Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8031 8032 [8033] 8034 8035 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14542068 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120480 on: April 05, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »

Jesus Christ. I didn't think that Paradox would top the Satanists in Monks and Mystics, but apparently now they have a literal Combine simulator.

Tell us more.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #120481 on: April 05, 2017, 07:31:02 pm »

Jesus Christ. I didn't think that Paradox would top the Satanists in Monks and Mystics, but apparently now they have a literal Combine simulator.

Tell us more.
Images speak louder than words
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120482 on: April 05, 2017, 07:34:27 pm »

Even when said image is mostly words anyway?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120483 on: April 05, 2017, 07:43:21 pm »

The new Stellaris update breaks new barriers in simulated unspeakable atrocities. Even DF has not reached such lofty, mind-wrenching heights.

The following actions are/will be possible to take against sentient spacefaring races:

- Enslavement (Domestic and/or Military)
- Eating entire races. Literally. You just make them into canned people.
- Corralling and raising said race as food animals (Enslavement probably implied).
- Genetic modification of a race to make them more delicious (no really, +100% food worth).
- Genetic modification of a race to remove their capacity for higher thought.
- Mass-neutering of sentient races, enslavement NOT required.
- AND OTHER HORRIFIC ACTS ™

Creative combination of above actions is also likely possible.

Which is being released tomorrow. :D

Also, on the subject of DLCs and Paradox, Wiz (the director on the Stellaris team) has said that they're trying to reduce the number of DLC (the big ones at least) as much as possible, and also trying to do as much free content with the DLC as possible.

At least theirs are a more reasonable price.

Wish they made the Synthetic ascension path more awesome like the Psionic ascension path, though I hear theres going to be a whole lot of events that happen as you progress through the path.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:46:21 pm by smjjames »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #120484 on: April 05, 2017, 07:45:15 pm »

Tell us more.
Images speak louder than words

It saddens me I can't buy this DLC for another month and a half.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120485 on: April 05, 2017, 07:45:25 pm »

The new Stellaris update breaks new barriers in simulated unspeakable atrocities. Even DF has not reached such lofty, mind-wrenching heights.

The following actions are/will be possible to take against sentient spacefaring races:

- Enslavement (Domestic and/or Military)
- Eating entire races. Literally. You just make them into canned people.
- Corralling and raising said race as food animals (Enslavement probably implied).
- Genetic modification of a race to make them more delicious (no really, +100% food worth).
- Genetic modification of a race to remove their capacity for higher thought.
- Mass-neutering of sentient races, enslavement NOT required.
- AND OTHER HORRIFIC ACTS ™

Creative combination of above actions is also likely possible.

Which is being released tomorrow. :D

Also, on the subject of DLCs and Paradox, Wiz (the director on the Stellaris team) has said that they're trying to reduce the number of DLC (the big ones at least) as much as possible, and also trying to do as much free content with the DLC as possible.

At least theirs are a more reasonable price.

Some of this is in fact free content, its true.

Also, other civs with scruples can underground-railroad populations that are marked as sentient cattle or slavery or extermination.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:02:09 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #120486 on: April 05, 2017, 08:08:44 pm »

Oh god, this is what they meant when they said they didn't want HoI 3 to be an atrocity simulator.  Now I understand.  That could have been so bad.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120487 on: April 05, 2017, 08:13:38 pm »

I'unno, that list seems to be leaving out "can only reproduce via other species", so it's not as bad as it could be. The cannibalistic facehugger lords of galactic debauchery will have to wait for another day.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120488 on: April 05, 2017, 08:14:34 pm »

Oh god, this is what they meant when they said they didn't want HoI 3 to be an atrocity simulator.  Now I understand.  That could have been so bad.

Different team though. Also given more leeway since it's aliens we're talking about here, turning a historical sim into an atrocity simulator would be more touchy simply due to history.

I'unno, that list seems to be leaving out "can only reproduce via other species", so it's not as bad as it could be. The cannibalistic facehugger lords of galactic debauchery will have to wait for another day.

Not sure how they'd program that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120489 on: April 05, 2017, 08:17:23 pm »

Is it odd that I'm kinda happy that Stellaris has the ability for such cruelty built in?

I'm looking forward both to trying out some of these DF-levels of atrocity...and also doing my best to stop such practices in other campaigns.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #120490 on: April 05, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »

Frankly, they sort of started breaking down on HoI. As DDRJake once pointed out, the icon for the most lenient occupation is a fist, and the harshest one is a gun.

Though Paradox is also immensely hypocritical and eurocentric about avoiding "atrocity", with explicit events for things like the Rape of Nanking or several of the Soviet atrocities. In fact, it's not even as general as eurocentrism, it's really just to avoid triggering Germans since they actually buy PDX games and have the ability to effectively restrict them (unlike China, where it's illegal but you can get it anyway).

EU4 also has abstracted genocide.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120491 on: April 05, 2017, 08:25:04 pm »

Not sure how they'd program that.
Well, off the top of my head, you'd start with a slave race (possibly nonsentient, initially) on your home planet, and require a certain amount of extraspecies access (slaves, natives, something specifically gene engineered, hired surrogates, etc.) on a planet for the population of your species to grow. At least so far as basic abstraction goes, I don't think it'd be terribly difficult.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #120492 on: April 05, 2017, 08:28:59 pm »

Since pop growth is directly a consequence of food, "processing" can refer both to literal eating or facehuggers. That Hive Minds automatically do this to other forms of life only helps the comparison. So in a way, they already programmed that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120493 on: April 05, 2017, 08:38:29 pm »

Yeah, looking at it, at least so far as stellaris goes, it'd basically be a hive mind except rather than being willing to destroy natives or being necessarily expansionist, it requires alien population to maintain and grow its own. Probably open up some other ethos to the behavior. Conceptually you could have a peaceful facehugger species, that only uses nonsophonts or consenting free sophonts to propagate. It'd be a helluva' thing to implement. Capitalist facehuggers of galaxy 623 are coming to hire your street walkers.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120494 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:13 pm »

Could totally do it. I mean, you can already park a race on a planet and produce them as food. The same mechanic could be used for reproduction.

I expect it would be difficult to escape your own planet, which could have both yours and another race on it. There's already going to be an option for co-evolution of multiple species. There is an option involved for a symbiotic relationship where one (your race) is dominant.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 8031 8032 [8033] 8034 8035 ... 11037