Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7985 7986 [7987] 7988 7989 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519742 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119790 on: March 26, 2017, 01:00:00 pm »

I found a professional, fairly political article in which the comments section had a better standard of debate, on the whole, than the article itself.

This... surely violates a law of nature.

https://ssir.org/articles/entry/the_elitist_philanthropy_of_so_called_effective_altruism

One wheel short of a wagon

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119791 on: March 26, 2017, 03:00:03 pm »

Debate? All I see is a bunch of EA fanboys getting hung up on the somewhat hostile tone of the interview, and occasionally giving counter-arguments to isolated claims in the article.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119792 on: March 26, 2017, 04:52:41 pm »

fanboys... somewhat hostile
This is why I worry about EA as a movement... all their main critics are either anti-capitalist academics or act like jerks  :P
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119793 on: March 26, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »

You know, I tried to think of a good base building sim, but couldnt.

Besides the obvious DF.  And like Evil Genius.  I liked that one ...  They really should make a second.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119794 on: March 26, 2017, 05:00:28 pm »

Eh, if you're into EG, the dungeon keeper games might suit your fancy. Buncha' different attempts at spiritual successors in the last few years, too, though I couldn't say which ones approach decent.

Then you've got stuff like Stronghold (both the castle focused one and the much older fantasy town builder thingummy), maybe stuff along the lines of Zeus (though that's more city than just base), all sorts of mess off in that direction.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119795 on: March 26, 2017, 05:06:36 pm »

I played DKI wow, back when.

Liked it enough.

Zues doesnt quite sound like a thing Id want - the fantasy aspect is or should be secondary.

I think that adding magic to DF will hurt it, even if I would looove to see the effects of magic artifacts in worldgen.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119796 on: March 26, 2017, 05:25:09 pm »

Liked it enough.

Zues doesnt quite sound like a thing Id want - the fantasy aspect is or should be secondary.

I think that adding magic to DF will hurt it, even if I would looove to see the effects of magic artifacts in worldgen.
Newer on the base management front is Oxygen Not Included, also Rimworld.

As for DF and magic: I am pretty sure Toady stated that there will be a worldgen option to control how magical the world is.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119797 on: March 26, 2017, 05:26:06 pm »

Eh, I'd definitely say the magic aspect is secondary for zeus, from what I played of it. It's primarily city management with some fantasy/mythological aspects included. There's a handful of less fantastic city builders along a similar vein, though. Think some even using the same engine. Just can't remember what the major ones were called.
Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119798 on: March 26, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »

Caesar III, Pharaoh, Emperor ROTMK?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119799 on: March 26, 2017, 05:41:27 pm »

Yeah, that sounds like it. They were pretty well liked in their time, iirc. Not strictly speaking base building, but it's something fairly close to it. Somewhere between as small scale as EG or something as wide as Civ or whatev'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119800 on: March 26, 2017, 06:23:04 pm »

They're basically like SimCity, except a bit more unit-oriented (and with more specific economic models). They're also pretty hardcore if you don't know the winning strats, I remember getting stuck on the 4th Caesar 3 mission for ages.
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119801 on: March 26, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »

Actually had Pharaoh fired up for the past hour or so, had little experience with this one, though I've played Caesar 3 and 4, and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. The first mission where you can build farms, it required six houses of the highest available quality, plus a population of 600 separate from that. Using up all the available land where I built my houses, I had about at least a dozen of the required-size houses, all the industries covered, but my population was around 450. Then houses started devolving due to a lack of pottery despite the bazaar and storage yard being full of pottery(plus devolved housing causes nearby houses to devolve). Then the pottery maker(followed by the storage yard) burned down.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119802 on: March 26, 2017, 08:34:03 pm »

Liked it enough.

If you end up liking Caesar III, Pharaoh and the others you may as well try Zeus. The magical aspect of it is not much more than in the other games.

Caesar III: Building temples to the gods can give you blessings from them occationally. Mars can kill off invading armies just as they arrive.
Pharaoh: I can't exactly remember, might have an effect on how good the Nile flooding is that year for one of the gods. Disease outbreaks etc.
Zeus: Some maps have mythological monsters you have to defeat. These can only be defeated by summoning a specific god by building that gods temple. Temple of Heracles to defeat Hydra and similar.
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom: The god/ancestor system is a bit more involved as they walk along the roads spreading benefits to surrounding houses. I haven't played Emperor myself so I can't remember much more.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119803 on: March 26, 2017, 08:45:45 pm »

Two main differences between Emperor and its predecessors is that houses don't need to be near workplaces anymore(just free unemployed people) and that houses don't have an intrinsic desirability rating - part of the cause of that rolling housing devolution I mentioned before. Another big feature is the ability to place gates allowing specific kinds of service providers through, for example allowing the market seller into your residential area but not allowing the building inspector out of the same residential area(which might cause him to skip houses, which then catch fire). The previous games lacked this to my knowledge, only having the general roadblocks that block all servicers.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #119804 on: March 26, 2017, 10:59:32 pm »

I was browsing Yahoo for a few minutes, checking articles present there and when scrolling into the comments. . .many of them, even the top rated ones, are filled with sass and hate (if the article is about LGBT/connections with that and celebrities), to the entire idea anyway. ._. (Or at least saturated with the idea that people coming out is just a publicity stunt...I'm not certain, being disconnected from all these)

Although checking other articles have the very same vibe and theme--surface generalization, grouping people into some political "left", and divisive thinking/commentary. And it's generally all with thumbs up marks.
. . .
This wasn't how I recalled it when I visited years earlier. :-\
Pages: 1 ... 7985 7986 [7987] 7988 7989 ... 11037