Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7959 7960 [7961] 7962 7963 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514219 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119400 on: March 17, 2017, 01:01:52 pm »

None of those things are basic sportsmanship.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119401 on: March 17, 2017, 01:02:22 pm »

None of that is considered good sportsmanship. Seriously, what the heck?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #119402 on: March 17, 2017, 01:04:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Where are we? Victorian England?

Neon, social convention == One Of the Best Things Humans Ever Did

Yes, it can warp us, break us, force people to do terrible things, but it's also what has bound us into anything more than animals.

I would recommend Marmor's excellent book on the topic, Social Conventions: From Language to Law.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119403 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:09 pm »

YOU would be surprised!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:07:10 pm by Neonivek »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119404 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »

YOU would be surprised!

Neon. You are in great danger of crossing the Trump barrier.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #119405 on: March 17, 2017, 01:07:32 pm »

Seriously what the fuck are you actually on about Neon? Or is this another case of not actually bringing up the point because for some reason you'd rather type vague sentence fragments than have anything resembling a conversation?

Look if anytihng, GG started because it's a quick text only way to acknowledge that you understand someone else is behind the screen. Any sort of politeness to it is a slight nod that recognizes you just played against an actual human being than anything super sportsman like or anything. It's already had it's time and now it's more a leftover when people tend to just shout and scream at eachother over losses if they even stop to recognize the other player is an actual human being AT ALL.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119406 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:15 pm »

Hockey.

Not anymore mind you as we have started to change the regulations... But yes Hockey fully supported this behavior and it was expected of you.

GG started

My issue is more... when it is enforced.

Heck, I am sure if you just said "I didn't enjoy this game" after a match on a MOBA you might get reported.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #119407 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:33 pm »

But that's not a social convention, that's a (Corrupt obviosuly) industry convention much like steroids were pushed for baseball and pro wrestling. They're not the same thing at all.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119408 on: March 17, 2017, 01:12:14 pm »

But that's not a social convention, that's a (Corrupt obviosuly) industry convention much like steroids were pushed for baseball and pro wrestling. They're not the same thing at all.

To my knowledge fans were totally fine with enforcers for the vast majority of Hockey.

Not to mention in other sports the more... "Cheaty" aspects are mostly supported by the fans.

Though I have no idea why I am in an argument where I am honestly being told that "Because it is a convention that means it is automatically a good thing! Because it is part of manners it means it is completely genuine... Because you have a problem with it, that means you are automatically an unreasonable moron!"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:14:21 pm by Neonivek »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #119409 on: March 17, 2017, 01:15:41 pm »

So is nobody else confused that Neo claimed that 'Please' was falling to the wayside, or was it just me
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119410 on: March 17, 2017, 01:17:53 pm »

To my knowledge fans were totally fine with enforcers for the vast majority of Hockey.

Not to mention in other sports the more... "Cheaty" aspects are mostly supported by the fans.

Though I have no idea why I am in an argument where I am honestly being told that "Because it is a convention that means it is automatically a good thing! Because it is part of manners it means it is completely genuine... Because you have a problem with it, that means you are automatically an unreasonable moron!"

No, you are saying that sportsmanship means cheating, steroid use and violence, then being told that that's not what the word means at all.

You realize the word "sportsmanship" exists in contexts besides eeeevil professional sports, right? Children passing a ball can exhibit poor sportsmanship and good sportsmanship, much as can professional players, wrestlers, MMA fighters, e-sports teams, casual LoL or DOTA players, or even somebody playing a single-player game by themselves. It includes concept like obeying the rules of the contest, accepting both defeat and victory with humility, behaving professionally before, during and after the game, and playing to the best of your ability at all times.

You can't just take the word "sportsmanship" and apply it to a specific thing in a specific sport that you are peeved about.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119411 on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:10 pm »

So is nobody else confused that Neo claimed that 'Please' was falling to the wayside, or was it just me

Funny enough... looking this up to link an article got me two results back to back

One by a psychologist who Is basically saying: "STOP saying please and thank you so dang much!"

Another by someone with no qualifications saying: "ALWAYS SAY IT!!! ALWAYS!!!"

Kind of interesting.

Though what I meant is. People use Please a lot less... Mostly because using it is becoming more and more inappropriate. Something only children should use constantly and adults use sparingly.

You can't just take the word "sportsmanship" and apply it to a specific thing in a specific sport that you are peeved about.

Sportsmanship is whatever applies to the sport and it is what is EXPECTED out of that sport.

If the sport required you to drop F-Bombs to the opponent after every match. It would be good sportsmanship to F-Bomb them. This is regardless of how the regulations on soft feather tickle fighting goes.

You can't apply a fantasy version of sports onto real sports.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:22:43 pm by Neonivek »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #119412 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:48 pm »

Things a sportsman does does not necessarily constitute good sportsmanship, to put it simply.

Funny enough... looking this up to link an article got me two results back to back

One by a psychologist who Is basically saying: "STOP saying please and thank you so dang much!"

Another by someone with no qualifications saying: "ALWAYS SAY IT!!! ALWAYS!!!"

Kind of interesting.

I would ask you to cite your sources, but I imagine that that would be a lesson in futility.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119413 on: March 17, 2017, 01:23:12 pm »

No one has said any of those things.

You have, however, stated that Drugs are Good sportsmanship, and cited (without any sources) and example that (by your own admission) no longer occurs. That's like claiming that fucking a man's wife on his wedding day is good conduct because Prima Nocta used to be a thing.

At this point I'm just watching this train burn.

It did make me actually google GG in MOBAs though, so I suppose this discussion as broadened me. Turns out you can get reported if you say GG EZ instead of GG, which is a bit too much nannyism for my tastes.

Sportsmanship is whatever applies to the sport and it is what is EXPECTED out of that sport.

No it isn't.
---

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119414 on: March 17, 2017, 01:25:05 pm »

If the sport required you to drop F-Bombs to the opponent after every match. It would be good sportsmanship to F-Bomb them. This is regardless of how the regulations on soft feather tickle fighting goes.

You can't apply a fantasy version of sports onto real sports.

It's literally the dictionary definition.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster dictionary
conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 7959 7960 [7961] 7962 7963 ... 11037