:56:55 pm »

Copulation

Conversation     Fraternisation
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120538 on: April 06, 2017, 05:59:29 pm »

talk to a stranger, hug a friend, and hump a pillow.

Way ahead of you kids.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120539 on: April 06, 2017, 06:02:24 pm »

Two out of these are fraternization though. You'll be court martialed for that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 8034 8035 [8036] 8037 8038 ... 11037