Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7992 7993 [7994] 7995 7996 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14521073 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119895 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:52 am »

I remember a couple years back that someone in, New Zealand I think, tried to name their kid @. Yes, they tried to name their kid the @ symbol.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119896 on: March 28, 2017, 11:22:49 am »

My girlfriend is almost sure that, if we ever have kids, she'll call our first boy Lucifer.

I'm trying to convince her to not do it because our kid will end up being nicknamed ~Lucy~.

What is wrong with that? I am planning on naming my son Lucius. He should be born in July. If he is a boy. We aren't finding out til he is born.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119897 on: March 28, 2017, 11:39:07 am »

If I was in a Latin country I'd name my kid Bonifacio/a or Bonaventuro/a.

I wish I could name a kid Sune but it doesn't sound good in Swedish. So I just have to keep trying to convince people abroad to use it.

Hey Hans, name your kid Sune. It's a great name.
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119898 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:34 am »

How do you pronounce that? Soon or Sue-nay/ney?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119899 on: March 28, 2017, 11:46:37 am »

I was freaking out because I thought I had a programming assignment due today that I had no idea how to do. but it turns out, I have been a month ahead of the due dates the whole semester.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119900 on: March 28, 2017, 11:57:49 am »

I wish I could name a kid Sune but it doesn't sound good in Swedish. So I just have to keep trying to convince people abroad to use it.

I'm pretty sure calling your kid like that is an instant recipe for bullying
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119901 on: March 28, 2017, 12:00:08 pm »

1, I'm pretty sure that's half the point. 2, I'm also pretty sure there doesn't exist names that aren't. School kids find a way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119902 on: March 28, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »

You can try and help your child though.

Like for the love of all that is holy, if your last name is Swallows, what would make you choose 'Richard' as a first name?  (And if that is your name, why oh why would you choose to go by 'Dick' instead of Rich or Rick or Richard?)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119903 on: March 28, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »

1, I'm pretty sure that's half the point. 2, I'm also pretty sure there doesn't exist names that aren't. School kids find a way.
This is true, a quote I remember from 4th grade is "tedophile"
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119904 on: March 28, 2017, 12:13:58 pm »

Su, as in Sumo wrestler. Ne, as in Knell. That would be about right.

I would like to name a child of mine Gideon. He would never hear the end of it in school, but my general plan is that it would teach him that the opinion of some people is worthless. It is, on the whole, the same idea as featured in A Boy Named Sue. Hopefully, with a different result.

A country pub. Old Man Silver at the bar, Silver Jr. steps in.

"Why, good evening, father... There are some things that I would like to talk about."
He smashes a bottle against the wall, and advances with the broken end lifted high.
"Ah. Well, my boy. Do what you must. En garde."
A second bottle, handed by the bartender with his mobile in the other hand, is smashed against the bar, and a fighting ring is cleared for the two combatants.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119905 on: March 28, 2017, 12:17:03 pm »

But... Gideon is a common first name around here. O.o
He's fucking with us.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119906 on: March 28, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »

Less so in the Nordics, generally. It is considered quite old-fashioned, and probably rather posh. Which is perfect for my purposes. It is one of those names that a lot of people have heard, but it is very uncommon as a first name.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119907 on: March 28, 2017, 12:36:27 pm »

Suen-eh, with a short E, like in kept. But I just looked it up and it doesn't mean "sun" like I thought but "son" so it isn't as cool.

Potential names for a daughter of mine would be Linnea (it's a flower), Ylva (she-wolf), Cecilia, or one of the thousands of Emilia/Emily/Emilie variants that exist.

Boys names is much more difficult. I guess I would have to name one Karl as a second name, though, that's a family tradition. Jussi is a pretty cool name. But it's Finnish. Can't give the bastards the satisfaction.

I'm pretty sure calling your kid like that is an instant recipe for bullying

What no they are awesome names why would they do that?
Love, scriver~

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #119908 on: March 28, 2017, 12:38:17 pm »

You can try and help your child though.

Like for the love of all that is holy, if your last name is Swallows, what would make you choose 'Richard' as a first name?  (And if that is your name, why oh why would you choose to go by 'Dick' instead of Rich or Rick or Richard?)

One of my sister's friends is "Sandra Dyck" (aka "Sandy Dyck"). No, I am not joking. Almost as bad is "Fairly Friesen" (another friend, also not a joke). I think some parents are just twisted...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119909 on: March 28, 2017, 12:52:58 pm »

In two subsequent dutch governments we had a Prime minister Lubbers and a Prime minister Kok (pronounce: cock). Those must have been hilarious times for foreign diplomats.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 7992 7993 [7994] 7995 7996 ... 11037