Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8008 8009 [8010] 8011 8012 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526879 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120135 on: April 01, 2017, 10:34:38 pm »

I just tuned into Adult Swim on the teevee to watch this week's Samurai Jack, except it seems I can't watch it because it and Dragon Ball Super are both being replaced by the same episode of Rick and Morty instead as a surprise April Fool's joke. Thanks Adult Swim, it's not like I've been waiting for the past week or anything.

That episode is the premiere of Season 3, which shouldn't be airing for another few months.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120136 on: April 02, 2017, 01:43:16 am »

I know that I don't read TV Tropes now because it is kind of terrible now... and has very little quality control (Just see the "Pirates who don't do anything" section... where they turned a "Person of a profession, who doesn't do that profession" into "When someone has a said job, but they don't do it on screen")

But... I am starting to wonder if the people writing it now are... stupid...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BuffySpeak

Yes... a lack of intelligence and loquaciousness. ahuh... totally...

Naturalized dialog be damned.

---

*Reads more*

No TVTropes! The implication is that he hurt himself... it is called "subtlety" not plothole.

Yeah... stupid.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:08:27 am by Neonivek »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120137 on: April 02, 2017, 02:22:27 am »

At least it isn't This Troper.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120138 on: April 02, 2017, 02:23:16 am »

Almost got fired, and almost subsequently almost quit today. Still haven't decided if I will or not.
This?:
I'm starting to wonder if all my coworkers were all dropped on their heads while drinking lead paint. At least one of the pricers is almost certainly pressing buttons at random, and the other one/two are hardly any better. Next, the clothes go to the 2-4 people who put the price tag on the clothes. They're supposed to check that the thing they're putting a price tag on is supposed to be the thing that price tag goes on. They don't. They ticket them so fast that many of them don't have the tag completely in, and they keep wondering how they keep stabbing themselves with the needle.

Yeah, well, it's been going on for several days now*. Apparently, according to my boss, my frustration at this is far more out of line than people not doing their goddamned jobs. Oh, and this is the same manager who, days ago, grabbed a clock that had a string on it, put it around his neck, and pretended to be Flava Flav(despite being white and 400lbs), then later sat in one of those toy wagons shaped like a car and had an employee pull it while pretending to be a baby. How flying fuck has this guy ever held a management position is beyond me.

Your boss kind of sounds like Trump, except zanier.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #120139 on: April 02, 2017, 03:08:10 am »

Individual skittles are called lentils
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120140 on: April 02, 2017, 03:33:05 am »

They are not. Technically the proper singular is skittles, since apparently trade marks are a relative of moose. Practically if they're reduced to singular they're just called a skittle. If you're talking the type of candy itself, outside "candy" it doesn't seem to have one, and to the extent lentil is used to refer to confectionery (barely), it refers to other things.

It does look like two or three people on the wide interwebs call them that, but... they're wrong. Or at least using a term pretty much no one else does. Most people (and by most I mean basically all of them) would be more inclined to hit you with a trout than call a skittle a lentil.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:41:43 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120142 on: April 02, 2017, 03:53:01 am »

Two or three people on the wide interwebs, yes. Makes it no less untrue. You'll find no use on the actual website, or pretty much any official documentation you care to find. One bit in that second link that pointed to something was suffering from failing a reading comprehension check, heh. Closest you'll come is them being called lentil-shaped.
Ask not!
Ask!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #120143 on: April 02, 2017, 04:00:58 am »

Booted up Linux for the first time in forever. Man, I need to do so many updates.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120144 on: April 02, 2017, 05:18:42 am »

The "lentil shaped" phrase turns up in this trademark application for Skittles:
https://trademarks.justia.com/855/47/skittles-85547164.html

They refer to the dot in the I which looks like a Skittle as a lentil-shaped motif. So I would consider that reasonable evidence that the company does in fact use the term "lentil" to refer to individual pieces.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:21:48 am by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120145 on: April 02, 2017, 05:18:47 am »

Almost got fired, and almost subsequently almost quit today. Still haven't decided if I will or not.
This?:
I'm starting to wonder if all my coworkers were all dropped on their heads while drinking lead paint. At least one of the pricers is almost certainly pressing buttons at random, and the other one/two are hardly any better. Next, the clothes go to the 2-4 people who put the price tag on the clothes. They're supposed to check that the thing they're putting a price tag on is supposed to be the thing that price tag goes on. They don't. They ticket them so fast that many of them don't have the tag completely in, and they keep wondering how they keep stabbing themselves with the needle.

Yeah, well, it's been going on for several days now*. Apparently, according to my boss, my frustration at this is far more out of line than people not doing their goddamned jobs. Oh, and this is the same manager who, days ago, grabbed a clock that had a string on it, put it around his neck, and pretended to be Flava Flav(despite being white and 400lbs), then later sat in one of those toy wagons shaped like a car and had an employee pull it while pretending to be a baby. How flying fuck has this guy ever held a management position is beyond me.
Line up another job and then quit.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face, bruh.

4.30AM noise complaint. I get up, get dressed, and head up to the level of the disturbance. The tiles of the walkway are wet, the red fire hose is unwound half a wind. Noise is coming through the motel door—sounds like a bit of a party.
I knock, the noise quietens down, and after a few moments of movement inside, the door swings wide open to answer me. 
Seven blokes are inside, early to mid twenties. Some are lying on the bed, one is peeking out from the doorframe to the bathroom, some just stand frozen; the fella that answered the door is himself half behind the frame. Every single one of them was butt naked. 
Hawt. Did you ask to join?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:20:29 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120146 on: April 02, 2017, 05:24:36 am »

This?:

Your boss kind of sounds like Trump, except zanier.

Ordinarily, he's an okay guy. Just not fit for management in my opinion. For example, for Q1, we've barely missed our sales goal(with an associated bonus) by 1-2% of plan. He's blaming it entirely on two days we were closed due to heavy snow. While that's actually plausible, especially since the amount we missed it by is pretty close to what would have been made in those two days, when you have that slim of a margin, there's quite a bit you can do to bump that up. Making sure employees aren't screwing about is one.

He also should not have been our manager in the first place, except that the manager of another store was caught fabricating numbers(to make their store look better) and was fired, and the company president(the guy overseeing 300+ stores worldwide) ordered the manager of our store to take over that one.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120147 on: April 02, 2017, 05:56:47 am »

The "lentil shaped" phrase turns up in this trademark application for Skittles:
https://trademarks.justia.com/855/47/skittles-85547164.html

They refer to the dot in the I which looks like a Skittle as a lentil-shaped motif. So I would consider that reasonable evidence that the company does in fact use the term "lentil" to refer to individual pieces.
... one oblique reference in a trademark application (that to all appearances was filed in 2012 at the earliest -- early marks don't involve the word, and the candy has been being sold since the early 80s) is evidence, yes, but reasonable isn't exactly the right word when you consider every other of the almost certainly millions of times the company (and just about everyone else) has mentioned the candy, lentil was not involved even when reference was being made to singular pieces. The only corroborating evidence comes from that application and third parties (either by hearsay or what appears to be a single mention on one website that's selling the stuff). Meanwhile, the body of evidence showing they're called something else encompasses something approaching three decades of rather prolific advertisement, sale, and popular use.

Basically, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't pass court without explicit testimony from an internal source, heh. It certainly wouldn't pass the court of public opinion any time soon.
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120148 on: April 02, 2017, 06:11:47 am »

4.30AM noise complaint. I get up, get dressed, and head up to the level of the disturbance. The tiles of the walkway are wet, the red fire hose is unwound half a wind. Noise is coming through the motel door—sounds like a bit of a party.
I knock, the noise quietens down, and after a few moments of movement inside, the door swings wide open to answer me. 
Seven blokes are inside, early to mid twenties. Some are lying on the bed, one is peeking out from the doorframe to the bathroom, some just stand frozen; the fella that answered the door is himself half behind the frame. Every single one of them was butt naked.

I guess the fire hose wasn't the only red hose out tonight.
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120149 on: April 02, 2017, 06:24:18 am »

If I had to describe the phenotype of a skittle-type candy, like an MnM or a reeses piece, I'd sooner call it a button than I would a lentil...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 8008 8009 [8010] 8011 8012 ... 11037