Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8012 8013 [8014] 8015 8016 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14527183 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120195 on: April 02, 2017, 05:26:08 pm »

That's a bit of an extreme definition of cultural appropriation.

The Daily Mail just wrote about the Slingshot Channel
...The level of outrage they express over that is astounding.
I think the evil laugh plus knife image they put in is the turd cherry on top of the suspiciously smelly mudcake, to be honest. I knew they were always low, but not this low.
They're a redtop. They only care about selling papers, not so much how they go about it.

Bonus points they included the quote "When are Google going to get their act together and stop making money out of vile hatred?"

top kek

Please remember that this article was published on April 1st.

Does this mean every article published yesterday is fake news?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120196 on: April 02, 2017, 05:26:34 pm »

Well yeah... But for the sake of argument... We are assuming that a cultural appropriation ban was put into place like... 20 years ago...

And any words that existed 100 years ago in English are acceptable (because... well... English has VERY few of its own words)
...well, that'd rule out extinct (yet) and monoethnic. World's economy would be in the process of rapidly crashing, though, we'd be losing chunks of our research projects, all sorts of medical complications would have been popping up. Military conflict would be exploding world wide as cultures no longer had the means to meaningfully intercommunicate or exchange/understand ideas and have basically no means of conflict resolution left besides murder or avoidance. Population would probably be approaching a net negative for the first time in centuries. It'd be unpleasant. There may be negatives to the stuff, but we're kiiiinda' reliant on being able to be interested and involved in the cultures of our neighbors and fellow humans to do... most things, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120197 on: April 02, 2017, 05:29:22 pm »

It really freeken isn't and that is the dumb part.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120198 on: April 02, 2017, 05:44:10 pm »

Ah. Well, that makes the answer relatively easy. We'd either be extinct or monoethnic.

Well yeah... But for the sake of argument... We are assuming that a cultural appropriation ban was put into place like... 20 years ago...

And any words that existed 100 years ago in English are acceptable (because... well... English has VERY few of its own words)

Of course, it is important to remember that 'Cultural Appropriation' in practice tends to mean 'Whitey no touch!'. The long-term effects of a hypothetical global Cultural Appropriation ban would be largely influenced on what sort of ban it is.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #120199 on: April 02, 2017, 05:53:45 pm »

More importantly, without it, G Gundam would be incredibly boring.

Who wants a world without Chibodee Crockett?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #120200 on: April 02, 2017, 07:10:40 pm »

Ah. Well, that makes the answer relatively easy. We'd either be extinct or monoethnic.

Of course, it is important to remember that 'Cultural Appropriation' in practice tends to mean 'Whitey no touch!'. The long-term effects of a hypothetical global Cultural Appropriation ban would be largely influenced on what sort of ban it is.

IOW it's not just the foolishness of fundamentally ignorant people, it's all of that with a racist motive behind it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #120201 on: April 02, 2017, 07:29:29 pm »

It really is and it's dumb to act like it isn't.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120202 on: April 02, 2017, 07:34:59 pm »

It really is and it's dumb to act like it isn't.
it is a really stupid definition and I'm saying that as someone who is actually an anthropology student with a pretty good understanding of how cultures work. i can elaborate if you want but its kind of self evidently a foolish thing to argue as its so dumb.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #120203 on: April 02, 2017, 07:47:14 pm »

okay, i actually feel morally obligated to bring this up again, so i'll be vague

someone in a position of authority to confirm or deny rumors regarding a person who keeps their identity secret's real identity confirms them in the same sentence as calling the person whose identity they are confirming a liar. The person doing this confirmation has somewhat of a cult of personality dedicated to them. Does this not count as doxxing or at least incitement for harassment?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:50:30 pm by Putnam »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120204 on: April 02, 2017, 07:49:53 pm »

I'd say it does.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120205 on: April 02, 2017, 08:00:20 pm »

I'd say it does.
Sounds reasonable, at the very least.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #120206 on: April 02, 2017, 08:03:20 pm »

Okay, but.

It involves video games.

Is it now just stupid drama that I should shut up about?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120207 on: April 02, 2017, 08:04:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure confirming someone's identity online in any manner constitutes as doxxing, as per the definition. Whether or not it was for the purposes of harassment, or even intentional on the person's part, it's a pretty shitty thing to do.
Black lives matter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #120208 on: April 02, 2017, 08:09:37 pm »

Thank you.

i don't think I realized it at the time, but yeah, I disappeared for something like a week because I was freaking out over a case like that and was told basically to shut up, go away, nobody cares, it's just stupid drama, when, like, no, this is a pretty clear case of moral badness, you can tell me to stop talking about it but you can't really say it doesn't matter, etc.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120209 on: April 02, 2017, 08:10:26 pm »

*hugs*

Dang.  That's nuts.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 8012 8013 [8014] 8015 8016 ... 11037