Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7986 7987 [7988] 7989 7990 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519665 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119805 on: March 26, 2017, 11:19:01 pm »

It's been about like that for a good long while, though. Wager at least a decade, possibly longer. Yahoo's commentable bits didn't take much time from inception to start getting nasty. Might be more pervasive these days, I suppose...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #119806 on: March 26, 2017, 11:24:01 pm »

Internet's internet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #119807 on: March 27, 2017, 12:05:43 am »

Comments are, in a word, terrible. Comments for news articles especially so. Even Youtube comments are usually filled with less hatred and vitriol.

I think the only comments for news articles that are not consistently awful (that I've seen) are the comments for the New York Times, and even with those YMMV.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #119808 on: March 27, 2017, 02:18:19 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

So,

a bizarre comedy youtube account that went inactive almost a decade ago (back in 2008) recently resurfaced (about a month ago). I hadn't heard about this. I was going to give a description of the whole thing here, but I think it's better for those who don't know about it to see for themselves. This link is only the beginning.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #119809 on: March 27, 2017, 04:15:53 am »

When I turned my notebook on, Rome: Total War suddenly launched without any warning.

Off-Topic: Any Total War players/vets here? How do you fight Romans as Barbarian faction, namely Britannia?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119810 on: March 27, 2017, 04:25:50 am »

iirc the ai doesnt know how to reserve men.  Send in chaff and circle around once the romans commit to the fight (they can still pull out before they contact) and hammer the flanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

So,

a bizarre comedy youtube account that went inactive almost a decade ago (back in 2008) recently resurfaced (about a month ago). I hadn't heard about this. I was going to give a description of the whole thing here, but I think it's better for those who don't know about it to see for themselves. This link is only the beginning.
worth a snort
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119811 on: March 27, 2017, 04:45:15 am »

Yeah IMO there's chariots and 'night....' something ambusher barbs - both of those are basically required.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119812 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:12 am »

Man I just don't get this gaming generation. Maybe it is just the ONE steam conversation I got and isn't representative of the community as a whole...

But I made a topic about how I think the game's DLC should have more main game interaction such as victory unlocks or maybe a few new features even if it is side content. Instead of all the DLC being completely side modes that don't affect the main game in anyway.

Yet the response I got is that...

Games should absolutely not ever have DLC content that affects the main game PERIOD! and that having DLC that affects the main game means that it is cut content no matter what.

Man gamers are getting weird to me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119813 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:00 pm »

... dlc that effects main story or whatever stuff is generally still called an outright expansion. Or sequel or something. It's not as strident as whatever you ran into, but there's definitely some animus towards devs that lock major features behind dlc. Keeping people that buy your game from experiencing all the stuff you intended to be core to the game (and main story scale changes generally are) without paying more is something of a dick move. Basically selling an unfinished product, usually without telling the consumer that's what they're buying.

Cut content probably isn't the right term for it, exactly, since sometimes it's stuff that wasn't part of the initial conception, but it's something along those lines. Marketing/framing can help mitigate the reaction, though. Just call it an expansion and make sure it's decently hefty content wise and there probably won't be much backlash... so long as it's not like 0 day dlc or somethin', anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119814 on: March 27, 2017, 12:04:25 pm »

The nearby high school had this on the electronic sign:
"MANDATORY STUDENT/PARENT PROM/LAWYER MEETING 5/11 @ 5PM"
Might have gotten the time wrong, I didn't see it clearly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119815 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:11 pm »

Tbh, the modern gaming 'critic' scene on youtube and in general has basically made any mention of DLC a naughty word. If you call it DLC, it's bad. But if you call it 'an expansion pack' or something from the good ol' days of gaming, then it's perfectly fine.

The nearby high school had this on the electronic sign:
"MANDATORY STUDENT/PARENT PROM/LAWYER MEETING 5/11 @ 5PM"
Might have gotten the time wrong, I didn't see it clearly.

so if you're a student or parents, you're having a meeting about the prom and/or a lawyer?

That's a really confusing sign. Presumably it makes sense for those in the know, but still :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119816 on: March 27, 2017, 02:52:12 pm »

Tbh, the modern gaming 'critic' scene on youtube and in general has basically made any mention of DLC a naughty word. If you call it DLC, it's bad. But if you call it 'an expansion pack' or something from the good ol' days of gaming, then it's perfectly fine.

So basically people are tripping up due to semantics?

It explains why they said the only DLC that ever worked for the main game without breaking it... was Pillars of Eternity.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #119817 on: March 27, 2017, 03:15:51 pm »

I agree with that tho.  Expansion packs were usually good deals.

DLC was broken from the start because of Microsoft requiring every game on Xbox 360 to have DLC.  So you got stuff like 2$ weapon DLC in games that had a substandard number of weapons (ME 2 and DE:HR, for example, had only 1 or 2 weapons of each type, and like a dozen total, in a AAA shooter game), or the Mirror's Edge devs literally tossing internal testing content in as time trials.  And since in that era most AAA games were released on PS3+Xbox 360+PC at the same time, it was basically mandated that all AAA devs on all platforms needed to find an excuse for day 1 DLC. 

I don't think developers or fans really wanted it.  Developers considered DLC with a conventional (aka not FTP) distribution model kinda a waste of time, since you could never sell more of it than the base game, and since DLC was usually both cheap and unpopular it didn't take many man-hours for you to be losing money.  Since fanbases tend to decline over time without free updates, DLC is most profitable day 1, and as a result devs were forced to paywall content that they would have included normally.  And the fact that it was normalized because everyone was doing it, meant that producers were enabled and encouraged to be moneygrabbing and force devs to paywall things.

From a developer perspective, the most toxic aspect of DLC was that it would split multiplayer communities.  Many games of that generation had tragically short MP lifespans, dead within 3 months at the absolute most.  What happened in many cases is a map DLC would be released, and either the playerbase would be split into multiple queues (which would inevitably result in one queue or the other dying, and many people leaving the community), or worse, everyone would be put in the same server but people would be kicked if a DLC map they didn't have came up in the rotation.  Halo 3 and CoD could survive this by sheer weight of players, but many new MP titles found that a map DLC would be the kiss of death, torpedoing a MP community within days.

Expansion packs like Brood Wars had similar problems, but the thing is since games weren't a service yet that was the only real way devs had of extending a game's lifespan.  Game communities naturally die off if no new content is added.  I do believe there are better ways to keep a community going now, but for a SP game I much prefer expansions to DLC (well, newstyle DLC, its all DLC in the end).  For MP communities the most important thing is to never split the community, so neither expansions or DLC is the way to go there, unless you're very careful about how you do it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119818 on: March 27, 2017, 03:17:10 pm »

I mean, the sentiment is only there because it was abused. Enough people experienced it personally that the feeling had enough weight to take root and spread into the community.

It's another one of the many by products of the indie game bubble.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119819 on: March 27, 2017, 03:21:51 pm »

That explains why a LOT of games are selling Season Passes...

Whether or not they have any plans or real inclination to really produce anything of substance.

As well as why the actual content of said Season passes are shrinking while prices are going up. To the point where completely useless season passes aren't so much an oddity but something you have to look out for.
Pages: 1 ... 7986 7987 [7988] 7989 7990 ... 11037