Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7990 7991 [7992] 7993 7994 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14520260 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119865 on: March 27, 2017, 10:06:35 pm »

The most active spambot in bay12 history has come to visit us. Beware its deadly posts!

I wonder if it'll fill up the front page of GD before it gets banhammered...
Huh, what? Where?

In other news, a couple in the States tried to give their daughter the name "Allah".
The state of Georgia (where the child was born) refused to issue a birth certificate with that name.

Wow. inb4 banned because religious mention on the internet

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119866 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:25 pm »

Yeah, as per the article, apparently georgia code mandates a child's initial surname be some combination of the parents'. It being georgia, I can see that being a thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119867 on: March 27, 2017, 11:01:09 pm »

The most active spambot in bay12 history has come to visit us. Beware its deadly posts!

I wonder if it'll fill up the front page of GD before it gets banhammered...
Huh, what? Where?

In other news, a couple in the States tried to give their daughter the name "Allah".
The state of Georgia (where the child was born) refused to issue a birth certificate with that name.

Wow. inb4 banned because religious mention on the internet

Sounds like a really stupid idea to give that name to the kid.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119868 on: March 27, 2017, 11:04:43 pm »

Folks name people jesus or whatev' plenty often, and that's not getting into the actually silly stuff. Poor decision-making is rarely considered sufficient reason to curtail a parent's decisions for their child, particularly for subjects like the kid's name.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119869 on: March 27, 2017, 11:09:22 pm »

Man have to hand it to the latest Hitman...

It probably has the worst metaphor in all of videogames (and I am not exaggerating)... So much so it is hilarious!

So basically there is this disease that harmlessly transmits to people, but is programmed to kill someone with a specific DNA.

So to try to explain it metaphorically (well Simile... eee) by using an analogy of a bullet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #119870 on: March 27, 2017, 11:10:49 pm »

Folks name people jesus or whatev' plenty often, and that's not getting into the actually silly stuff. Poor decision-making is rarely considered sufficient reason to curtail a parent's decisions for their child, particularly for subjects like the kid's name.
Maybe there's a cultural or otherwise reason? :O Coming internationally, I'm unsure what's the local stance on it...
We've had nice names here too!

[...]
Only time I played hitman was on my nephew's PC. :v First time ever introduced to it...and having fun with ragdoll physics ._. And the "Ballers"!
Is it the same there? :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119871 on: March 27, 2017, 11:14:29 pm »

Naw the ragdoll was toned down. I also should find a video with that metaphor but I don't think other people find it as hilarious as me.

I think it went something like

"Imagine a bullet, fired from anywhere in the world, that would pass harmlessly target to target, until killing its intended" or along those lines.

I mean... "Imagine a bullet that when fired from anywhere in the world would kill its intended target" is a good enough metaphor.

Yet when you have to jump through hoops... maybe don't make it a bullet. (though it might actually be showing how completely abnormal these people are... that they have to think of everything in terms of tools of assassination)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119872 on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:26 am »

This is more in the realm of naming your kid Yahweh, though.

I mean shit, I feel less sorry for the kid named Evangelion Unit One growing up than a kid named Allah. Parental publicity stunts are bad enough without imposing the risk of physical harm in addition to emotional. Kids ain't accessories, give 'em names, not topical memes or nouns associated with your interests.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119873 on: March 28, 2017, 12:44:34 am »

Yeah, Jesus/Josua are actual names and more akin to Mohammed as far as naming goes.
Love, scriver~

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #119874 on: March 28, 2017, 12:56:16 am »

This is more in the realm of naming your kid Yahweh, though.

I mean shit, I feel less sorry for the kid named Evangelion Unit One growing up than a kid named Allah. Parental publicity stunts are bad enough without imposing the risk of physical harm in addition to emotional. Kids ain't accessories, give 'em names, not topical memes or nouns associated with your interests.
Yeah uh: https://www.behindthename.com/name/joshua
It's literally what it is. It's both "Jesus" and "Yahweh is Salvation." Joshua as a christian name is basically "Mohammedallahuakbar." It's just that you don't notice it because christian Mohammedallahuakbar sounds like a perfectly reasonable and normal name to you because you probably know several of them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119875 on: March 28, 2017, 01:01:22 am »

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Joshua just Jesus's name before translation shenanigans?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119876 on: March 28, 2017, 01:04:22 am »

Goodness I can't believe I only noticed it now..

HOW THE CRUD does Kaiba's hologram technology even work?

Not in terms of making holograms but in the sense that it always makes full scale 3d models... no matter what the card is...

Even if it is one of a kind unreleased monsters written in a dead secret language.

not to mention the card reader just KNOWS what the monsters do.

For some "Magic" is a good enough explanation... But why would it know what Toon World is?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119877 on: March 28, 2017, 01:08:10 am »

pegasus is also a technology supergenius deeeesu

oh, and related to the topic: deeeesu

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119878 on: March 28, 2017, 01:10:21 am »

There actually aren't any holograms, the glove actually contains a hidden IV that feeds the user hallucinogenic and suggestive drugs, causing them to see what they think the card should look like.

Kaiba Corp would face near-dissolution five years later, when an investigative journalist demonstrated the true function of the system.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119879 on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:34 am »

Usually "drugs" is just as good an explanation as "Magic".
Plus it comes with all the satisfaction of "it was all a dream".
Pages: 1 ... 7990 7991 [7992] 7993 7994 ... 11037