Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7970 7971 [7972] 7973 7974 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516682 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119565 on: March 20, 2017, 06:35:28 pm »

Now the key question: Are your hallucinations truly fictional, or can you simply see a reality to which the rest of us are blind....?

*Backs away from wall (and its possible polterspiders)*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119566 on: March 20, 2017, 06:36:37 pm »

May I suggest reading up on spider identification for your home region?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119567 on: March 20, 2017, 06:48:03 pm »

I've encountered or killed examples of pretty much all of them, heh. Only one native to this area that gets into the size range in question is banana spiders, and they both mostly stay outside, look rather different, and don't have an inconsistent relationship with physical existence. They're also usually pretty darn chill. I got no worry from banana spiders. Only time they cause trouble is when you're going through the woods and don't see one hanging between trees and get a face full of face sized spider. Fortunately have avoided that particular experience, but I've seen it happen. It makes adult men make rather odd noises.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:51:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119568 on: March 20, 2017, 06:49:04 pm »

Now the key question: Are your hallucinations truly fictional, or can you simply see a reality to which the rest of us are blind....?

*Backs away from wall (and its possible polterspiders)*
Don't be ridiculous, even the real spiders are mostly harmless.

The fish in the mirrors, on the other hand...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119569 on: March 20, 2017, 06:55:06 pm »

It is settled, then. I will commence my life as a hermit living in squalor, mumbling mantras to myself and rocking back and forth on the floor of a dingy cell at the top of a barren island cliff, in order to avoid the wall-spiders and mirror-fish. I recognise this as a vain attempt, but I believe an effort must be made.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119570 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:26 pm »

No-one has considered the most likely concept, that large spiders have recently learned to cloak themselves like Romulans.

They can tell when you are looking at them, whereupon they begin to bend light to hide themselves. It just takes a moment for effect to activate.

Noone is safe.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #119571 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:26 pm »

Considering the phrasing... did you have one? You didn't say you didn't. But all the same, it's quite presumptuous to tell someone that.
I was very careful with my phrasing.

Uhh...I don't think randomly hallucinating at all is a good thing to begin with...
Perhaps it depends on the person?

I only hallucinate after 36-48 hours awake. It's not particularly spooky, nor do I ever hallucinate something interesting. It's less a proper hallucination and more my brain's ability to discern what something is going haywire for a second. Like you know the optical illusions where you have two images at once? Like the young-woman/old-woman, or the rabbit-duck? Well, for me hallucinations take the form of that: almost like a trick of the light or something, but a pure product of the brain. So my brain's ability to discern what something is or isn't flickers like that sometimes, like a dying light-bulb. Perhaps that's a product of how I imagine things. I genuinely struggle to create and maintain a stable imagined image in my head. It's like trying to watching tv on a bad connection: the image tends to disintegrate into fragments.

It's not terribly fun, but after 48 hours of wakefulness, I generally have other, more pressing problems.
No-one has considered the most likely concept, that large spiders have recently learned to cloak themselves like Romulans.

They can tell when you are looking at them, whereupon they begin to bend light to hide themselves. It just takes a moment for effect to activate.

Noone is safe.
But now see then why don't they cloak themselves when I kill them? Clearly cloaking technology is frowned upon in spider society.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119572 on: March 20, 2017, 07:51:59 pm »

A disintegrating imagined landscape? That's interesting. My imagination tends to conjure static images, usually revolving around a meaningful theme or symbol. (Man with sword against darkness, old person and child both smiling.) Wonder which of our approaches is more strange.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119573 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:55 pm »

You know when I was a kid I invented a videogame RPG character

Who was a baby who wielded a mace slash baby rattle.

My friend said he was stupid... Little did he know I was basically prophetic in where JRPGs were going :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119574 on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:32 pm »

There's a JRPG with a badass mace-rattle wielding baby?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119575 on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:41 pm »

Considering the phrasing... did you have one? You didn't say you didn't. But all the same, it's quite presumptuous to tell someone that.
I was very careful with my phrasing.

Uhh...I don't think randomly hallucinating at all is a good thing to begin with...
Perhaps it depends on the person?

I only hallucinate after 36-48 hours awake. It's not particularly spooky, nor do I ever hallucinate something interesting. It's less a proper hallucination and more my brain's ability to discern what something is going haywire for a second. Like you know the optical illusions where you have two images at once? Like the young-woman/old-woman, or the rabbit-duck? Well, for me hallucinations take the form of that: almost like a trick of the light or something, but a pure product of the brain. So my brain's ability to discern what something is or isn't flickers like that sometimes, like a dying light-bulb. Perhaps that's a product of how I imagine things. I genuinely struggle to create and maintain a stable imagined image in my head. It's like trying to watching tv on a bad connection: the image tends to disintegrate into fragments.

It's not terribly fun, but after 48 hours of wakefulness, I generally have other, more pressing problems.

Noone is safe.
But now see then why don't they cloak themselves when I kill them? Clearly cloaking technology is frowned upon in spider society.

It's probably reserved for their most trusted and dangerous specimens.

Spiders are malevolent abominations bent on the destruction of humanity, you see. This only shows that they are becoming more advanced and organized.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119576 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:38 pm »

There's a JRPG with a badass mace-rattle wielding baby?
Probably referencing the way JRPG characters range from "young" to "elementary school", with ridiculous weapons.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #119577 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:04 pm »

Well, i wouldn't be surprised if a rattlemace turned up one day. :v

Also re: hallucinations, the only times i get those are when i'm basically on the verge of falling asleep. They tend to be surprising, however; i've had trees briefly turn into a T-rex, and a shine on top of my closed laptop into a dragonfly. I usually wake up after that happens. :P

A disintegrating imagined landscape? That's interesting. My imagination tends to conjure static images, usually revolving around a meaningful theme or symbol. (Man with sword against darkness, old person and child both smiling.) Wonder which of our approaches is more strange.
see now you're just making me want to make a thread about how each of us thinks (i.e. text, sound, images...)

my brain tends to favour animated cartoons with sound, for what it's worth
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #119578 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:44 pm »

Enough watching and playing video games with dialogue boxes has made me visualize what people are saying.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #119579 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:25 pm »

Oh not just landscapes, it's whatever I'm trying to focus on. It's also fairly inconsistent. Just now I was repeatedly trying to imagine a single image of a woman (it's actually a specific image I've seen several times recently). One time I got the whole image, but only for a second. Another time I could only picture the outline of their face, and another time only the eyes were clear to me. Sometimes focusing on something makes it harder to hold steady; whereas images that I don't really think about are more stable, and are even capable of motion, but disintegrate as I focus on them. It can be somewhat unpleasant. Once I was trying to generate faces of girls (not that I could easily generate male faces, but I only attempted to generate female ones for some particular reason) and it went over so poorly I couldn't even remember what female faces looked like at all. Couldn't even remember my mother's face, and she was just in the next room. When I remember things about an image (like a map, say), it's usually logical conclusions, like "Location X is to the right of Y" instead of actually being able to remember what the map looked like.

And yet I have no such problem with sound. Can clearly replicate any sound I can remember (can't remember every sound, but everything I can remember I remember perfectly), modulate it however I wish, and play it back as many times as I want. I can listen to songs in my head that seem just as good as listening to the real deal. It's a little difficult to do something like imagining my mother singing the Anthem of Springfield (from the Simpson's movie, which is to the tune of La Marseillaise), but it's doable, whereas I couldn't hope to imagine something like that visually.

This is on topic because it's pretty WTF on its own. No idea why it's like that at all. No idea if other people have it completely different.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 7970 7971 [7972] 7973 7974 ... 11037